Who made the choice? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Who made the choice? Who made the choice?

Unread 10-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Who made the choice?

Now that I'm calmer I learned my dr. said the laproscopic uterus removal would be elective. We can wait. We can remove the 8cm fibroma (again) and it will be more of a blood loss - or - we can lose the uterus. He wants me to be comfortable with my decision. I will never be comfortable saying "I choose to get a hysterectomy" I'm doing it because I hate going to hospitals and want to avoid more surgery in the future. He said I am the most skeptical patient that he has had.

Am I supposed to jump up and down and say "Yes, yes I choose hysterecomy! weeeeeee!"

Is anyone comfortable with "choosing" or was it more of the dr saying "this is the only answer". I am choosing the hysterectomy but I will never be 100% certain I am making the right decision. I just don't want to plan around my periods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Re: Who made the choice?

I did choose the hysterectomy, but it wasn't an easy decision. In my case, not having surgery was an option. I wasn't in pain or having bleeding, but my fibroids were so large it was becoming a question of damaging other organs. I was worried that the surgery itself might damage other organs. The surgeon told me the same thing, that ultimately it was my choice. I asked her what she would do in my circumstances, and she said that she would get the hysterectomy. I was never completely comfortable with my decision, but felt that there was enough evidence to suggest that getting it done now, rather than waiting, was a good idea. I did get an SAH. Everyone reacts differently to their surgical options and there are always a lot of mixed emotions around the process. I talked to the surgeon 3 times over 6 months before moving forward. I will think positive thoughts for you.
Unread 10-29-2011, 11:27 AM

I chose hysterectomy.

I have had problems for years and I am past child bearing. The histeroscopy I had in 2002 worked wonders - for a while. Since then, more fibroids have developed and it's pretty crowded in there. In addition to the crowded condition, they are causing irregular periods with very heavy bleeding, back & leg pain, and the pressure on my bladder causes stress incontinence. All in all, my uterus was severely impacting my quality of life.

When 3 consecutive pap smears came back abnormal, I was told unequivocally - Hysterectomy. I sought a second opinion.

My second opinion GYN was much more informative and helpful. She gave me a number of options and after some research, I decided that hysterectomy was still my best option.

BUT - I still put it off another 2 years. There were many reasons for the delay, but in the end the discomfort became too great to ignore and now I'm actually looking forward to the new year and a new me. No, I'm not jumping up and down in anticipation (unless you count trips to the bathroom), but I did feel a sense of relief once the appointment was made.

It was not an easy decision to make, but I am comfortable with it and ready to resume a 'normal' life that doesn't include pain and scheduling around my periods.

It sounds as if you have some time, so give it some. Weigh the options and the pros and cons of each. I believe in the end you will come to a decision you can be at peace with it.

I wish you all the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2011, 11:59 AM

I also "chose" to have a Hysterectomy. I was so "for" it that my doctor was kind of worried that I would be making a bad choice. At 28, she thought I may want more children (regardless of the risks) later on down the road. I have two children and with the amount of stress they put on my body...there was no way that I wanted to do that again. In my family there are only two females who havent had something (ie: uterus, ovaries, etc.) removed...those two are my younger cousin (who has already had a uterine biopsy) and my mother (who bleeds BLACK and is going through menopause..also refuses to be checked out). There is a huge risk of cervical/uterine cancer in my family. With that being said...I had numerous fibroids and cysts (some had already ruptured and came back) and I was in a great deal of pain. My periods would sometimes last 4-8 wks at a time..I would stop for a wk and then right back to drowning myself in blood. Sex was extremely painful to me and my husband was growing irritated at the lack of intercourse (mainly because I didnt want to) we were having. The "choice" was easy and boiled down to this: PAIN (and most likely to be diagnosed w/cancer soon..since I had a couple "abnormal" paps already) OR...FREEDOM from diseased organs? Now being 1 yr & 3 months (also quit smoking then too!) I feel pretty good (and GREAT about the decision that I made)..it does take a while to get over though (depending on what type of Hysterectomy you have). Ultimately the choice is yours! Hope this has helped some! Good luck and God Bless!
Unread 10-29-2011, 12:15 PM

I also chose the hysterectomy. Five years ago I had an ablation after my youngest was born. Didn't have problems until 1 year ago. Just tired of the spotting all the time, the cramps, spotting after sex, I really didn't want my uterus anymore....she served me well! I have 6 wonderful children and decided before my appointment that I was going to go in and tell my dr. what I wanted.
I do not feel bad for my decision, it is my body.
Unread 10-29-2011, 12:27 PM

I knew that it would be the "Only" answer to fully take care of my pain. Based on that I was very happy to have it done. Happy to have my years of pain end. But if given a choice and IF I was not in so much pain for so long I would NEVER CHOOSE surgery.
In the end I do not think that we choose it but we choose what is best for us at the time...
Unread 10-29-2011, 12:30 PM

I also chose to have a hysterectomy. I have a 4cm fibroid and heavy painful periods. My dr. Ran down all options available and gave me a few weeks to think about and research what I wanted to do. This is the best choice for me. I have 2 great daughters and a step-daughter. I was not going to have anymore children so that was never a concern for me, as it could be for some of the other "sisters.". I may seem a little off, but the idea of no more periods, pain, and blood loss for me sounds wonderful. I want to enjoy my family and life and this I hope will improve my quality of life. I wish you all the best.
Unread 10-29-2011, 01:06 PM

For me, it is elective. The dr. says I can do nothing and keep taking iron to make up for my blood loss. Live with the pain. Hormone therapy is not a choice for me because it causes its own host of problems for me. I can also attempt to remove the fibroids with or without ablation. I can have a hyster and keep or lose my cervix and ovaries as I choose.

I have another sonogram scheduled, this time with saline, to see if they can tell how deep my fibroids are imbedded. If they are shallow I'll try removing just the fibroids. If they aren't then I have my hyster scheduled for Dec.

It is never fun to decide on things like this. If you feel you have exhausted other forms of treatment then your decision is really to live with it or get rid of it.

Because there is no rush in your case, think about it, study, ask questions until you can determine what is right for you. Then you can decide. For me, I know I can't continue to live like this. My husband is a blessing and he suffers when I suffer. My life right now is a shadow of what it should be. I have no energy, live in pain, plan my life around explosive bleeding. I deserve better than this and if it means hyster is how I do it then I'm at peace with it.
Unread 10-29-2011, 01:24 PM

I did not "choose" to have a hysterectomy... my DR told me it was the only viable option for me and, having done my research, I agreed with her.

I have had some very major health consequences since my surgery, and that often makes me wish that I had never had to go down this path. The *only* thing that gives me peace is that I know I had no real choice and did what was best for my health at the time given the information we had on which to base a decision.

I would advise you to be absolutely certain that the surgery is the last/best option before proceeding. If you have a good outcome, great; but if you are among the minority who experience a poor outcome or long-term negative health impact from the surgery, knowing you did what was best will help you deal with the emotional fallout.

Take your time... and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-29-2011, 01:50 PM

I never choose mine my gyno and doctor both told me its my only option im only 27 been through so much have 3 daughters and am booked in for a total hysterecomy admonial on monday halloween. Its happend to fast within 4wks of getting second opion

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register