Who made the choice? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Who made the choice? Who made the choice?

Unread 10-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Re: Who made the choice?

I wonder if any of us truly "chose" to have a hysterectomy. I decided after trying the other options and having pain 24/7 to have this to help with my endometriosis. Prior to having this done, I had been on Lupron for three years which can cause other problems. It quit working and I was in agony. So I decided to have it done.
And I turned out to be in the minority and ended up with several other medical problems. I know I made the right decision but you really want to make sure that you are making the right decision. Sometimes surgery doesn't fix everything and can cause other problems.
Talk to your doc and discuss all options available. Then make the decision based on that. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2011, 02:31 PM

It was actually 2 Dr's in the practice that I go to, when I went the first time for pain,my regular Dr had been on call for the weekend,so had one of his partner's who did a medical history and did a quick internal and then when I sat up I bled out everywhere (eeewwwww).that was a monday, went back on thursday to see my regular Dr, and he did a endometrial biposy and concurred with his partner,have gone for the pre-op with him, and he explained alot to me, so feel comfortable with the decision.. but of course since that visit I havent had any pain, and I had a period that lasted 4 days and was light. Dr did an ablation this past april , but like I said in another post I bled all through, July, August and part of Sept..
So I guess it was a mutual decision, the Dr's being the experts and me, wanting to be able to live a hopefully healthy life
Unread 10-29-2011, 02:33 PM

For me the option was put out there several years before my problems started. Basically my doctor said we can perform the hysterectomy or we could wait.

At that point I decided to wait as I wasn't having any problems. That was in 2005. Things got worse in 2009 which included the blood clots.

I had gotten a shot of Lupron and took a wait and see approach for a little while longer. Things got worse in 2010 and I decided it was time.

It was a harder road than most to get here since that decision, but I'm finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and a surgery a little more than two weeks away.

For me, I will be happy to be done with the periods and very, very heavy bleeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2011, 09:45 PM

I did not choose hysterectomy. My gyne and family doctor both reecommended it. I was in constant pain and my quality of life was suffering greatly. Even this pain wasn't enough to make me want one, thats how desperately I wanted to keep my uterus. But I had abnormal pap tests and HPV positive so I was high risk. My cervix scarred shut from the LEEP procedure and the gyne couldn't get a biopsy to see if my cervical cells were normal. And also my period couldn't pass through my cervix. The only silver lining in this so far for me is that I will Never, Ever, in my life have to walk back into the colposcopy clinic for another horrible biopsy. My gyne told me when he saw my name on the slate in the morning he felt sick in his stomach all day because he knew that he was going to hurt me.

So thats my long story. Short story is very few of us want to have major surgery and remove an organ that is so important to us. We do it because it's our only option for a normal life.
Unread 10-29-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura84 View Post
I never choose mine my gyno and doctor both told me its my only option im only 27 been through so much have 3 daughters and am booked in for a total hysterecomy admonial on monday halloween. Its happend to fast within 4wks of getting second opion
Best of luck to you on Monday. I will have my surgery the next day. Sending you positive healing energy.
Unread 11-02-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beryl55 View Post
I did choose the hysterectomy, but it wasn't an easy decision. In my case, not having surgery was an option. I wasn't in pain or having bleeding, but my fibroids were so large it was becoming a question of damaging other organs.
That was my situation, too: not a lot of pain or extreme bleeding, but my bladder, bowel, and stomach were affected. My gyn never offered any other solution than a hysterectomy. She said I could pick when to have it, now or later.

I did a lot of research. I think it's odd that she didn't offer any other choices, but in the end, I was satisfied that the hysterectomy was the best solution for me. At the rate the fibroid was growing, I knew removing it or shrinking it would not really solve the problem.

I'm so glad I did it sooner, rather than later. I think it's making my recovery easier.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register