pre op appointment questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre op appointment questions pre op appointment questions

Unread 10-25-2011, 11:43 AM
pre op appointment questions

I have my pre op appointment on wednesday for my nov. 14 surgery...i've already asked my doctor the list of questions posted on this site at my pre pre op appointment....what else did you ask? What are you going to ask? I have a short list...but i feel like i have more questions that i haven't come up with...any help is much appreciated!!! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Re: pre op appointment questions

Big question for me -

What pain medication will I be given? I can't take codeine based pain killers.
Unread 10-25-2011, 02:05 PM

I would suggest not having the surgery, unless it involves cancer etc. 27% of being prone to stroke and heart attack after uterus removes; 40% if ovaries are removed also. Sex and the desire will never be the same. Doctors don't tell women this. I have been there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2011, 02:11 PM

i asked about How u can tell if there's an infection, since stitches are internal...
like...what to look for, etc. yours may be different tho, im hving the Davinci.
Unread 10-25-2011, 02:14 PM

Hi Dandy481,

It appears to me from the tone of your post that you are unhappy with the results of your hysterectomy. I'm so sorry about that. There is a post-op forum to discuss the issues you seem to be experiencing and I encourage you to look there to talk with others in your same position and for help with some of these issues.
Unread 10-25-2011, 05:22 PM

One thing I would encourage is that if you get home and realize you forgot to ask something, call and ask! Don't be afraid you are a bother.

I am now 16 months post op and doing pretty well. Sex is great for DH and I, in fact it is better than it has ever been! I am no longer ruled by pain and bleeding that kept me from living my life! My recovery has been quite long, and I am still not 100% BUT I still would not change a thing.
Unread 10-25-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandy481 View Post
I would suggest not having the surgery, unless it involves cancer etc. 27% of being prone to stroke and heart attack after uterus removes; 40% if ovaries are removed also. Sex and the desire will never be the same. Doctors don't tell women this. I have been there.
35.3% of deaths in American women over the age of 20, or more than 432,000, are caused by cardiovascular disease each year.

http://www.womenheart.org/resources/cvdfactsheet.cfm

"Women who have gone through early menopause, either naturally or because they have had a hysterectomy, are twice as likely to develop heart disease as women of the same age who have not yet gone through menopause."

http://www.womenheart.org/supportFor...iskfactors.cfm

BUT: The following study indicates the age of the woman is a factor. Hysterectomies performed before age 50 seem to increase cardiovascular disease, but those after 50 do not.

http://www.livingwithendometriosis.o...heart-disease/

I also read another article that discussed the differences health risks with respect to the different types or HRT available.

There are no hard and fast rules here. One question I asked myself was, "Do I want to continue to live in misery, limit my activities and put my life on hold for a potential health risk later."

My answer was no.

I hope everyone is able to make a decision they feel comfortable with and don't regret later.
Unread 10-25-2011, 11:04 PM

thank you all for the suggestions...these are important things to consider and i just feel so overwhelmed sometimes.

McLila: so true on the pain meds...i've actually already had this discussion for the hospital, i haven't asked what i'm coming home on...good to know that too!

also, i appreciate the information about heart disease...both of my parents passed before 60...dad actually had a stroke at 37...it is looming heavy on me right now....mom passed from a sudden, massive heart attack...

dandy481: thank you so much for you opinion....i understand this is not a perfect decision, but, for me, it is the best one open to me....the information on heart disease is very helpful and i will definately be discussing that with my doctor...

gardener8: such a great point!!! i wouldn't have thought of that!!! thank you....i'd rather know signs to look for ahead of time...

LovetheOcean: also, a great point!!! i hate feeling i'm bothering people, but it is a really good point...i can't feel bad...it could set back my recovery and who wants that!?! i also appreciate hearing your sex life is better...i'm pretty worried about that part too, but haven't invested too much time worrying about it...too many other hurdles left!

thanks again all...and if there are any more ideas, i'm all eyes!
Unread 10-25-2011, 11:07 PM

McLila: i just realized we are just about date buddies! i'm going in on the 14th!
Unread 10-25-2011, 11:15 PM

I noticed that, too. I'll be thinking of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register