Almost 2 wks post op & ready to get moving | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Almost 2 wks post op & ready to get moving Almost 2 wks post op & ready to get moving

Unread 12-18-2001, 10:14 AM
Almost 2 wks post op & ready to get moving

Tomorrow I will hit the 2 week mark & I will officially start driving. I was thinking of taking over grocery shopping now, and starting to do some light house work, like dusting things I don't have to bend over to reach, folding laundry if dh will get it out of the dryer for me, & taking over dinner (simple meals, only). I told my dh that I still wouldn't lift anything or do any bending. Dh & i also discussed the fact that I will tire easily & probably won't get as much done as I want to. I still won't do any dishes, vaccum, sweep , mop or clean bathrooms. Dh is agreeable to all this, as long as I still feel good & don't get too tired. Does this sound like too much for 2 wks post tvh? It's just so hard to sit around all the time when there is so much to be done & my dh is so busy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2001, 10:27 AM
Not me

I will also be two weeks post op tomorrow from TAH/BSO. I am so tired. I will drive tomorrow to visit my doctor but I can't imagine doing anything other than that. I wonder if I am normal. I have a vertical incision that is still weeping. I started getting dressed yesterday and that has helped my mental status. I would also be interested in others opinions about the right amount of activity level.

Unread 12-18-2001, 10:41 AM
Two Weeks Post OP (Dec 4 )

Hello Ladies!

I had my TAH/BSO on Dec 4th. On December 10 I went shopping and yesterday I spent all day at the mall Christmas shopping. I have been helping out around the house, but I'm not driving yet. The shopping left me tired, but I expected that. I actually think I'm doing better since I've started to get back into the swing of things. I think you should follow your bodies guide. It will let you know when enough is enough.

Take Care & Be sure to rest.
Allyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2001, 10:41 AM

Hello ladies,

The first and foremost thing to remember is that everyone recovers at her own rate. The second thing is to follow doctors orders. Maybe those two should be reversed - but you know what I mean!

I'll be three weeks post tomorrow. At two weeks I was pulling my hair out I was SO bored but I wasn't ready to be that active yet. Even now I'm mentally ready to be more active but as soon as I do a little too much - I'm right back in bed with a sore crampy belly. There is so much internal recovery that has to happen yet. I am just now starting to think about driving - I didn't feel like I could slam the brakes on without pulling something until now.

One wise HysterSister gave me a rule of thumb to follow in these early weeks - and it has helped. For every hour you are up and active (and remember, sitting at the computer is considered an activity because you aren't reclining) another hour should be spent resting in a reclining position. Since I got that advise, I have felt much better about my activity level, and don't feel I've had as many set backs.

Hope this helps - but I'll be interested to hear what others say also. Balancing activity with resting is one of the hardest parts of recovery.

Best Wishes!
Unread 12-18-2001, 10:55 AM

Hi cw511, I just wanted to jump in here on the grocery shopping. Be sure to think that through completely before attemping to go it alone. I didn't do anything at the store alone until about 4 weeks post op. The absolute worse thing I found was pushing the cart. I rode along to take my DD back to college at about 2 1/2 weeks post op. She wanted some dorm food, so we stopped at the grocery on the way. I was just along for the ride, so I was following them around. I got tired really quickly and said, let me push the cart, that way I can use it like a cane sort of and lean on it. Well after about 2 isles and turning corners, I realized that I was having pains that I wasn't having before we came into the store. It was from the pressure it took to push, but especially turn the cart. (It had pop in it so it was a little heavy.) I gave it back to my DD and didn't push another cart for a couple of weeks. I was sore for 2 days from it. Shopping, takes bending, lifting, pushing, carrying, stretching, etc. It is definately an activity and a very busy one at that. Take care and don't rush back into the store to soon.
Unread 12-18-2001, 12:15 PM

I also felt better when I got up and got moving, I think all the laying around makes you gassy and the inactivity leaves you weak so that when you first return to work you are exausted.
I did the laundry, loading dishwasher ect soon as I came home. If something hurt, I didn't do it. I went back to work part time at 5 days, if I got tired I went home. When I went shopping about 1 week post op, DH drove and put everything in the cart and emptied the cart at check out, if I got tired I waited in the car after sececting what I wanted. If you listen to your body it will tell you if you are doing too much. I had a hard time with the lifting thing, I don't think I lifted anything for about 4 months. Some Drs want you to lay around, some Dr's feel its better to keep as active as possable without harming yourself. We are all different and we all recover at a different rate. If I layed around I got such muscle and hip joint pain from the inactivity.
Unread 12-18-2001, 01:11 PM

