Bowel Prep on Halloween | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel Prep on Halloween Bowel Prep on Halloween

Unread 10-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Bowel Prep on Halloween

Hi Sisters,
Yes this not a trick nor a treat. I have bowl prep on Halloween. I was given today a very large jug of GoLytely. It came with several "flavor" packets; Pineapple, orange, lemon lime, and Cherry. My questions are these; what flavor did you use and how was it?

Thanks Bunches!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Re: Bowel Prep on Halloween

I didn't have to do bowel prep for TVH but did for colonoscopy. Used crystal light lemonade instead of the packet it came with. It was very tolerable.
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:52 AM

I've used Golytely twice for colonoscopy prep.

I have many caveats to say up front: I don't like to drink plain water and I really don't like to drink any of those enhanced drinks like Pedialyte or Gatorade or Powerade. The only issue with the Golytely - other than volume - is that it takes salty. If you can use Crystal Light, I'd go with that. (It contains aspartame, so I can't.)

So, I started with one of the flavor packets and when I couldn't stand that taste any longer, I added another one for a slight flavor variant.

I read the paperwork very carefully so I knew how much I absolutely had to injest (it wasn't the full jug).

I kept in the fridge so it was as cold as possible.

I tried different ways of drinking (straw, no straw, different glasses, distractions, etc).

The big payoff was that after the colonoscopy, my Gastroenterologist said my prep was terrific! Oh, yeah, and I tested clear of any problems, too.

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2011, 04:16 PM

The easiest way to for me to get that stuff down was to set the cold bottle in a bowl of ice so it was as cold as possible. I used a straw as far back in my mouth as possible, and watched a movie to distract me. Worked out ok and cleaned very well.
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:44 PM

I would certainly use the orange. After all, it's Halloween!

I didn't have a bowel prep for my hysterectomy, but I did have one for a colonoscopy a few years ago. The advice to have it cold is very good. I actually had some apple juice and some water ready and after each 8 oz. of the bowel prep stuff, I treated myself with some apple juice or water to get the other taste out of my mouth. It did help!

One thing that threw me for a loop, so to speak, was that I was prepared to have the stuff work much faster than it did. For some people, it works in just an hour or two -- but for me, it took FIVE hours! I was anxiously awaiting, thinking I had missed something -- but then it worked. Really, for me it wasn't too bad. I went potty a few times over a couple of hours and that was it! Some people go for several hours, but it's not really that bad.

Hope your prep "goes" well.
Unread 10-29-2011, 12:11 AM

Thanks for all the tips ladies. I will def be putting it in a bowl of ice, and using juice as a chaser! Thanks again
Unread 10-29-2011, 08:48 AM

Another tip is to chew extreme mint gum just prior to drinking, that numbs the taste buds. I chugged it and used a chaser. It is salty, someone used broth as a chaser and I think next colonoscopy I'll try that, I can see it could mask the taste in a different way from apple or white grape juice. Don't foget the babywipes and ointment available. It worked for me all night. Good luck.
Unread 10-29-2011, 12:51 PM

UG... what a halloween for you...

I used Mio water enhancer. I loved the fact that it was liquid and I could add just enough to my taste. Crystal light can taste way too sweet to me. I started with a little then added till it was just right. Use the watermelon berry one and could hardly taste the salt...

good luck...
Unread 10-29-2011, 10:12 PM

Gosh, I wish I had some good advice to give. I put mine in the fridge the night before. I used pineapple flavor. I simply couldn't get it down. I think my problem is the absolute saltiness of it. I have never been able to even tolerate a salt water rinse let alone drinking it. I see we have the same hyster date! I wish you the best of luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
Unread 10-29-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithWoman View Post
Gosh, I wish I had some good advice to give. I put mine in the fridge the night before. I used pineapple flavor. I simply couldn't get it down. I think my problem is the absolute saltiness of it. I have never been able to even tolerate a salt water rinse let alone drinking it. I see we have the same hyster date! I wish you the best of luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
I am tempted to put all four flavors in the jug and make "fruit punch" haha! Good luck to you and I hope your recovery goes well. :0)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register