Are We Covered? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are We Covered? Are We Covered?

Unread 12-19-2001, 12:31 PM
Are We Covered?

Dear Sisters,

Someone raised the insurance issue with me yesterday and frankly, I hadn't given it a thought. How are you sure your policy will cover the surgery? Is it ever considered elective when a doctors recommends it? I'm a little leary of asking my insurance carrier since I don't want to start something. Is the doctor the one to ask?

Thanks,

Kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2001, 12:45 PM
insurance

I think it's a good idea to call your insurance company. I found out that I would save a fortune by having mine done before the end of the year.

If you have an employee handbook it might be in there.

It's not like it's elective surgery. One of my friends added on a tummy tuck and they even paid for that because it was called reconstruction.

Ya never know. Good Luck.
dlr
Unread 12-19-2001, 06:26 PM
Are We Covered?

Kate - When my gyn. suggested hyst...and I said OK...the nurse called and got it approved before I left the office. I didn't have to call my insurance co. at all. Matter of fact, I only talked with them once - it was the staff insurance nurse - and she asked me if I had any questions and gave me this website. I sure am thankful for her!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2001, 06:34 PM
Are We Covered?

Hi Kate,

This is Dawn in Mpls. I called my HMO when I decided to go ahead with the hyst. Although, it is considered elective surgery to the HMO, it was 100% covered. I just called customer service and they didn't even ask my name....just my plan.

I guess I would want to know before I went in! Good Luck!
Unread 12-19-2001, 07:14 PM
Are We Covered?

The surgery coordinator at my doctor's office submits all the paperwork and calls for the approvals to the insurance company. I've never had to call them for pre-approval, the Doc's office does all that. You may want to check with your doctor's office staff.

BSQ
Unread 12-19-2001, 08:10 PM
Are We Covered?

The surgery scheduler usually calls the insurance to see if the surgery needs to be precertified, but precertification and coverage of the whole thing are two different matters. I would check your plan because they are all very different. If you have insurance through you or your husband's company they have provided you with a book that should have all of this info in it. If you have a plan that covers it, of course, you have to have a medical reason to have the hyst (which I'm sure you do) and the Dr's office has to give the diagnosis and proper ICD codes. I worked in a medical office.

Hope this helps.

Sherry
Unread 12-20-2001, 06:45 AM
Are We Covered?

Dear Sisters,

Thanks! Great advice, as usual.

Kate

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register