weight gain or loss following hysterectomy - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

weight gain or loss following hysterectomy weight gain or loss following hysterectomy

Unread 11-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Re: weight gain or loss following hysterectomy

Yeah, I saw that dead thread a while back. I actually accidentally found it.

I think it would be a great idea if it was stickied at the top of the Pre & Post Op threads like the Hints thread.

There seems to be many concerns about weight gain/loss BEFORE & AFTER surgery.

ArmySFC, I'll post in that one instead of jacking this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2011, 07:20 PM

I have a swelly belly before I even get into surgery (remember my gyno 'Captain Obvious' said I was carrying a bit of weight) so I am really not looking forward to it swelling even larger. I can see myself walking around in my nightie for a few months...Now that's attractive.
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:12 PM

I am going in Monday Nov 14th for my hysterectomy, intramural fibroid, very inlarged uterus, cyst on my right overy. I have put on about 40lbs in 6 months. I sure hope I drop some of this weight when this is over!! I have had two c-sections, so my Dr has prepared me I may have to have my uterus surgically removed. Although, I am so done with all of this, I must admit I'm a little scared!! 7 days and counting!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypetal View Post
I am going in Monday Nov 14th for my hysterectomy, intramural fibroid, very inlarged uterus, cyst on my right overy. I have put on about 40lbs in 6 months. I sure hope I drop some of this weight when this is over!! I have had two c-sections, so my Dr has prepared me I may have to have my uterus surgically removed. Although, I am so done with all of this, I must admit I'm a little scared!! 7 days and counting!!
I also had two C-sections but DID NOT have to have my uterus sergically removed. They did it all through my belly button. Much easier recovery that way. Being a little scared is normal and praying that you will breeze right through all of this.
Unread 11-07-2011, 06:13 PM

I had my surgery 4 1/2 months ago and kept both of my ovaries. I lost maybe 5 pounds because of the surgery and have stayed at that same weight. I haven't been trying to change my diet or exercise (although I need to before it starts catching up with me). In other words, I haven't noticed any change in my weight because of surgery. We do need to be careful though, just like anyone else, when we're just sitting around healing not to go off the deep end and fill up with junk - that's so easy to do when you have no choice but to lay around all day. I start snacking out of boredom - that will rack up the pounds faster than any surgery.
Unread 11-07-2011, 06:16 PM

It will be nice to get back to work and to my regular routine of work and school an such because sitting around at home all day everyday is hard with the kitchen right there. Lol I find myself sometimes wanting to eat because I am bored and thats not good.
Unread 11-07-2011, 07:35 PM

I am almost 2 weeks post op for a LAVH and BSO. I am also about 50 lbs overweight and have been worried that a surgical menopause means the end of ever being thin.

This thread is very positive and gives me confidence that the menopause stigma is just that. So with work and support will begin the weighloss journey post meno!!

It doesn't help that my surgery was days before halloween and I am a chocoholic. Don't think this will change but who knows. I was chalk full of fibroids, endo and ovarian cysts. I have suffered from insomnia for at least a decade and have to say since surgery I have been sleeping much better. They say that lack of sleep deprives our bodies of seratonin and the lack of seratonin makes you crave sweets. So maybe once I get back to the gym and longer walks I'll get the metabolism moving again. I too am feeling very lethargic and yucky. One day at a time
Unread 11-07-2011, 08:45 PM

I'm 4 months post op. I'm holding at my pre-op weight and it's edging down. The doc left my ovaries but they haven't kicked back in so I'm on HRT. I must say the change is awesome! I have fewer cravings and feel so much better. I've started in exercising more and am very hopeful that my overall health is improving which will include weight loss. It's nice to be able to exercise without cramping and flooding!
Unread 11-07-2011, 08:51 PM

I am almost three weeks out and I've lost 7-8 lbs. I've lost my ability to eat a normal meal. Just makes me miserable. Right now, at least
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:00 PM

I'm 8 years out from having had my hysterectomy and I have gained weight. When I had mine in November 2003, I weighed 125 pounds, and I now weigh somewhere between 160 and 170. I'm going to start working with a nutritionist in the next couple of weeks. I really want to lose the extra weight I've gained since my hysterectomy 8 years ago.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register