Scheduled TAH Do you have a memory foam mattress? Does it make you hotter post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you have a memory foam mattress?  Does it make you hotter post-op? Do you have a memory foam mattress? Does it make you hotter post-op?

Unread 10-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Do you have a memory foam mattress? Does it make you hotter post-op?

Hubby and I have been intending to get a memory foam mattress to replace our bed because I have really bad all over body pain with back issues and fibromyalgia. I'm wondering if we should get one now because of the potential for surgical menopause and it being too hot. Anyone know or have experience with using one post-op. I was actually going to order one today so I'd have it for recovery because it doesn't move around like a regular mattress, but would love to know if it's worth the investment now. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Re: Do you have a memory foam mattress? Does it make you hotter post-op?

I tried one and had to send it back. You sink into it and it is HOT HOT HOT. At least that's my experience. I kept the base, though - I have the Tempurpedic adjustable base that works like a hospital bed.

I now have a Vera Wang latex mattress on the Tempurpedic base and love it.

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-27-2011, 03:05 PM

We ended up buying a temperpedic about 6 weeks before my surgery since I was really hurting from our old mattress. I would never look at them before since I always sleep hot, but when we looked at them in the store they were so much more comfortable than the regular mattresses we decided to give it a try. They've changed the way they make the mattresses now, with channels in between the foam layers that help with air flow. They also have versions that are not so squishy so you don't sink quite as much. All that being said, when I was having hot flashes post op I was pretty uncomfortable heat wise, but very comfortable body pain wise. Really, I think I would have been just as hot on a regular mattress and having my pain be less has been really worth it. The mattress we got is one of the firmer versions in the Cloud series. Good luck, I hope you find a comfy mattress!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2011, 09:52 PM

I have one, but I wont be able to answer your question till after my surgery. I can say that I totally LOVE my temperpedic. Its warm in the winter and cool in the summer - probably has to do with the bedding more than the matress though.
I must say, at first, I wasn't in love with it. It wasn't like my old pillow top bed that I liked (and hubby hated). But, after the first time I went on a buisness trip and had a horrible bed at the hotel, I came home and fell into bed and sighed, "I love this bed." and it was true. So comfortable! I wont trade it for anything else.
Unread 10-27-2011, 09:57 PM

I have a memory foam mattress topper on my waterbed. Yes, it makes me sleep hotter at night! That helps my DH not to be so cold, but it leaves me sweating parts of the year!

S
Unread 10-28-2011, 07:59 AM

I have one and no it doesn't for me. It is also adjustable and that was great for recovery
Unread 10-28-2011, 08:34 AM

I have a Tempurpedic also - and love it - but also won't be able to talk about the heat until after surgery. However, because of this blog - I might consider putting a terry towel or something on my side- so when the sweating starts - I can quickly change it. I have already been having night sweats on an occasion - and thought it was the bed- but it doesn't happen every night - so - I think it is hormones.
Unread 10-28-2011, 04:20 PM

I love my memory foam mattress!! It is the most comfortable thing ever!! My husband likes that it is hot, so I put a thick cotton blanket under the fitted sheet on my side of the bed. Gives a little more breathing room and I don't regret my purchase.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register