To take my ipod touch or not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To take my ipod touch or not? To take my ipod touch or not?

Unread 10-31-2011, 02:06 AM
To take my ipod touch or not?

My questions and thinking gets more confused the closer I get!

Anyway the letter from the hospital says not to take any valuables so I wonder if i should take my ipod touch or not ... on the plus side though, it will have music, books to read, the time since my watch is broken and help keep me sane. No wifi at the hospital which would have been nice, but should I take it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2011, 05:56 AM
Re: To take my ipod touch or not?

I am wondering the same thing. I am going to ask my partner to hold on to my iPad until I get back to my room. I figure I won't be venturing too far from room and can keep eye on things. I will simply be lost without the Internet hehe
Unread 10-31-2011, 06:00 AM

I took both my cell phone and my ipod - it was amazing how well I felt (could have been the morphine!) I had some great text chats with my sister in law right after I finally was awake after surgery. The ipod was great because I could listen to soothing music and it relaxed me. Nothing worse than waking up startled when the nurses are in your room doing their routine things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2011, 06:32 AM

Just be sure you don't leave it laying on your tray table. One of our sisters had her's disappear.
Unread 10-31-2011, 08:17 AM

I took my smartphone... which did come in handy to text everyone that I was fine after surgery, I visited hystersisters and facebook updates for family & friends, and also listened to music a little bit. I will say though that my eyes were very fuzzy because of the anesthesia and morphine and without my reading glasses there would have been no way I could have even seen my phone, let alone the little tiny text on it. If you are going to bring valuables, have your loved one keep your things until you are in your room. I brought nothing in but myself so only my clothes were in the patient belonging bag, then once I was coherent enough to know my name my husband retrieved my overnight bag from the car.

Good luck with your upcoming surgeries!
Unread 10-31-2011, 08:19 AM

I couldn't have used it and I was only in overnight. It's easy to lose those things in the bed linens when you're drowsy from meds, and if you leave it on a dirty meal tray it can get taken away, etc. But if you're there a few days you might want to chance it. If someone could hold it for you until you wake up enough to use it, that might be best. Label it with your name, some hospitals have name stickers, and be careful to know where it is. If I'd been awake I'd have liked it, but really the TV was enough for me.
Unread 10-31-2011, 09:51 AM

I brought mine but didn't use it. The drugs had me pretty out of it so could barely look at the tv. I just didn't even care about it. Maybe have someone bring it to you the second day if you are gonna be there that long. Then you will be coherent enough to keep an eye on it.
Unread 10-31-2011, 09:58 AM

i brought my phone but it was with my sister the entire time til i got to my room. once we settled, she plugged it in & clipped the cord to one of the bed linens clip so my phone won't get dropped...basically laying next to my pillow if i ever want to use it....and close enuf that no one would come and steal it.
Unread 10-31-2011, 11:16 AM

I took my iPhone and was very glad I did. I used it to text & keep track of my 16 year old son and find out when DH was coming to visit. I also played a couple games and listened to music while I fell asleep.
Unread 10-31-2011, 02:12 PM

I had TAH and took my phone loaded with music. I never listened to it after the surgery. I did listen to it to drown out everyone sitting around, staring at me while I waited (5 hours) to go into surgery. That was helpful since people were getting on MY LAST NERVE when I asked them ahead of time to not just sit and stare at me because I was already very nervous. Well, of course, some just sat at the end of my bed and had conversations that I didn't give a rat's arse about......like I wasn't even there.......... grrrr !

While in the hospital, I was on morphine and was just plain too sleepy to do anything. I barely even watched tv. I was only in there 2 days & 3 hours.

Personally, I don't think its necessary to take an ipod.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register