questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-25-2011, 01:54 PM
questions

Hi Everyone, I'm scheduled for robotic hysterectomy hopefully with no complications or he might changed to abdominal surgery. I have a very large cyst on my right ovary with 3 large fibroids with painful periods I have some questions. I've never had a catheter in my life. What should I expect? My instructions say compression devices. Anyone have experience with these? I am hearing a lot about bladder issues as well. If abdominal surgery is needed, do they use drainage tubes? I am so overwhelmed. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Re: questions

Catheter: I was "out" when they put it in, so no issue there. It is taped to your leg. As long as all the tubing stayed in place, I didn't notice it in. When it came out, the nurse said she'd count to 3 and I was supposed to do something (exhale, maybe). It was so fast coming out, it was less of an issue than taking off a bandage. A sensation. While the catheter was in I was still hooked up to fluids so there was a lot of liquid going through me and I needed the confirmation that is was indeed coming out, so every so often I'd ask someone to check on the output. It made me feel better to know that it was working.
Unread 10-25-2011, 02:07 PM

Compression devices: When I awoke in my hospital room, I discovered that I had compression devices on from the knees down. Very nice! Little massages.

They also had me put on compression socks before surgery and said to wear them after I came home until I started to get up and around.

I don't know if these are what your doctor was referring to.

Best wishes to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2011, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the information Bugati. I feel better about that. I see you just had your surgery not long ago, how are you doing?
Unread 10-25-2011, 02:13 PM

The cath, for me was nothing. I was asleep when they put it in and they removed it the next morning. She did say take a deep breath and she pulled it out. It didn't hurt at all.

I had TAH and they don't put drainage tubes in. They stitch you completely up.
Unread 10-25-2011, 02:14 PM

I have had compression socks before and i know what they feel like however on my pre op paper work it said DEVICES, so when I googled them it showed some inflatable device that massaged the area.
Unread 10-25-2011, 02:15 PM

Thank you Keltec....all this information is very helpful. How are you feeling post surgery?
Unread 10-25-2011, 11:04 PM

I had a DaVinci hysterectomy and then my surgeon also had to make a 6" incision to remove my uterus. It turned out fine. I had very little pain from any of my incisions. I am now 3 1/2 months out from surgery and I'm doing well.

Regarding the catheter, it was okay. I woke up with it in after surgery and then they removed it the next day. Removing it wasn't painful. They even had to put it back in several hours later since I couldn't pee, but even putting it back in while I was awake wasn't painful.

I didn't have any drainage tubes in my large incision. I was stapled close all the way across.

I did, however, have a drainage tube put into one of my DaVinci incisions. It wasn't painful, but it was kind of gross. It was this tube with a pouch that was pinned to my hospital gown. The nurse had to empty the pouch every so often as it got full of blood and fluid. They would remove the pouch from the tube, empty it, and then they squeezed the pouch and attached it to the tube (forming a vacuum). Fortunately, they were able to take it out before I left the hospital (as they were originally going to leave it in). I don't remember the removal of the tube being painful.

I had compression devices with my previous surgery - a D & C. They were just these fabric boots with Velcro up the front that were hooked up to a compression machine. It applied pressure from the toes up to the calf over and over. It felt kind of good!
Unread 10-25-2011, 11:33 PM

HEY!

I've had compression socks before, but I hope I get the 'device' - I could use a good leg massage! But wait ... my insurance doesn't cover massage therapy ..... <heavy sigh>
Unread 10-26-2011, 03:28 AM

@ bedofroses, compression devices could be two different things 1. TED hoses, which r like really tight n thick stockings. The could b from ur knee down r thighs down. 2. SCD hoses, they r white n orange Velcro cuffs that wrap around ur lower legs n hook up into a machine, which blows them up off n on. Both items r for ppl that r immobile for surgery r whatever reason. They assist with keeping blood flowing properly thru ur legs n preventing blood clots(DVT's).
U will b asleep when they place the cath in. Some ppl feel a little twinge when their bladder begins to drain urine into the bag. This slight discomfort ca also b felt when someone drains r lifts the cath tubing. U will take a deep breath when the bulb is deflated n tube is pulled out. Afterwards u may also feel a slight burning sensation when u urinate. But this will go away.
All things ur nurse can/will explain to u Pre/post surgery. Hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register