Medical marijuana for pain relief after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Medical marijuana for pain relief after surgery? Medical marijuana for pain relief after surgery?

Unread 10-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Medical marijuana for pain relief after surgery?

I know that this might be a controversial subject, but I know I cant be the only one out here that has a hard time with narcotics for pain relief. I live in MT and have the opportunity to benefit from this alternative medicine. I am just wondering if anybody else has used this after surgery (or for pain relief from endometriosis before surgery). I have had endometriosis for 20+ years and am finally going to have some definitive treatment (Davinci hyst on Nov 22). I am trying to plan for a comfortable speedy recovery. Any experiences with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2011, 10:18 PM
Re: Medical marijuana for pain relief after surgery?

I don't like taking narcotic pain meds because I don't like the way they make me feel. Have you tried Tramadol? It's not a narcotic and it's a good pain reliever.
Unread 10-31-2011, 10:55 PM

For me, narcotics cause more problems than they solve and during a conversation with my doctor last week, Tramadol came up as a good alternative. I'm going to give it a shot. (pun not intended)

As a child of the 70's, I smoked MJ recreationally for a while (sssshh) and tried using it as a headache remedy. I always found that the pain never really went away, I just tended to fall asleep and not care anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenerdog View Post
I know that this might be a controversial subject, but I know I cant be the only one out here that has a hard time with narcotics for pain relief. I live in MT and have the opportunity to benefit from this alternative medicine. I am just wondering if anybody else has used this after surgery (or for pain relief from endometriosis before surgery). I have had endometriosis for 20+ years and am finally going to have some definitive treatment (Davinci hyst on Nov 22). I am trying to plan for a comfortable speedy recovery. Any experiences with this?
Hi hon

I do understand your feelings about meds I think in some way or another everyone has some kind of worry or apprehension about them and some of us dont get on with them and some of us just have to bear with them...wether we like it or not......

My advice to u would be to NOT take MJ and the reason y i say this is because MJ is a depressant....and can couse some mental illnesses in later years...including memory loss...My sister has had this exp and a few years ago had too start taking antidepressants and to think she used to be the strongest of the girls in our family....it makes u paranoid anxious low and depressed and i dont think its a risk worth taking i really dont but then at the end of the day the decision is yours and i really hope the exp my sister has had and with me sharing it has made a difference to som1...xxxx I would find an alternative but not MJ....xxx

hugs xxxxxxxxx
Unread 11-01-2011, 10:37 AM

As a legal treatment in your area, your doctor would probably be a great resource in helping you weigh your options with using medical MJ or not. Hopefully with the type of hysterectomy you're having, you will not need pain relief for long
Unread 11-01-2011, 10:46 AM

I have friends in CA who have utilized medical MJ for cancer and glaucoma and all needed to have the disease be considered chronic (or in the case of the cancer, terminal for one friend) in order to get the prescriptions. This was awhile ago so I don't know if the laws in CA have changed, and I'm sure the laws are different for each state, but I wonder if you can get the rx for what should be a temporary pain relief need. Your Dr or pharmacist should be able to answer more questions regarding availability. As far as whether or not medical MJ helps - my friends with cancer were mainly put on the treatment to assist with nausea and appetite/weight gain and for one of them it helped a lot, the other, not so much. My friend with glaucoma swears by it. Hope that helps a little bit...
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:35 PM

Thanks so much for all of your replies! I have been doing some research in our town, and have found the whole process of getting a 'prescription' to be a little sketchy. My doctor cant prescribe it, as she works for a large clinic, but was supportive when I had questions about it. Still unsure what to do about pain. Maybe I wont have any to worry about...ha! Thanks again.
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:31 PM

Not everyone deals with a lot of post op pain so you may be just fine. I only asked for meds once, and that was the day after surgery while still in the hospital. Even with a long list of complications, I didn't need any prescription or non-prescription pain meds after that.

Ladies, as a reminder, HysterSisters.com is a public website. All posts can be read by anyone accessing the web. Thus, posts which mention illegal activities--including currently using marijuana in state where it is not legal to do so--will be and have been removed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register