Refused lupron before surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Refused lupron before surgery? Refused lupron before surgery?

Unread 10-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Refused lupron before surgery?

My question may be in the wrong forum but I am wondering if anyone has had lupron suggested by their doctor in order to decrease the size of fibroids and decided not to have the injection? More to the point does anyone know of successful outcomes without the use of Lupron?

I have decided against it for me, however one never knows if they are making the right decision. My largest fibroid is 8cm, which is just shy of 4 inches. I am hoping for a bikini cut, but realize the size of the tumor may determine that. My doctor is currently out of the country and I don't meet with her until two weeks before my 11/29 surgery. Needless to say i am driving myself crazy.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Re: Refused lupron before surgery?

Hey Ridert11,

Prior to my hystersocopy in 2002, I had a depo-provera injection to reduce fibroid size and stop my perpetual bleeding. Like many others here, I was literally bleeding to death. It worked and the rebound fibroid problem wasn't a problem for me since they were removed once my iron levels were acceptable. Plus, I was so miserable I was ready to go along with anything with little question.

Now I have what someone else called 'a Galaxy' of fibroids, and some pretty large. My Dr. didn't even mention Lupron.

I've not looked into Lupron and am unaware of the side effects, but you have made a decision based on your research. Larger fibroids than yours have been removed without it. Trust your instincts - it will be OK.
Unread 10-25-2011, 09:11 AM

My doctor suggested Lupron but did state that it probably wouldn't shrink them down enough to avoid TAH. I did some research and just wasn't comfortable with the side effects>the possibility of them NOT shrinking. She seemed confident the side effects weren't too bad if Lupron was only used a max of 6 months. I still wasn't warm and fuzzy about Lupron. I really couldn't find long term research/side effects so, I declined the injections. I'm just paranoid I guess, but I was afraid in 10+ years, I'd have health problems related to the injections. I had TAH/vertical incision due to the enormous size of my uterus. meh, a scar is a scar and I don't like it but I'm recovering well.

I've seen a few ladies on this site that had good responses to Lupron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2011, 09:56 AM

Thank you both for your responses. Keltec I feel the same way about the Lupron. It is a personal and tough decision. Do you mind me asking how large your uterus was? Im soooo glad you are recovering well : )
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:13 AM

I had so many fibroids, they couldn't count them.

My uterus was roughly 15in long, 9in diameter, not including the softball size one that was growing on the outside of it. My mom said I was 19in and a full term baby !

I went from an 8 week size uterus to 12 week size uterus in 7 years, went from 12 week to that huge size within 2 1/2 months. It had to go asap. It was getting bigger by the weeks.
Unread 10-25-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltec View Post
My doctor suggested Lupron but did state that it probably wouldn't shrink them down enough to avoid TAH. I did some research and just wasn't comfortable with the side effects>the possibility of them NOT shrinking. She seemed confident the side effects weren't too bad if Lupron was only used a max of 6 months. I still wasn't warm and fuzzy about Lupron. I really couldn't find long term research/side effects so, I declined the injections. I'm just paranoid I guess, but I was afraid in 10+ years, I'd have health problems related to the injections. I had TAH/vertical incision due to the enormous size of my uterus. meh, a scar is a scar and I don't like it but I'm recovering well.

I've seen a few ladies on this site that had good responses to Lupron.
Thank you for the encouragement. My gut says it is not for me.
Unread 10-25-2011, 12:44 PM

Hi there! I did do 2 Lupron shots before my Davinci Surgery. I, too, was scared of the shots, but aside from some flushes, I had no symptoms. If the Lupron made it so that I could actually have the Davinci, then I am soooooo for it!!! My surgery was so easy! I wish I would have known then what I know now! Good luck!
Unread 11-01-2011, 03:00 PM

I did lupron years before. I did it for 5mos. It was a miserable. I guess most women only make it 2-3 months before they can't stand it anymore. It didn't help anything. My husband wanted to kill me. We laugh about it now because it was sooo ridiculous. Not me at all. I ruined our family vacation.
Don't sweat it. You have to do what is best for your life.
Unread 11-02-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridert11 View Post
My question may be in the wrong forum but I am wondering if anyone has had lupron suggested by their doctor in order to decrease the size of fibroids and decided not to have the injection? More to the point does anyone know of successful outcomes without the use of Lupron?

I have decided against it for me, however one never knows if they are making the right decision. My largest fibroid is 8cm, which is just shy of 4 inches. I am hoping for a bikini cut, but realize the size of the tumor may determine that. My doctor is currently out of the country and I don't meet with her until two weeks before my 11/29 surgery. Needless to say i am driving myself crazy.....

Hi Rider, I am in the same boat as you are. It's amazing! I have a roughly 23week size uterus with one 8cm fibroid sitting right on top and two other smaller ones (4cms and 3cms each) sitting inside. My ovaries look normal and I'm scheduled for a hyst on 12/06/11. I'm on a Depo shot that I took in September. I'm still bleeding but it's manageable and I can take the metro and go to work. My gyn suggested that I take a 3.75 one-month Lupron shot now that she will repeat before the surgery because she's concerned about bleeding during the procedure. The problem is that I am worried sick of the side effects. The Depo has already upped my blood pressure and gives me headaches and I'm nervous taking the Lupron over that.

The thing is, the more I read about Lupron the more I get confused because of the variety of effects it seems to have on us. No one reacts to it exactly the same! So I feel like I am groping around in a dark alley. I need a pap smear before the surgery, though, because my gyn will not do the hyst w/o the pap so I will try to have a pap next week and see if they can get results. If they can, then I doubt I'll go for the Lupron. But I'm so confused... I know I need to trust my instincts but I feel they're failing me right now

So did you end up taking the Lupron? How are things? All the best for your surgery!

If anyone else has any suggestions for me re my situation, please respond... thanks so much!

Unread 11-02-2011, 03:42 PM

My largest fibroid is 24 cm and it is not the only one in there! The rest are just hiding behind the big bully. I have an enormous uterus and because I really want minimally invasive surgery my doctor suggested Zoladex, not Lupron, to help shrink it down prior to surgery. I will be doing 6 months of injections and have already completed 3. I am also taking an "add back" hormone (Prempro) which has really alleviated most of the side effects. I get a hot flash every now and again, but that's really it. Mood swings - well, I guess that too but my husband would say I had those before. Not sure there is much of a difference!

Although my doc has no real proof, he feels based on what his patients say, that Zoladex has less significant side effects than Lupron, which is why he suggested it. I am having a relatively easy time on it and if it enables me to have a LSH as opposed to a large vertical abdominal cut - I'll be thrilled.

And the good news is that I can actually see the shrinkage. It's not scientific by any stretch but I know how I felt before and my tummy is most definitely smaller. Used to be when I would lie down I could feel the edge of the fibroid near the bottom of my ribcage. Now it is BELOW my belly button. The doc will take an official measurement at 5 months but I'm confident that bad boy is shrinking.

Now, my doc is very experienced in LSH procedures with large fibroids (he was my 3rd opinion doc) and he will be happy to get mine down to a 16cm size. I know a lot of docs wouldn't even entertain the thought of LSH at that size, so it's all about your docs experience.

Just wanted you to know my experience...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register