How do I work out what to do? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do I work out what to do? How do I work out what to do?

Unread 10-23-2011, 11:01 PM
How do I work out what to do?

The surgeon said my ovaries would be removed with the hysterectomy but didn't mention anything else as far as that it would result in surgical menopause and what that would mean and what options were available. I won't see him again until he is about to operate so everything I'm learning is online and it's hard working out where to begin and how to process what I'm reading and learning. I tried asking my GP and he completely dismissed my concerns and said I'd probably be given something to help afterwards. From what I've read so far there are so many different options though as far as taking something, not taking something, the risks of both, my mind is swirling around with half baked information and ideas. Where did others begin to start with working it out and making informed choices?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Re: How do I work out what to do?

I was not put on HRT right after surgery. Three weeks post op I would have tried anything to relieve the symptoms of menopause. After being put on permarin and not being able to deal with the side affects I opted for Vivelle Dot which is a bio identical and works great for me. Even though you will not be seeing your dr before sugery you can call the office and speak to one of the nurses. They should be able to answer some of your questions and if not they will leave a msg with the dr. to call you. These are major decisions for us so dont be afraid to call them and go over your options with them or advice them if you would rather do a bio identical or not...or if you want to take a wait and see approach.

Good luck
Tracy
Unread 10-30-2011, 09:10 PM

Thanks a lot Tracy ... a few things I'd read sounded like people were given patches or other forms of HRT even either within or right after surgery, I wish I wasn't scared of phoning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2011, 09:57 AM

I just had surgery 10/17/11 and honestly I wished I would have gotten to know my doc better before hand because he would not have done my surgery. He lightly went over HRT with me before hand and gave me a shot the day I left the hospital. When I went back yesterday for my post op he made me feel stupid when I asked about HRT. As he was walking out I spoke up and asked if I needed another shot his words were "well the one you had will run out this week so if you don't want to have mood swings, cry alot, ect then yes. He has not taken blood to measure my levels when I asked him about hot flashes I told him that I felt like I was breaking a fever his comment was "I don't know did you take your temperature?"

Words of advice PLEASE make sure you are able to feel comfortable asking any question and make your doctor explain the HRT. Don't get stuck like I am now that this doctor did my surgery I am stuck with him until I'm healed because no other doctor wants to follow up on anothers work. My final apt is November 30th and I'm going to let my primary care doctor manage my HRT.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register