What surprised you the most? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What surprised you the most? What surprised you the most?

Unread 10-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Re: What surprised you the most?

I think the lower pain level is what has pleasantly surprised me the most. I had my appendix removed when I was 9-10 (before laparoscopic) and remembered the pain of that. It's so much less! Just crampy type pains, the gas pains, that thankfully have just been in my belly, etc. I'm 4 days post op today. I'm using less of the meds than I could, but did use the full amount over night just to aid sleeping.

I'm still very happy that I've gotten it done and don't have to deal with any issues in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2011, 09:30 PM

If you're having a Da Vinci then my "surprises" might not apply to you. I was surprised by how much pain I was in for so long and how inconvenient all of the pain was. I was also surprised at how long I didn't care about anything other than fluids, pain meds and sleep considering how OCD I am. The house was an absolute disaster by the time I came out of the post-surgery stupor and I honestly didn't notice it happening. On the up side, I'm surprised that I'm having very little issue with menopause so far and that my recovery was complication-free.
Unread 11-01-2011, 01:02 AM

So many of you are recovering without a lot of pain which is wonderful.

It would be interesting to read the type of surgery you had such as:

TVH cystocele (grade if possible), rectocele (grade), endocele
LAVH
Da
or just cystocele
or just vaginal repair

It can give a more acurate picture of the type of surgery and how a patient recovers and heals.

Wishing you all a very good recovery and NO complications!

Reality2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2011, 01:34 AM

Well I am in my second week of recovery, and have to say I am doing really well. (I live in Port Augusta, South Australia.) The gas attacks have ceased, much to my relief, thanks to a suggestion I read on this site about taking 'DeGas'. Have been on paracetamol when needed, usually for a headache from laying down too much.
My stomach is still really sore to touch due to the cut and stitches and bruising (obviously), so looking forward to that healing. I can get out of bed without any pain, and sleep properly now.
I have started going for short walks, for boredom and trying to get stronger. Hoping to go back to work next week (I am a teacher). The boredom is the worst I am finding at the moment, but considering everything, probably the best thing!

Until my next message!

Karina
Unread 11-01-2011, 01:58 AM

I am surprised by the time it is taking, the wound and its' size, the packing, the smell, the pain, all the antibiotics and I just have not had a good time after surgery. It all went ok till the staples came out and everything opened back up. I am miserable most days and now I have a terrible odor coming from the wound and the packing that I can't even describe.
Unread 11-02-2011, 12:15 PM
That having a hysterectomy was such a good decision

Not only did I eliminate all of the symptoms that had plagued me since I was 12, a lot of other medical problems that I thought were unrelated went away. Like chronic headaches and gastritis. I now take NO medications except HRT and feel better than I ever have.

Other surprises:

Yoga helped me heal. I had surgery in mid-May and started yoga in late July. It really helped me regain strength and obtain flexibility I never had before.

Healing was not linear. Some days I felt good, other days I was exhausted. It took 6 months before I forgot I had a hysterectomy.

Using hormones did not cause me to gain weight. In fact, I had been on weight watchers to lose weight before my surgery, and on HRT I continued to lose weight. Made my goal about a year after surgery, with slow but steady loss.

I was afraid to have sex for awhile, but once I got over the fear I discovered that everything worked perfectly well and it didn't hurt.
Unread 11-02-2011, 12:47 PM

I had TAH on 19th September. This has been both the easiest and the hardest recovery.

My incision has healed beautifully; no ingrown hair, no weeping, little pain. By contrast, my C-section scar took over a year to stop being gross.

However, an inadvertant post op overdose (interns!) forced me to recover at home with no pain management. The outside may have felt fine but the tenderness and pain lower down was the worst. Ice packs were a Godsend!

I was surprised to learn that my uterus was necrotic and had adhesions and that those adhesions had been causing all sorts of other pains that doctors have been trying to diagnose for two years. Most of the symptoms disappeared post op. It was NOT all in my head as some docs had suggested. Despite all of my post op issues, I was surprised at how much better I felt after feeling so bad for so long. It was a wise decision.

The exhaustion is so grinding. Six weeks on and it's obvious this is going to take more time. But I have an understanding DH and now have a new health care team to help me.

I was surprised that I was diagnosed with spasmodic pelvic disorder at my 6-week yesterday, but not surprised at the depression diagnosis. I thought my rectal pain was from hemmorhoids, but a muscle relaxer is helping and other meds are helping with my emotions. Lesson learned: don't let things go too long! Get help if you need it.

I was surprised by nurses and doctors who have been willing to hold my hand, give me a shoulder to cry on, and reach out to offer help when I didn't have it in me to ask. We don't normally get that in the military health care system. It has inspired me to become a medical professional myself; something I'd always thought I'd like to do but never had the guts to try!

I was not surprised by the emotional support I get from the HysterSisters here!
For some it was an easy recovery, for others it's been a longer road, but it amazes me at how much pain and suffering women can endure yet still be able to reach outside of themselves to those who need lifting up.
Unread 11-02-2011, 12:54 PM

I was very surprised at how terrible the gas pains were, which only lasted about 4 days but it felt like an eternity. Also the VERY painful BM's for about 5 weeks. Felt like I was pooping nails and I wasn't constipated.

Also, I'm surprised at how long its taking to just get over this. I'm still sore, swollen, tired and fatigued daily. Everyone kept telling me that I'll feel like a new person after surgery but that has not happened. I feel worse than I did before surgery.

I just want to feel normal again and not feel like I'm handicapped. I can't do the things I did before and that's the worst part.

I'm just waiting...........impatiently.
Unread 11-02-2011, 01:19 PM

I was surprised at how tired I was for the first few weeks. I made fun of my sister when she had her hyst for needing "naptime" but now I understand!

I was surprised that the pain wasn't all that bad - I think the morphine fog for the first 12 hours was a good thing. I remember waking up that night at the castle and needing to push the button because my belly felt like period cramps coupled with constipation cramps.

I was surprised at the need to tell everyone about my gas & poop habits. Thank goodness for my mom and sister who had done this before me - so they didn't think I was weird! I even got a hooray when I pooped for the first time.

I was surprised at how quickly I felt like my pre-surgery self - and then I improved beyond that so I was surprised at how bad I felt and didn't know it.

Someone had asked what surgery each response has had - it's listed on the right of our names - I had a total LAVH with both ovaries removed 15 weeks ago today.
Unread 11-02-2011, 02:03 PM
What surprised you the most?

Hi, TVH 8/4. I was surprised at the emotional roller coaster I have gone through. Surgery and recovery was picture perfect, no complications, minimal pain easily controlled with OTC meds. Was home from work for 6 weeks, kids went back to school after 4 weeks. I did a lot of soul searching and became reaquainted with myself and found that I'm really an ok person. Then went back to work, to the pettiness that I really didn't notice before and found that I don't like that aspect of my job, had no tolerance for it, and the people that participate in it. The people that I thought were my friends aren't really on the same level, spiritially, as I am, and that's tough to deal with. No one want's to lose a friend, but some friendships are not healthy. Anyway, crying jags were not a part of my life before, but were after surgery. Even though I still have my ovaries, I am now on a low dose of estrogen and feel much, much better. My foggy brain is gone and emotions are under control. I was prepared for physical pain, but not emotional imbalance. Everything seems to be in sync now, but that was a surprise.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register