weight gain or loss following hysterectomy - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

weight gain or loss following hysterectomy weight gain or loss following hysterectomy

Unread 11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Re: weight gain or loss following hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySFC View Post
I am 10 months post ops and I am having the hardest time losing weight. My workout regimin is this....Mondays AM: Fit Maxx which includes cardio and sculpting PM is kickboxing, Tuesdays AM: Core and more class PM: Zumba and sculpting, Wednesday AM: Fit Maxx PM: Cardio Kickboxing, Thursdays AM: Core and more PM: Sculpting, Fridays, 4 mile run, Saturdays Kickboxing and Zumba, Sunday Yoga. All that I am also eating healthy. I am still having a hard time losing weight and the belly fat. DOn't know if it is still swollen or not. This has been my workout regimen for about 3 months now. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
I've been busy at work and will offer a little advise later. Probably tomorrow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2011, 05:33 PM

I am so super glad to hear that there are other ladies out there that are having the same concerns that I am about weight being an issue. I really really need to loose weight too needed to do it a long time before going thru surgery I am going for mine on Monday the 7th and am very worried about gaining and not being able to loose weight afterwards. Any advice that is out there would be most helpful and I am totally down for a weight loss support group... I could really use something like that! If it would be anything like this site I think that it would be wonderful! Has anyone had issues with the surgery itself being overweight.. just tossing that out there looking for advice on that too. I wish all of you ladies lots of success and I will be praying for all of you gals! I will let you all know how mine goes on the 7th! Keep your fingers crossed for me as well.. Hugs
Unread 11-04-2011, 06:25 PM

Wow Keltec I think I just lost weight reading your posting you do so much. Don't be so hard on yourself, sounds like you are amazingly active. Good for you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2011, 12:10 AM
weight gain or loss following hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadie View Post
I really need to lose weight (really, really, really on that), something I was just reading about hysterectomies said there is an average 25lb weight gain in the first year after surgery (no idea where they get that from); and other things I've read talk about difficulty in losing existing weight; that it makes losing much harder etc. For those who have had their surgery, is this your experience? Thanks
Hi Zadie! :-)
My surgery was on October 4th & I lost 18 pounds- part of it was from getting the stomach flu I think. Good luck to you.
Unread 11-05-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats next? View Post
.... Any advice that is out there would be most helpful and I am totally down for a weight loss support group... I could really use something like that! If it would be anything like this site I think that it would be wonderful! ..... Hugs
There are 2 weight loss groups in the Hysteritaville forums - They aren't very active, but we could fix that!

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/forumdisplay.php?f=203
Unread 11-05-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machchic View Post
I have lost 9lbs since surgery. I have maintained keeping it off but as I started to feel better so did my appetite.

So I have spent the past 3 weeks (week 6) walking every waking hour. (3-4 miles a day)

I was not losing weight prior to surgery and it had alot to do with fibroid's, not feeling well etc. I was able to keep my ovaries so I don;t have any hormonal issues yet.

Hardest thing is being home and kitchen be right there.

Eat less, walk.
I agree with you in that it is hard to be home and sitting around resting and recovering and the kitchen and all the food in it is right there. I really have to watch myself that I am not eating out of sheer boredom. I have really been trying to make healthy food choices and although my doctor said I could get out and take fifteen minutes walks I haven't done that yet. I really need to though because I am feeling fat and lethargic. Before surgery I was walking for an hour four or five times a week and now nothing. Big difference there.
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:02 AM

Portion control.

When you start your recovery, you won't be getting as much exercise, so you won't need as many calories. I found that half portions were plenty: one egg instead of two, half a sandwich, half a plate of pasta, half a cupcake... I got to eat what I wanted and what everyone else was having, but I didn't need as much.
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:03 AM

It has been three weeks since my surgery and I have been having a hard time dealing with the whole "Swelly Belly" thing. I can't stand how it looks right now and am ready for it to return to normal. I lost 35 pounds a couple years ago and gained back ten so I am in the process of getting that ten back off again. I lost a couple of pounds and weighed myself this morning and am not a happy camper. I am used to walking an hour four or five times a week and have not been able to really do anything but lay around since surgery. I feel like a FAT cow right now. I can't wait to be able to get out and start walking again and get my metabolism started up.
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKim View Post
This made me smile. Maybe I'll ask her to weigh mine, it looks like a gumball machine!
My OB/GYN said that mine was three times the size of a normal uterus. I should have asked her hoe much it weighed.
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats next? View Post
I am so super glad to hear that there are other ladies out there that are having the same concerns that I am about weight being an issue. I really really need to loose weight too needed to do it a long time before going thru surgery I am going for mine on Monday the 7th and am very worried about gaining and not being able to loose weight afterwards. Any advice that is out there would be most helpful and I am totally down for a weight loss support group... I could really use something like that! If it would be anything like this site I think that it would be wonderful! Has anyone had issues with the surgery itself being overweight.. just tossing that out there looking for advice on that too. I wish all of you ladies lots of success and I will be praying for all of you gals! I will let you all know how mine goes on the 7th! Keep your fingers crossed for me as well.. Hugs
I think that for the time being you need to focus on your recovery and getting well and healthy and worry about the weight issue once you are fully recovered and are able to start being active. I had my surgery three weeks ago and initially really didn't have much of an appetite that first week. I felt bad because friends brought groceries and meals and none of it got eaten. I was fine with yogurt and an apple for breakfast and I found myself snacking throughout the day as opposed to having an entire meal. They say thats better for you anyway and for the most part that is what I try to do. Good luck with your surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register