What do you tell people when you don't want them to know? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do you tell people when you don't want them to know? What do you tell people when you don't want them to know?

Unread 10-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Re: What do you tell people when you don't want them to know?

I told folks abdominal surgery as well. Several women who also had hysterectomies guessed, but were respectful of my privacy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2011, 07:24 PM

I am just telling people it's "women issues" most of the time they don't want to know the rest
Unread 10-28-2011, 12:01 PM

It doesn't bother me to tell close friends, both male and female. People who aren't close I just tell them I've been sick and the drs. decided surgery would take care of the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2011, 09:08 PM

i've been wondering what to tell the 6th graders i teach when i return to work. probably just "surgery" will be enough. but "abdominal surgery" is a good idea if necessary.
Unread 10-29-2011, 09:09 PM

I also don't want to advertise exactly what I had done. I'm a teacher and had to tell my administrators (both men), and I did share with the staff, but I don't want the parents and students to know. I just said that I'm on medical leave. If anyone asks, I say that I had surgery to deal with some health issues.
Good luck to all with your surgery and recovery!
Unread 10-29-2011, 09:47 PM

i told ppl i'm getting snorfleed....

no one asked for details. lol.
Unread 11-04-2011, 06:24 PM
What do you tell people when you don't want them to know?

I wasn't shy about it- I told everybody about it on Facebook. In fact I've sent pictures of me and my daily experiences since the hospital. Heck I'll even show pictures of my scar if people really want to see it.
Unread 11-04-2011, 07:09 PM

Lol! I'm the same way- I've announced it to everyone on facebook !
And in December I'm having a total propholictic double mastectomy with reconstruction! I've been very open and in doing so have had tons of support and prayers! I'm BRCA2 positive so that's why I'm doing these surgeries.
On the other hand saying abdominal surgery sounds god if you don't want anyone to know. Good luck hugs!
Unread 11-04-2011, 09:39 PM

Gardener8 - That's hillarious! I might have to borrow that one. I do some volunteer work for feral feline rescue and have a few rescues hanging about my house. My friends would totally get it.

And Diloretta - I'm not shy about it either. I'm of the opinion that if I share my experience, it may help others. I suffered problems for several years and went through 3 doctors before I found one who would take me seriously. Nothing sucks more than being told, "It's just hormones dear, it will fix itself over time." "The problem will go away once you get pregnant."

I lost 3 years of fertility before I got any straight answers. The GYN who eventually treated me for fibroids told me I would most likely never have gotten pregnant with them in there because they were so large. I eventually did get pregnant, but lost it.

I want to make sure others don't go through the same. Education is my game.

Take care everyone and be well.
Unread 11-05-2011, 12:43 PM

Good topic.

I have told family, close friends, my support group, and my workplace what's going on (it is a 4 person- all women- office at work so not many secrets there). People have been extremely supportive. Except for work but that's another whole story...

Have dealt with on a case-by-case basis telling casual friends: it has usually been "I'm having a hysterectomy" or not telling them.

I had been a little apprehensive on how things would go on Facebook. I am the type of person who is not extremely open on Facebook. I didn't plan to post anything about my surgery and was wondering how to handle if anyone did. I decided that if someone did post, I'd thank them for their good wishes, acknowledge what they said (surgery, hysterectomy, etc), and request that as this was a very personal situation for me, I'd appreciate anyone with more to say/ask besides just good wishes to please message me privately. And that questions were welcome... by private message. So far it has not come up on my Facebook but I felt better deciding beforehand how to handle it.

Thanks and good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register