When/what can you eat? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When/what can you eat? When/what can you eat?

Unread 11-01-2011, 05:41 PM
When/what can you eat?

I haven't seen this question on here, so pardon me if it's been discussed elsewhere.

I'm heading to the castle at 5:30 tomorrow morning (yipes) and have been doing the pre-op cleanse all day today (ick) with of course, no food.

So that means I'm hungry.

I'm guessing that when you first wake up from surgery and you're all drugged up, you're probably not all that hungry, but when was the first time you were able to eat.... and what were you able to eat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Re: When/what can you eat?

I had my surgery in the afternoon and didn't get to my room until around 5:30. All they gave me was water and that was fine with me...was not hungry at all. The next morning they gave me a lovely breakfast of lemon ice and more water. I still had no appetite. I pretty much just drank water that whole day. I was only allowed bland mushy food like scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes. Thank goodness I was only there for 2 days because when I did try to eat.... the food was awful or my taste buds were off. I actually had not much of an appetite for the first month of my recovery. It is getting better now. Wishing you the best tomorrow!! Good Luck!!
Unread 11-01-2011, 06:32 PM

I had surgery early in the morning. At some point in the afternoon, they brought in a tray. There were saltines. The rest was liquid: broth, jello, and a couple types of juices. I took a few sips of juice.

The next day, they brought in a regular breakfast. I had a few bites of scrambled eggs and drank all of the oj. There were other things there, but I was satisfied with what I ate/drank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2011, 06:34 PM

I didn't get to eat for 24 hours after surgery...I was kinda hungry at that time, but honestly nothing tasted very good because of the remnants of the anesthesia.

Good luck w/your surgery! Prayers are heading your way...you will be just fine! And you appetite will return!
Unread 11-01-2011, 06:41 PM

I had dvh also. Having had one prior surgery in my life that I had to fast for, and being absolutely STARVING after that one, and them not letting me eat, I made sure to ask my doc at my pre op when I'd be able to eat. He told me I'd be allowed normal diet as soon as I wanted. My surgery was at 7:45 am, I was in recovery by 10, in a room around 1 ( just cuz it took forever to get one ready) and had them bring me a lunch tray shortly after. I ate half of a turkey sandwich, then had a couple snacks between lunch and dinner. Didn't eat much dinner cuz I didn't like it. Solid foods did feel pretty gummy in my mouth and were kind of hard to swallow. I was definitely hungry, but could only eat small portions even for several days post op.
Unread 11-01-2011, 07:21 PM

thanks for asking, i wonder also I hope everything goes really well for you tomorrow
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:08 PM

I had my surgery at 1 p.m. was in my room by 5. The nurse did my vitals and asked if I was hungry. YESSSSSS! lol. She brought me broth, gingerale and apple juice. I said can't I have a big mac. No. My broth was gone before she left the room as well as my juice and half the pop. They put me on regular diet for the morning, scarfed back my cheerios, banana bread and cheese. I left before lunch, sopped and grabbed a bagel and iced cappacino on the way home, had a sandwich mid afternoon and poutine for dinner. Pretty much been eating as normal just found the first couple days I felt full before I finished everything.

Good luck tomorrow!
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:10 PM

wow bingokitten, you did well with eating and getting back on a regular diet quickly
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:27 PM

Thanks, zadie.

I'm a nighthawk, so I usually eat late. I was not impressed when they said nothing after midnight before surgery. I wasn't hungry the morning of surgery since I hadn't hit a normal eating time for me.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:35 PM

Thanks, Bingkitten. That's what I wanted to hear. Right now I would kill for a bagel and I hope to feel that same way (and get a bagel) ASAP.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register