Leisure wear or pj's?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Leisure wear or pj's?? Leisure wear or pj's??

Unread 12-19-2001, 01:27 PM
Leisure wear or pj's??

Hi again ladies.

As my surgery date gets closer and once the Christmas rush is over, I intend to shop for MYSELF in the new year.

I was wondering what you ladies preferred to wear post-op? Did you find PJ's and nighties more comfortable or just stretchy pants and sweats? I personally don't care for night GOWNS because I find they twist around (must be the claustraphobic in me :eyes but I love pyjamas with pants.

I suppose if having the waist band is irritating I could wear a gown. Any other suggestions as to what to buy for post-op would be greatly appreciated.

I do have a body pillow already and love to read so I'll stock up on some novels.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2001, 01:31 PM
Leisure wear or pj's??

In the hospital I just wore THEIR gowns.

At home I am wearing sweats, and don't recommend it--but not for what you think. It's far too easy to get up and do things. I have done MUCH too much. Today my son drove me to the store and I did several errands and I've been on the go since 6 days post op. NOT ADVISED.

STAY IN YOUR PJ's as long as possible. I am using pj's with an elastic waistband WHICH I HAVE CUT. I wanted them as BIG as possible. I also advise buying a package of underwear at least one size larger than normal. You might not have to wear underwear, but I do because I had a vaginal hyster, and I'm bleeding a bit.

I don't like nightgowns--they end up around my neck! After today, I intend on staying in my pj's for another week.
Unread 12-19-2001, 01:40 PM
Leisure wear or pj's??

Stay in the PJ's as long as you can. Then, maybe move up to sweats. I found the silk or polyester PJ's slide in the bed easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2001, 01:49 PM
big and comfortable

Don't worry about bringing a nightie or pj's to the hospital, as bookoholic says. It really is best to wear what they provide, and have a nightgown to put over it for walkies. My nightgown was so ratty that I went and bought a new one-- much more befitting a !

I like long robes, but many princesses don't because they feel they twist around. I found the lonest ones the best, as shorter ones did tend to ride up. I didn't dress until 2 weeks post op-- it is definitely a reminder that you are recuperating. Even now, nearly 4 weeks post op, I stay in jammies as long as possible just cause they're so comfortable.

I bought cheap sweats and what I used to call "old lady" underwear, (now I just say comfortable) a size too big, and they are the best so far, as long as I keep the waistband high up. I have swelly belly above my horizontal incision, and don't like anything across it.

NOTE: Since my DH and DS are doing the laundry, I have been known to run out of the big underwear I bought, and here's a tip-- wear some of hubby's. They actually felt good. (Luckily I'd just bought him a raft of new ones!)
Unread 12-19-2001, 02:07 PM
Leisure wear or pj's??

I was going to wear dh's underwear if necessary. I got a pair of "one size fits all" at the hospital as well as one large pair I had. That makes TWO, which I have to keep washing. NOT FUN.

DEFINITELY stay in jammies as long as possible. I wish I hadn't gotten up and looked so good. Everyone says I look great. That may sound fine, but no one waits on you--and I still am sore! I am off to take a shower and get back in my jammies....for the next few weeks. Even though I don't have a huge incision on my abdomen, the doctor DID take one ovary out that way, so I do have about a two inch bikini-line scar.

I prefer long robes. I didn't want mine to ride up.
Unread 12-19-2001, 03:16 PM
Hi Lisa34

Hi Lisa,

In my own situation, at the hospital I wore their gowns and undies. At home I wore big flannel jammie pants and stretchy undies, I'm 5 weeks and 2 days post op and I am now just getting into my jeans comfortably.
Unread 12-19-2001, 04:05 PM
Leisure wear or pj's??

Hi Lisa,
I also wore big comfy PJ's in the castle as well as at home for a long time. I had a verticle incision and they were very comfortable. On the "dressier" days, if I was having company, I just threw on one of those one size fits all caftans over my jammie bottoms, and was still really comfortable and very presentable to go to the door in etc..

The main thing is that you are comfortable so whatever that may be in than go for that!!

Books are great to have on hand, also, I have read where some of the ladies, bought a bunch of photo albums, and put all their pictures in them that they had laying around in envelopes. I think that is a great idea as well if you happen to have some of those envelopes of pictures around your place. I know I sure do...wish I had of thought of doing that during recovery myself.
Best of luck to you Lisa!!
Holiday Hugs
Maria
Unread 12-19-2001, 06:14 PM
My fashion statement

Hi, Lisa,

I am 4 days post-op and am setting a fashion trend at this very moment even as I write this:
I'm staying with friends, using their computer, and lounging around in a short flannel nightie and stretchy knit pants. The nightie is comfy and doesn't wrap around my legs, and the pants are big and baggy enough to be comfy too, but keep my legs covered. It's warm enough not to need a robe here, although I might throw one on if company comes.

Today I just put my winter coat on over top of this ensemble and walked up and down the driveway a few times. Easier than completely changing clothes and perfectly presentable.

I think loose pajamas would be good, also, and have a set in the closet that I haven't worn yet.

At the hospital, I wore their gowns. I wanted to put on one of mine, and the patient care tech didn't want to try shoving the IV through the arm, so I ended up staying in their lovely backless designs. Believe me, the moon was out last weekend at the hospital!! I did wear a nice medium-weight knee-length robe, though, and felt very presentable walking down the hall.

It's funny how unimportant appearance becomes to me when I become proud of my survival skills instead. But comfort is ALWAYS important.

My favorite hint: shop Goodwill. Buy some big, baggy pants and things that you won't worry about staining if you have a discharge or spill some food. Buy some really nice things (with the money you save from shopping Goodwill!) for the Princess-dress-up days when you want to feel pretty.

And buy those old-lady underwear! They're great!

It occurred to me tonight: when I was shopping at Goodwill pre-op, why didn't I buy some maternity pants? Those might have been a good, inexpensive, presentable choise to wear under short gowns, big shirts, pj tops. What do you think, ladies? I had a TAH and have a vertical incision, a little swelling and tenderness. Maternity pants might have been a good idea.
Unread 12-19-2001, 06:27 PM
Fashion Assassin Here

for me ... as soon as the IV bag was disconnected I put on my own jammies. Brite red ones with hearts and X's and O's on em, and my bunny slippers. I wear sleep shirts I guess you'd call em. Looks like a Men's PJ top, but it's a ladies and the shirt tails come down to just above my knees. Mostly they are very very soft. At the Castle I also wore my own underwear from the second day on.

At home I stay in the afore mentioned red jammies or other crazy patterened models, all day long. I only put on clothes if I am going to the Doctor's office or outside for any reason.

In public, I wear either casual dresses or some of my old fat jeans that are two sizes too big and the wait band practically meets the bottom of my bra. My regular size fits, but I have a vertical incision and don't particularly want a waist band iritating it just yet.

If I was a PJ Pants wearin kinda gal, I'd go with drawstring ones. That way I could adjust em as my tummy allows. I'm wearing my regula undies ... never had a problem with that after any of my surgeries.

BSQ
Unread 12-19-2001, 11:18 PM
Leisure wear or pj's??

Big flannel P.J.s with drawstrings, not elastic.

Also, while you are out shopping, get some sweats or other loose-fitting casual wear you'll be proud to be seen in - so when you start feeling up to walks around the neighborhood, you won't be prevented from going out by having nothing to wear.

It doesn't hurt also to have one very "drapey" dress, or wrap-around skirt - something a little dressier in case you want to go to lunch or dinner (as I did at 2 weeks - long before I was ready for my "normal" clothes). Jeans may not fit or be comfortable for a while, even once you're feeling pretty good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register