Scheduled dVH/RALH Hello, I'm new here. Need a little help please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hello, I'm new here. Need a little help please Hello, I'm new here. Need a little help please

Unread 10-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Hello, I'm new here. Need a little help please

Hi, my name is Christina. I was diagnosed on Sept. 28 with cervical cancer. I'm 32 years old. I'm so lost about all this. Ive had a pap smear and a colposcopy that revealed cancer and then had a pet scan done and was tild today that my cervix did not light up and it should have. I guess that could be a great thing but I'm having symptoms such as bleeding and pain. The oncologist is going to look at my colposcopy slides again. She says maybe it's really early and that my bladder may be blocking it. I am scheduled for a radial hysterectomy on Nov 8 using a robot. I'm just very confused and scared. What if there is a misdiagnosis? Do I wait for surgery for more tests? Has anyone experienced anything like this? I want the surgery because I want this over. It's been a very scary year. Please help, thank you hystersisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Re: Hello, I'm new here. Need a little help please

I'm sorry Christina, Have you considered getting a second opinion before surgery? The fact that you are considering the possibility of a misdiagnosis is reason enough to get one.

I have not experienced what you are going through but can see why you would be confused. Best of luck to you. I hope you find the answers that you're looking for.
Unread 10-24-2011, 05:49 PM

I know you are scared and going thru a lot... I will say some prayers for you....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Hello, I'm new here. Need a little help please

Hello,
Thank you for responding so fast. Its hard for me to get another opinion because I don't have insurance and I am going through charity care and that in itself has been frustrating. I think it would take too much time and I don't think I could bear the pain of another colposcopy. I've had 2 and both came out with precancerous lesions. One low and and the second high grade and the pain has increased along with the bleeding. It would probably take me another two months to get all the results again and I'm not even sure if I could get another opinion with charity care. My oncologist said she will just remove the cervix and not my uterus unless it's been affected but she believes it's just my cervix. I am supposed to hear back from her on Wednesday after she looks at the slides. I just hope this all goes away. Thank you again for responding.
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:18 PM

Thank you I appreciate the prayers!
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:39 PM

tina

I am sorry to hear that you have heard the 'c' word and conflicting information.

Have you been seen by a gyn-oncologist? If not you may want to contact one since they are experts in both female anatomy and cancer.

Please feel free to post on our Cancer Concerns forum you will find many caring, knowledgeable and suppotive women there. They have and are walking the Cancer walk.

Unread 10-24-2011, 08:50 PM

Hello, yes I am seeing a gyno-oncologist. She's the doctor who has scheduled the surgery unless she changes her mind after looking at the slides again. Something has to be done though because even if the pet scan doesn't show cancer my cells have worsened on both pap smear/colposcopy. I have been so busy today. Spent 5 hours at the hospital and am going back again tomorrow then working a full time schedule this week and I honestly haven't had the time to review everything on this site. I will though and I do have to say that this site so far is great. I have posted on other sites and not gotten a response. I do see myself getting a lot of support here. I will check it all out! Thank you so much
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:02 PM

I have had bad pap smears and bad colopos and bad leeps for the last 15 years. They always said it was precancer. This was the 1st year they said it was cancer and serious enough to need a hysterectomy. I just had mine last week. I am 36. If an Gyn oncologist recommended this for you, I would trust them. I have insurance but I couldn't afford to get a 2nd opinion either. A Colopo and a Leep are bad enough to have once. It is scary to think of the cancer spreading past the cervix if you don't have it done. Do you already have kids? If you do, I would just go ahead and get the cervix and uterus removed. Was yours caused by the HPV virus? Mine was. If so it can spread to the uterus and the uterus has connections to the bladder and colon. You don't want it to spread there.
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:08 PM

Also the bleeding and pain you are having could be attributed to the Colposcopy you just had. You will be okay.. this cancer is slow growing, so if you have had regular yearly paps and they were all good, then you should be okay. At most it would have been growing for a year if you were getting yearly paps. My Gyn oncologist said the HPV virus could cause cancer in the vagina in rare cases. That freaked me out. I thought it would all be over after the hysterectomy. He said I would still need 3 month paps on my vagina for 3 years and if they came back fine then I would only have to go every 3 years for a vagina pap. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.
Unread 10-24-2011, 11:06 PM

Hello anicepl,

I do not have any children. I want them but doubit it's in my cards. I was misdiagnosed in 2000 with a miscarriage and it was an ectopic pregnancy that ruptured a month later. I lost my tube and almost my life but havent been able to get pregnant since. The oncolgist says she only hopes to remove the cervix not the uterus and everyone keeps telling me not to worry because i'm young and this is so curable. Yet people don't realize that just like you, I will have to be checked every 3 months and that stinks. I had a pap done in April of 2010 and a colposcopy in Aug 2010 and that had low grade squamous cell lesions. Then in Aug 0f 2011 the pap had precancer high grade squamous cell lesions. Sept 28, colposcopy said squamous cell carcinoma and the doctor was baffled at the pet scan being clear today. I do have hpv. That's what i don't understand either, i read that this is so slow growing and you have had this for 15 years. I was negative for anything in 2008 so it's more recent. I am scared to wait though, I don't know if a bad pap and colpo is enough for them to go in. Everything is set up as well. My surgery date is there, I have to tell my boss that I will stop working on the 7th, I have my note and have to get my temp disability forms. I also have a 7.5 cm dermoid cyst on my ovary that needs to be removed. Again something that showed up on a cat scan in 2008. Was ruled out by a ultrasound and now shows up again on a cat scan in 2011. I'm honestly frustrated with the amount of diagnosing me with things and then it being wrong in my life. I don't know what to believe anymore. But at the same time 4 tests showed up cancer of some nature so I guess I do have my mind made up and just realized it. I'll be going thru the surgery if I am given one for sure. I have too, I just can't take this chance. It's been affecting my life too much, always in the back of my head as I'm sure it is in yours. How do you feel btw?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register