Bowel prep questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel prep questions Bowel prep questions

Unread 10-31-2011, 06:53 AM
Bowel prep questions

Hello Sisters!

My surgery is 3 days away and the day before is the bowel prep- a WHOLE bottle !!! "sigh" can some of my sisters tell me will this be regular movements just a lot for the day? or will I have to be "running" (no pun intended) to the bathroom?

My doctor told me to take it about noon, am I going to be moving for the rest of the day? Also, about how many times can I expect to be "moving"? How about a time frame?

WHAT a topic but inquiring sisters need to know- LOL

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2011, 07:09 AM
Re: Bowel prep questions

Hi quadma69, my bowel prep consisted of 4 dulcolax laxatives at noon then an entire bottle of mirilax mixed with 64 oz of power aid at 2.... I went every 20-30 minutes starting around 2:30-3ish,all liquid, it was not a great day. Sorry but want you to know what you can expect. Good luck!!!! ~tif
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:14 AM

Make plans to stay close to the toilet. Mine came on after an hr or so and lasted for about six hrs total. I was running to the bathroom every 20 to 30 minutes! Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2011, 08:15 AM

Oh finally something I can comment on. I've done a bunch of colonoscopies in the past so I'm kind of an expert on the prep thing.

Once you drink the stuff (which I usually refer to as the "***** blast juice"), you don't wanna make any plans for the rest of the day. The stuff tastes yucky, and the not eating is kind of a drag, but the actual bathroom runs aren't THAT bad. Not painful or uncomfortable, but not probably what you would choose to do with your afternoon if you had a choice.

Best advice - SOFT disposable baby wipes (Splurge on the good ones) and a few mindless magazines kept in the bathroom.

It's not a party, but it's really not the worst thing in the world, either.

Oh - and edited to add - drink water ALL day. And juice, and Gatorade... but drink ALL day, even when you're not thirsty and when the last thing you want is another bottle of water. The bathroom runs will dehydrate you and you'll feel a lot better if you started with a ton of fluid in ya. I made the mistake the first time of not doing that, and how you'll feel is night and day if you're full of liquid before the bathroom show begins.
Unread 10-31-2011, 08:16 AM

I had to drink a bottle of mag citrate and once it hit (probably a little less than an hour later) I needed to be near the bathroom for the rest of the afternoon and until around 10pm. Also, the best suggestions I read here were to have some sort of cleansing wipes and soothing ointment (like A&D) available. You probably won't feel up to going out to get them, but if you're like me, you'll want them! TP becomes too rough to use no matter how cushy it is so the wipes and ointment are necessary. Good luck and hang in there, you'll make it through!!
Unread 10-31-2011, 09:19 AM

WOW ! Thanks sisters - I am not looking forward to it BUT its all a part of the journey and the end result is going to be great!
Unread 10-31-2011, 04:11 PM

I took my 10oz bottle of mag citrate at about 12pm this afternoon and I've still not gone! It's been 5 hours. My stomach is a little gurgly, but nothing yet. I am going to drink some coffee in a little bit if I haven't gone. While it's not a "clear" liquid, it's better at moving things along. My surgery is set for 6am tomorrow morning. Was hoping the potty trips would be over by now as I have 4 little cave people that want to go trick or treating in a couple of hours!! I'm a little nervous about the mag citrate becoming effective halfway around the block!! *big sighs!*
Unread 10-31-2011, 06:13 PM

Mine was most of a bottle of magnesium caltrate (or something like that) OTC. Around 8 oz plus 8 oz water. It was kinda like having a virus w/out the cramping (signaled I needed to go, but not severe cramping). Diarrhea, very watery at the end. Fairly often, don't leave home once you've started. Not pleasant, but at least it didn't last forever. I still went to the bathroom a couple of times the next morning, just fyi. (Had an afternoon surgery scheduled).
Unread 10-31-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2bme View Post
Was hoping the potty trips would be over by now as I have 4 little cave people that want to go trick or treating in a couple of hours!! I'm a little nervous about the mag citrate becoming effective halfway around the block!! *big sighs!*

Not to be "debbie downer" But I would NOT go if I were you! It will kick in, and when it does, you don't have much notice. If you are feeling "Gurgly" you don't have a whole lot longer to wait. Send the cave people off with Daddy or a Neighbor friend, and send your camera with them... Just my 2 cents.
Unread 10-31-2011, 08:57 PM

Well, it's 10pm and STILL haven't gone!! My surgery is at 6am so I'm getting a little nervous! I'm going to do an enema I guess to see if that will work. I had gastric bypass surgery 7 years ago, so things don't move along as often as they do for others, but 10oz of mag citrate should have moved SOMETHING! Not looking forward to spending the night in the bathroom, but not sure what else to do at this point. Will they not do the surgery if I haven't gone potty??

Oh, and I took the kids out trick or treating and we walked for almost 2 hours! I was hoping the walking would get things moving some I'm drinking like crazy now in hopes it'll start working. I feel kind of yucky just from not eating all day and the yuck of the mag citrate, but otherwise, doing okay. Who'd think this would be my biggest fear the night before my hysterectomy!!??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register