Cancer Concerns | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cancer Concerns Cancer Concerns

Unread 12-18-2001, 04:16 PM
Cancer Concerns

Hi I'm new so excuse me if I'm doing this wrong. Two weeks ago I found out I have a mass on rt ovary. CA 125 was 60. Dr says that doesn't mean anything. Next Thursday I'm going in for TAH, BSO with exploratory lap. Does this all sound pretty standard? Needless to say, I'm sweating bullets here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2001, 04:54 PM
Cancer Concerns

Welcome!

I'm new too, and we have much the same story. I have a VERY small cyst on an ovary and a much higher (120-180) CA-125. My doc is recomending that we watch my level for another month, but unless we get down to under 35, it's into the castle I go on Jan 25, for a TAH/BSO.
From all that I've learned in a month of research, it is terribly difficult to tell what elevated CS 125' s mean, especially if you are premenopausal (I'm not 43 with a DH and 3 kids). My doc is is concerned because my Mom has ovarian cancer. Because of that my gyn is not doing the surgery - a gyn oncologist is.

I alternate being worried sick and being completely unconcerned. It is important to get support and feel confident in your doc, so it all sounds fine to me, but I'm not a doc and you should get another opinion if you have any doubt.

See you in post-op!

Dorrie
Unread 12-18-2001, 05:01 PM
Cancer Concerns

Thanks, Dorrie. I do like the doc. He's a gyn oncologist. My gyn says he's the best (I hope he means it). Anyway, my "alien" is a tennis ball size mass - solid and cystic. The dr said it may be an endometrioma but I guess we'll know on the 27th. Thanks for the kind words. Here's to post-op!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2001, 06:12 PM
Cancer Concerns

Hi there kjgarden!!
Welcome to Hystersisters!! And you are doing this just fine by the way!! You will be a pro at naviagating these forums in no time.
Its truly a wonderful site, and a great place for information sharing and support!!

Well after reading your first post my first question was whether you have been seen by a gyn/oncologist, but reading your second post I see that you have.
And you like him, so thats all really good. They are the experts, and if there is even he slightest chance that this is something to worry about than those are the great dr's that we want involved in our case for sure right?!!

I am not tracked with the CA125 myself, but several of the women here are, and I have read many times that this can be elevated for many reasons, and hopefully this is the case with yours being elevated. Have you had an ultrasound and CT scan?

It sounds like your Dr. thinks its may be elevated for other reasons as well, but I gather from your first post that they will do the lap exploratory, and then if they find anything, they will proceed with the hyster at the same time, if I am reading that right.

I wish you the very best, and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that this isn't anything serious at all. Please keep us posted on how you are doing, and please feel free to post any questions that come to mind. We are all here to help as best we can!!
You take care, and try not to worry, but I know its easier said than done!!
Holiday Hugs to you,
Maria
Unread 12-19-2001, 05:45 AM
Cancer Concerns

Welcome to Hystersisters Ladies!! I'm so glad that you found the site as I am sure that you will both find many caring and helpful ladies here! Even though we are not doctors, we all are eager to share our experiences in hopes of making your travels easier. If you have problems with anything here, just let us know and we will be happy to help you through.
Unread 12-20-2001, 03:46 PM
Cancer Concerns

Maria - Thank you for all the info. I did have an ultrasound - they said it showed a "complex mass - both solid and cystic". The dr said they will remove the ovary with the mass and proceed with the hysterectomy while they wait for frozen section biopsies to come back. Then they will know what else they have to do - if anything - while they're "in there". I scheduled my pre-op testing today - I guess this really is happening. I seem to alternate between terrified and totally calm. How weird! I can just imagine what I'll be like with no hormones if this is how I am now!!! :eyes:
I read your story Maria - It's very encouraging to know that it can be cancer - but after some rather "unpleasant" stuff - things can be OK again. Thank you so much for sharing.
Unread 12-20-2001, 04:22 PM
Cancer Concerns

Hi again kjgarden!!
I understand about the alternating between the bouts of terrified and calmness. Its very strange how the body works that way. I think we adjust to knowing all the possiblilites, and then realize, that if its all good news than thats wonderful. And if its not so good news, then we are going to fight like heck, to get rid of this. I can honestly say, I was glad to be as prepared as I was for the outcome after my surgery. Doctors don't sugar coat things anymore to "protect" our feelings, thank goodness. I wanted to know everything they were thinking, good and bad, so I could be prepared for the worst and be able to deal with it.

Thank you for reading my story. It was a rough road for several months, but when I look at where I was exactly a year ago today....to how I am feeling now....its amazing. I actually finished up my chemo a year ago tomorrow in fact.

So my dear, you take care, keep positive thoughts, and even though I know you won't put your surgery out of your mind, try and enjoy the holidays, and you will be in and out from your surgery in no time!! And hopefully with really good news!!

Take it all one step at a time. I will keep you in my prayers that this will turn out to be a benign mass, which it certainly could be, or even if its malignant, there are several ladies who had the surgery, and that alone took care of all the bad cells, so although you are very concerned of course, this could turn out to be nothing too serious at all. And it sounds like you have a great doctor, who is keeping you well informed as well. Thats great!!

Hang in there, we are here for ya!! We will be posting lots of hugs and prayers and best wishes for you here next week before you go in too!!
Holiday Hugs,
Maria
Unread 12-20-2001, 06:25 PM
Cancer Concerns

Hi kj, welcome to the cancer concerns. So glad that you found us when going through this scary time. Remember we are all here for you. You take good care and whenever you need a shoulder , come here love always xx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register