How Much Help Will I Need Post-OP? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How Much Help Will I Need Post-OP? How Much Help Will I Need Post-OP?

Unread 10-25-2011, 12:19 PM
How Much Help Will I Need Post-OP?

Although I've been on the fence about whether to cancel this surgery or not, Ive decided to have it.
My issues are very different than everyone elses. I have a very rare disorder called Auntoimmune Progesterone Dermatitis/Histamine Reaction. Basically something has triggered in my body to fight progesterone (so progesterone cream post surgery is definitely out for me!) All month I am constantly itchy but right before my period I get worse symptoms- like all over body whelps/hives to the point of an ER visit and/or swollen/itchy eyes, lips and possible throat swelling. After the red and itch subsides, it leaves permanent marks (some black and blue) Since it's very rare, they don't know what causes the trigger, so the only "cure" is hysterectomy.
My Dr. has scheduled a laproscopic removal of everything except the cervix for 12/19. In the consultation he made it sound very easy, I'll be up an about in a week with no problems and back to normal within 2-3 weeks. After reading posts on here, I think he's minimizing the procedure.

We will have returned from our vacation just two days before surgery, so my husband won't be able to take too many days to be with me. How much help will I actually need for the first week? I won't be entirely by myself, I have a daughter that can help a bit, and am able to call on friends if necessary. He said I won't even be in the hospital overnight. Really?

Any insight into how the recovery will really happen would be greatly appreciated. I know everyone is different, but I feel the suggestions here are more valid and realistic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Re: How Much Help Will I Need Post-OP?

Everyone is different, and heals differently at different rates. But to answer your question, I do believe that the LSH is an outpatient procedure, unless there are complications.

Hopefully some other LSH women will chime in with their experiences, but it would be my guess that you will need help at home for a few weeks, maybe more. You will probably have lifting restrictions (10 lbs for six weeks), driving restrictions, activity restrictions, and intercourse restrictions. In addition, I do not know what complications your rare disorder may cause.

Good luck, and hugs to you...
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:03 PM

I had abdominal hysterectomy, and 2 nights in hospital, and we stopped at Walmart on the way home and I went in. As everyone says, each person is different. But I'd say to see if your hubby can be home for at min. the first 2 days to see how you are doing.

We planned ahead. Shopping for food, things easy to fix, or pop in microwave. Made sure to have anything that would require lifting done. The surgery itself just makes many of us very tired, and the need to sleep a bunch. I had little appetite for days after, and then the issue of gas, constipation. Not much hubby could do to help, but good to have him around until I knew I could function from bed to kitchen, to bathroom. Which was about al I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2011, 10:46 PM

Thank you both for your response. It is very helpful to know what happened with you. I know every case is different, but just getting an idea of what might go on is helpful for planning.
Unread 10-25-2011, 11:10 PM

and you will hear it over and over, but follow your doctors "order" on what you can and can not do. I'm now on 3 months of "taking it easy" as I had a second surgery right after being released form the first. But even tho I have felt great, I have been good, and not did things I shouldn't be doing. It has made healing go really well physically.... mentally, well, tough at times, but I look forward, not back. I focus on the good in what has happened, and not dwell on the bad, or work myself into a pity party.

You wil do great. No lifting! Rest! Drink fluids. lol
Unread 10-25-2011, 11:14 PM

I agree with the others - if all goes well just a couple of days of help is needed if hubby and/or daughter help with dinner and chores in the evening. Just remember to not push yourself too soon.
Unread 10-25-2011, 11:55 PM

Aloha
I am 71 & had complete LAH including ovaries , vaginal vault suspension & LAP bladder lift suspension (Burc), catheter for nine days along wtb rectacele & vaginal repair
Five hrs surgery
Two wks post & am able to manage on my. own personal care and fix breakfast but have hubby there for emotional support. I have been very weepy
If ur Doc is good & all goes well u should be able to manage just fine
Sending a lot of get well Aloha to you
Unread 10-26-2011, 05:22 AM

Hi There,

I am 56 and had a LATH and rectocele repair on 10/15 - I agree that now I can probably do most things myself, but love having the support of my husband (works from home) here.

I have been given strict instructions NOT to lift anything over 5 pounds. I never realized how little that is! If I did go to the grocery store, I'd never be able to lift a bag of groceries! Laundry? I can fold.

Anyway, it's been 12 days since my procedure and I suggest you get as much help as possible in the first week home. The second week is slightly better. The hardest part is needing so much sleep. I'm trying so hard to listen to my body and pampering myself. Its very hard for me and I can't imagine how it is for the young gals going through this.

I usually watch my grandchildren on Fridays and if my husband wasn't home to help I wouldn't be able to do that. Picking up the 5 year old from school will be fine, but how do I get a chubby almost 2 year old in and out of a car seat when I can't lift?

PS We will be visiting Kauaii in January for our daughter's wedding.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register