surgery on Jan 21---SCARED STIFF | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery on Jan 21---SCARED STIFF surgery on Jan 21---SCARED STIFF

Unread 12-19-2001, 08:01 AM
surgery on Jan 21---SCARED STIFF

Hi,
I am 28 and have 2 kids (11,8 boys) I am having a full Hysterectomy on Jan 21. I have a family history of Ovarian cancer (grandmother, Great Gm, aunt on dad's side and aunt on mom's side) I have been having irregular belleding and pain for quite a while.
Found a "complex" cyst on my left ovary about the size of a nickel. I think I have a great Dr. and I am sure this is the right decision b/c I have another condition that affects my hormones, so they are not working right anyway.
I guess what I am looking for is just reassurance, I have never had any surgery. I am getting really nervous.
Thanks, your posts have helped alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2001, 08:12 AM

Hi,

You've come to the right place for support! Have you checked out any of the pull down menus on the main page? Great advice for ladies in waiting and lots of punctured princess stories. It's really reassuring to read about other surgeries and get an idea what to expect! And make sure you check out the chat room - lots of support there, too.
Unread 12-19-2001, 08:23 AM

Hi PWE! I think we are all scared before having this major surgery. It's perfectly normal to feel the way you do. I was a wreck before my surgery and kept telling my husband that I didn't think I could go through with it. It turned out that my fears were unfounded.

Like you, I had really never had any surgery except for a tonsilectomy as a kid. But, I can tell you the waiting is the very worst part. All kinds of things run through our minds. I am including several links that I think will help and be of interest to you while you are in the waiting period:

ANxiety before hysterectomy

Hope these help calm your nerves a little. We will be here for you!

s

Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2001, 08:44 AM
Another January Princess...

Hello PWE!

I make my trip to the castle in January as well. I have been extremely scared too. I am sure it is noraml. I have never had any kind of surgery either. The only time I was ever in the hospital was when I was giving birth to my kids. Like yourself, I have an 8 & 11 year old. We will make it through this! Keep in touch.

Take Care & Happy Holidays....
Unread 12-19-2001, 09:37 AM

You sound just like I did! I was 28 when I had my TAH (Total Abdominal Hysterectomy), and had never even had a gyn exam before, much less been in a hospital!

Needless to say, I was way beyond terrified. However, reading the posts here, and posting all my questions, really helped me prepare for the surgery. The ladies here held my hand, and calmed my fears.

Please know that you're not alone, and that you WILL get through this. The waiting is the worst part. Once you're home, you can relax and recover, and then get your life back!

Hang in there!
Unread 12-19-2001, 06:31 PM

Pwe - you came to the right place for support I was scared pre-op too...think everyone is...and I had not had any surgery before either. Just take things one step at a time and try not to fret too much.

We'll be with you every step of the way.

PS - My surgery and recovery went smooth...didn't have any problems - just followed drs. orders to a "T".
Unread 12-19-2001, 06:40 PM

I was scared at first, never had a major surgery and I was upset that I had to have TAH instead of a laparoscopy assisted. But, I had been miserable for months/years and wanted to get rid of the "junk" inside me! My surgery went really well, I went home 2 nites later and I feel great 3 wks post-op! I am not 100% yet, but I am able to do more than I could before and the idea of no more periods is great in my mind! Keep in touch with hystersisters and ask alot of questions! It is just like pregnancy/childbirth, no 2 are exactly the same. I found it helped me to know so many women who have had this surgery, and found that I am somewhere in the middle- I didn't dance the 1st day home, and I am not stuck in bed 3 weeks later! But, I am feeling better each day and getting out a little every now and then.

Take care!

:

Dixie
Unread 12-19-2001, 08:39 PM
Hi Pwe!

I was scared stiff, too. I can sympathize. This was my first overnight stay in the hospital and first time with general anesthesia. I was very afraid of the pain. I found this wonderful place and the sisters here eased my fears, and I hope yours will be eased as well.

You mentioned a family history of cancer. You might want to pop over to our Cancer Concerns forum and meet some of the ladies there, too. Many of us have had our hyst for cancer,{uterine with me}, and have fared very well.

As far as the whole experience for me, the waiting was the worst part. The pain was managed well after they got me Torodol. By 3 days post op I can honestly say, I had worse periods over the years.

Just ask away and we will all do our best to help you!

{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}

kaatie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register