weight gain or loss following hysterectomy - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

weight gain or loss following hysterectomy weight gain or loss following hysterectomy

Unread 11-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Re: weight gain or loss following hysterectomy

I have lost 9lbs since surgery. I have maintained keeping it off but as I started to feel better so did my appetite.

So I have spent the past 3 weeks (week 6) walking every waking hour. (3-4 miles a day)

I was not losing weight prior to surgery and it had alot to do with fibroid's, not feeling well etc. I was able to keep my ovaries so I don;t have any hormonal issues yet.

Hardest thing is being home and kitchen be right there.

Eat less, walk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2011, 09:03 AM

About weight gain after hysterectomy, I wonder if it's more of an issue for women who go into surgical menopause which is common at the change of life. There are lots of post menopausal women who are in great shape too. Yoga, walking, weight bearing exercise, lots of things can be done to stimulate metabolism and stay in shape. Still, we need to be reasonable too, set attainable goals, even have a session or two with a personal trainer. They're not that expensive and they can be very supportive and motivating! Good luck with all that.
Unread 11-02-2011, 09:22 AM

I think you definitely get to count the weight of your uterus towards your weight loss!! You've earned the right to do so!

I'm like Traeleigh, and I have lost my appetite since surgery. I am eating far less than I used to. I'm still not at a point in my recovery where I can exercise much at all. I'm hoping to lose another couple pounds once I'm able to get started with that.

Good luck ladies :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2011, 12:27 PM

I lost 8lbs after surgery. Weighed myself a couple of weeks ago and only gained 1.5lbs but I'm eating more and getting back into my weight lifting program so that gain should (hopefully) be muscle.

Most, if not ALL weight gain before or after surgery, IMO, is from inactivity. Whether its because one is too anemic/tired/lazy to exercise or its because one CAN'T exercise after surgery for several months.

Ladies, I'm going to say something that might offend some and I'm not trying to honestly. I have never blamed hormones/fibroids for weight gain. In some instances, I think it can contribute but not be the actual cause. The majority of the problem for women that gain weight, is there own fault.

read my signature................

I personally don't worry about weight problems since my surgery. You are the only person that can prevent/resolve that issue. Don't play the blame game. Don't make excuses.

Years before my surgery, it didn't matter how bad I felt, how tired, sleepy, sick, etc., I was up at 4:40am lifting weights an hour a day, 5 days a week. If I didn't feel like getting up that early, I'd do it when I got home from work. I watched what I ate and I didn't put on weight (fat) even though my stomach had gotten to the size of a 8 month pregnancy. I didn't give up or give in.

Take responsibility for your bodies. I did.
Unread 11-02-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabrider View Post
What do you think caused you to lose your appetite? I want whatever that was! My surgery is a week from Friday - 11/11/11 - and I have struggled with weight issues all my life. Just recently lost 50 pounds (in the last year) but have been slowly edging back up- so, I have got to get it under control - and was also worried about the surgical menopause causing weight gain.
I'm not sure what caused me to lose my appetite. I don't know if it is surgical menopause or the Wellbutrin that I take. Not sure, but I literally am NEVER hungry! I will still make myself eat and I try to eat several times during the day, but it is nothing like it used to be. I don't really think this is a healthy way of losing weight though. Although I am enjoying being ALMOST the same size I was in high school, I also worry about getting all the nutrients that I need. I'm playing around with some shakes and stuff to see which ones taste good so that I can at least give my body the things it needs. This surgery was to make me healthier, so I feel I owe it to myself to do my best in other areas to keep me healthy as well.
Unread 11-02-2011, 04:08 PM

I'm glad I came across this thread. I just lost 25lbs and am going in on Monday Nov7 for my surgery. I have been scared about quickly going backwards. I will now keep doing what I have been doing and if I do go backwards it will be my own fault.
Unread 11-02-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Do we get to count our uterus? Mine's going to be a little hefty with the mass of fibroids I'm incubating.
i think we should be able to count those as a head start
Unread 11-02-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traeleigh View Post
I'm not sure what caused me to lose my appetite. I don't know if it is surgical menopause or the Wellbutrin that I take. Not sure, but I literally am NEVER hungry! I will still make myself eat and I try to eat several times during the day, but it is nothing like it used to be. I don't really think this is a healthy way of losing weight though. Although I am enjoying being ALMOST the same size I was in high school, I also worry about getting all the nutrients that I need. I'm playing around with some shakes and stuff to see which ones taste good so that I can at least give my body the things it needs. This surgery was to make me healthier, so I feel I owe it to myself to do my best in other areas to keep me healthy as well.
Loss of appetite is a side effect of Wellbutrin. I noticed it too and still had it for 2 months after no longer taking it. Finally getting my appetite back now, but still cannot eat as much as I used to....it's a good thing I guess.
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:33 PM

I've gained about 20 pounds. I guess it effects women diffrently! I'm 7 months post op!
Unread 11-03-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLila View Post
Do we get to count our uterus? Mine's going to be a little hefty with the mass of fibroids I'm incubating.
This made me smile. Maybe I'll ask her to weigh mine, it looks like a gumball machine!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register