dVH/RALH Recovery Time After DaVinci Surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Time After DaVinci Surgery? Recovery Time After DaVinci Surgery?

Unread 10-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Re: Recovery Time After DaVinci Surgery?

PetsMN, you may be fine to go back full force by then. Everyone is different and each recovery is different. I have been in pain for so many years that I felt great after surgery and thought I could do whatever I wanted. After a week or so of resting, I jumped back into stuff around the house and going to Dr and hospital appts with DH and had quite a bit of bleeding because I overdid it. I was not in the best physical shape prior to surgery, so that plays a part too. Listen to your body and do as it leads. Hopefully, you will be ok to go back. Others have with no problems.

My first day back was today and only 4 hrs. I was so ready to go back to work and get back to a normal routine. I did great until about 3 1/2 hrs in - then I could tell why Dr said 'ease back into it.' My belly started feeling heavy and not hurting, but just not comfortable. I'm home now and resting with my feet up until time to fix dinner.

Happy healing sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2011, 02:56 PM

Kindred, congrats on your first day back, please keep the updates coming.

PetsMN, don't despair, you may be ok... for the first couple weeks you really do need to REST - take short walks and drink lots of fluids. Everyone is different... In fairness, my surgery was not supposed to be as extensive as it was which is probably the reason for the longer recovery. Keep us posted and good luck to you :-)
Unread 10-27-2011, 04:51 AM

PetsMN,
I would advertise the heck out of the job. Put posters up and put it on the internet. Ask local vets if you can post it at their offices, leave a notice about it. I found that a lot of times my vet has all kinds of services advertised. And most people who want that type of job would ask a vet or look there. Also if there are any dog clubs ask them if they can get the word out. If necessary, see if you can hire someone temporarily to help lift the dogs. You may be absolutely fine but obviously do need someone for the position. I have a feeling you will find someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2011, 02:48 PM

I would be a stunned person if your dr let's you go back to lifting 50 to 100 lbs after 2 weeks.

To me, personal opinion, those kind of weights that soon could promote prolapse.

Is there a possibility you could get steps or a ladder the dogs would walk up without lifting?

Be very careful you only get a chance to heal right.

I think many drs don't understand because they haven't been through it, they just promote the marketing hype and don't take in the individuality of the situation.

Unread 10-27-2011, 08:07 PM

I agree with Sister Hostess/tauruslady ..The doctors don't understand it unless they have personally gone thru it and yes, I believe that the are promoting the marketing hype. My doc/oncologist thought I should be up and around and ready for work at 2 to 4 weeks. I couldn't EVEN IMAGINE going back at that time and was having major anxiety isssues at 6 weeks going back. I'm still cramping at 9 weeks post op and trying to be careful lifting and getting about. So please listen to your body. You know best. Don't doubt yourself sister! Sister Hugs are being sent your way!!!!
Unread 10-27-2011, 10:52 PM

I had the DaVinci on the 12th of Oct. I don't even go back for my post-op until Nov 11th. I don't feel like I've healed as fast as they said either, but I also have lupus and feel like that may be slowing things down a bit. The LAST thing I want to do is wind up back in the hospital but it's so hard to take it easy. I feel ok and then do something that really really hurts and it doesn't seem like I was doing that much. It really does drive me crazy! Patience may be a virture, but it sure isn't one of mine.
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Thanks Everyone....I'm with you leecat patience is not my virtue either, but again my three younger children who are teenagers are really push my patience. I always laugh because I have more patience with the dogs than I do with my own children and guess it's because one can talk and the other can't.

I guess my anxiety isssues are the fact I'm not in control of my business right now and I've been watching my employee's sales and they were not good and knowing that busyest time is comming up. See as a pet groomer starting in a few weeks up until new years is when we have bills that we catch up on other wise we struggle just like anyone else. And the other is I let my body tell me what I can and can not do and if I'm not ready to go it's another anxiety issue for me. I am always a worry wart and lots of times things work themselves out but then others well.....

Thanks sisters for your thoughts and feed backs.
(((((((((((all)))))))))))
Unread 11-02-2011, 11:28 PM

I am almost 4 weeks post op and just had my first checkup. I am a slow healer, with fibromyalgia. My dr said many are back to work after 3-4 weeks; he wants to see me again at 8 weeks, and I may be able to return to work by then.

I tried working for an hour from home last week due to an urgent work situation, and after sitting for 1 hour (with a 5 minute "stretch break" in the middle, knew I was done... By the time I walked to the kitchen, I was in so much pain hubby had to help me to the bed. I still am having daily spasms in my lower abdomen, and spotting after doing too much.

The most important thing you can do is listen to your body. My incisions look great on the outside, but I know how I am feeling inside, and that's what will determine when I am able to return to work. I'm so glad I found this site, because I don't feel so alone!
Unread 11-03-2011, 01:18 AM

I started to spot tonight I am 4 weeks as of yesterday and Hubby didn't wanna wait for sex, so I gave in. I too am a slow healer I feel sore by the end of the day and I am tired all the time I could sleep till 4 pm then get up and be back in bed by 1. but I am not that lucky I have a 2 yo at home that had to be up mommys behind all the time. UGH and a DH that is lazy and its all about him. so Enjoy the time off. chill, read a book or do a search book. I wish I had the full 6 to 8 weeks to just recover but yeah I did 2 hours of food shopping since we had nothing and I mean nothing to eat in out house, lugged them in the rain and cold and put them all away. So I know what you mean about hurting by the end of the day! best of luck healing! Di
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:16 PM

Hey all...update. I went into the doctor on Monday everything that she could see (belly only) looked great. We also discussed the fact I was hot flashes and Sunday night I had bed sweats really bad. she held up her hands and said I swear I left your ovaries so I'm not sure why this is happening. Then she proceded to tell me if it continue's that we'll talk about hormone replacement to help ease it. Well sure enough it slowed down and I haven't had very many hot flashes. However she also released me to go back to work on light duty lifting so I asked my 25 yo son to help me, I told him in order for this to work and for him to go to his real job that I needed to him lifting, washing and drying 4 to 5 dogs in a 3 hour time frame so I can make my shop work. It's been working but I come home exhausted. I told everyone in my house that if they want me to make dinners for them then I need to do it on my terms and relax after getting home not ifs and or buts about it. Tonight I relaxed before a bit before making a very easy meal of Microwaved packed vegie's and rice and then warmed up Ring Bologne. Right after dinner I fell asleep on the couch. I woke up and my lower back and my pelvic area is feeling pressure a bit other wise I've felt good. I've taken some IBprofen so hopefuly it will help other wise I'll be calling the on call Dr. tomarrow.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register