What surprised you the most? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What surprised you the most? What surprised you the most?

Unread 10-30-2011, 09:09 AM
What surprised you the most?

Specifically geared toward those who've had their surgeries -- what surprised you the most, in terms of hospital experience, pain, general comfort, and long term recovery? Were things pretty much as you expected? Better, worse, or just altogether different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Re: What surprised you the most?

Things pretty much went as expected, from everything I had read on here. I am post-op 5 days now.

The most surprising thing was my horrible roommate. My nurses were great never waited more then 5 minutes and only had to call twice they were pretty well on top of things. My pain was well managed, morophine in the hospital and percoset and naproxen when I got home. The worst pain has been muscular from where the incisions were done. General comfort has been fine, getting in and out of bed is the most uncomfortable. I feel things have gone well overall.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
Unread 10-30-2011, 12:02 PM

I'm surprised how easy it has been. I was prepared for a lot more pain and brain fuzzies. With help from my family & friends, I've been able to really take it easy for the first week of recovery. They've taken care of things so that I can rest. If I want to try doing something, they are there to make sure I'm OK. I still have a few brain fuzzies when I use Percocet, but I need it less every day.

I have to put in a plug for the belly band they sell here. I got the one that has a pocket for soft-gel ice packs. What a lifesaver! I think that's half the reason I feel as well as I do. I wear it just about all the time, even when I'm sleeping. It makes all the difference in the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2011, 12:05 PM

I was most surprised at how the medications made me eyes blurry. I stopped in at the bookstore and got a few novels to read while recovering and didn't read a page because I couldn't focus on the words. My nurse and dr suggested switching but my other big surprise was how successful the pain management was. I wasn't willing to risk upsetting the balance to read... thank goodness for TIVO. I have been saving shows for a couple weeks to watch!
Unread 10-30-2011, 01:14 PM

I am 14 weeks post op. I'm surprised by how long it's taking to heal. I'm still sore and working & commuting is difficult. Grocery shopping by myself is not fun. I was also surprised at the kindness if people, some of whom I did not expect it from. It's in times like this you find out who your true friends are. I was also surprised that I couldn't do any of the reading or cross stitching that I planned to do in my recovery. I couldn't mentally focus on the books and I couldn't sit long enough to make stitching worthwhile. I have a new appreciation for my family: my sweet 16 year old son and my DH for helping me and hugging me. And my darling little Siamese who never left my side.
Unread 10-30-2011, 01:21 PM

I had an LAVH & a rectocele repair and what surprises me the most is that I'm not in pain from the rectocele repair at all! That's been a very nice surprise

The LAVH hasn't been bad either, with the exception of the gas pain which was miserable. My LAVH was a little tricky because my uterus had fused to my old c-section scar tissue inside and had to be cut away which caused a lot of bruising and swelling and I'm still dealing my more belly pain than I anticipated... but it is not near as bad as I thought it would be. Just take it easy, rest, and stay on top of your pain and things will be fine.
Unread 10-30-2011, 06:06 PM

Good and not so good things!

Never having had surgery before, I was surprised at the speed with which I woke up in recovery and felt completely rational! Just didn't remember a thing about the op. (whew!! )

Best surprise was to find I had a single room with an ensuite (adjoining walk-in shower and toilet). Yay!

Gas pain was worse than I expected - for about 3 weeks!

But, at 8 weeks, I often forget I had surgery (and it was the complete works, with a 17 cm vertical incision) - and that's a nice surprise. Was wondering when/if some of that discomfort would go, and it does!
Unread 10-31-2011, 03:58 PM

I'm surprised at how fatigued I am. It is almost 6 weeks for me and I tire so easily. My 6 wk check up is tomorrow and I hope to be back at work on this week. I just hope I can make it thru a full day no problem. My boss did tell me I can work half days if I need to which is nice but financially it will be nice to get back to normal.
Unread 10-31-2011, 04:37 PM

I was most surprised by the emotional roller coaster - just tearing up at nothing.
Nursing staff were wonderful. It is very busy in hospital if you are there overnight.
Unread 10-31-2011, 05:02 PM

I had read about the pain after the op and was really surprised that I didn't really have any, just like period cramps. I got out of bed the next day unaided and that didn't hurt. I took paracetamol, 500mg, 2 three times a day and 1 Ibruprone 3 times a day for a week. My worst pain and this really hurt was the pain in my left thigh. I got back from the hospital and tried to sleep in bed, flat and the leg woke me up and I was in so much pain we nearly called an ambulance. I called the Dr's office and was told it is normal but was sent for ultrasound to check for clots, all clear. That has taken over two weeks to subside. Turns out it is femeral nerve damage and often happens when you are laid in one position on the table. I found best thing was to keep moving, going for short walks often. Night time was the worst. I'm still sleeping on a V shaped pillow so that I don't lay flat. I keep a pillow under that leg and up to my thigh. Other than that I feel geat. My surgeon was fantasic. Anyone needing treatment in Brisbane Australia contact me & I will send you his details. Can't find anywhere on here to put up Australian Drs only the American ones.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register