Hello Everyone,
Well, I am two weeks postop today from a tvh and I am happy to say that I have been active and happy for the last two weeks, with my doctor's blessing. When I left the hospital, the only restrictions that my doctor gave me was that I was to rest a lot, not overtire myself, and no lifting. One week postop I was out and about, finishing up my Christmas shopping. I have been cooking light meals since then also and doing laundry after my dh brings it down to the laundry room for me.
We just spent two days in Baltimore's Inner Harbor, going down to help the Steelers beat the Ravens in the Sunday night game--again with my doctor's blessing. We were with a group of eight and I am proud to say that I was able to keep up with them most of the time as they toured the harbor and I made it through the whole game, carefully sitting on a pillow and wrapped in a blanket. When we got home yesterday, I did spend the rest of the day in bed, just to be on the safe side, but today I feel great.
We leave next week for a week in Las Vegas, a vacation planned before we knew about the surgery and which my doctor guaranteed we would still be able to take!
I sometimes ask myself if I really had this surgery done because I feel so good. I had absolutely no gas pains and only took 4 pain pills since I have been home, mostly because they make me sleepy and sleep is something that seems to elude me now. I attribute most of my good feeling with the fact that my doctor encouraged me to move around and not baby myself. I keep hearing that everyone's recovery is different and I am very happy that mine has been so easy so far but I definitely would not have done any of this without my doctor's approval.
Unread 12-19-2001, 08:37 PM

I too am 2.5 weeks post-op and have felt great. I stayed overnight in the hospital after surgery and it nearly drove me nuts being in the bed. I am having a hard time listening to my body sometimes, but other times it speaks loud and clear. I don't overtire either. My doc has been truly amazed with the recovery rate and the little swelling left. I agree that everyone heals at different rates. I am constantly hearing my friends tell me to take it easy and don't do so much. But, we each have our own healing speeds. It has made me feel better about myself when I started doing little things around the house. I feel useful and back in the swing of things. Good luck and happy healing.
Unread 12-19-2001, 09:01 PM

16 days post-op

I'm 16 days post-op and feel pretty good most of the time. I've been driving since day 8...my doctor said I could drive when I could go up and down the stairs without pain. I'm not going far...just the post office, market for a few things, bank...thats about it. I'm very claustraphobic and just knowing I can "leave the house" has made a big difference for me. But then we are all different.

I'm doing very light laundry...my DH brings it downstairs for me. I don't go up and down the stairs in the house all day...just a few times...no pain though. I'm cooking dinner for the two of us, but not doing any housework as of yet and our DD will be home for 10 days this Saturday and she has offered to clean the house for us from top to bottom! Somehow, the thought of my Dh cleaning the house vs. my DD...well, I'd choose the DD any day!!!

The most pain I feel is whenever I sneeze.... OH MY GOSH!! It feels like something rips everytime..I know it doesn't but it sure does feel like it. In fact, I just did and my left side where the ovary was is OUCH!

I just take each day as it comes....some are better than others, some I'm a little more tired and some I'm feeling pretty good. Definetly I know whenever I've overdone it or moved wrong. I liked the idea of 1 hour of for every hour of activity. I'm going to try that out!

Lori
Unread 12-19-2001, 09:15 PM

....just a routine check. Making sure everyone's following DR's orders here.

OK, let's review:

- Picking up pillows and repositioning them.....allowed
- Turning on dishwasher AFTER SOMEONE ELSE HAS LOADED IT....allowed
- Changing roll of toilet paper.....allowed
- Flipping on light switch.....allowed
- Taking short easy walks.....allowed
- Folding laundry....allowed

X Vacuuming...NOT allowed
X Sweeping.....NOT allowed
X Carrying laundry across house to washer.....NOT allowed
X Running, Bending, Lifting.....NOT allowed
X Laying around doing nothing all day.... not what is meant by 'pampering'
X Doing ANYTHING your DR has told you not to do....NOT allowed

It's great when we start feeling pretty good... but this is precisely the time we have all gotten ourselves in trouble. This is a time to give the body the opportunity to heal from major surgery. We are told initial recovery is typically 6 - 8 weeks. That's also about how long the Pillow Police are lurking.....they are genuinely concerned for our health and well-being.

Take it easy, give yourself the gift of a smooth, relaxing recovery. Let it go. There will be time for you to return to all your normal activities later, when your DR says OK.

LOVE and s,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register