weight gain or loss following hysterectomy - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

weight gain or loss following hysterectomy weight gain or loss following hysterectomy

Unread 11-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Re: weight gain or loss following hysterectomy

I had mine almost 11 months ago. I never have had weight issues. I now am trying to lose 10 lbs. Mostly my fault. I got used to just laying around and then eating junk. Now I am cleaning my diet up and walking 2 to 3 miles a day and have so far lost 2lbs. So just try to keep active and eat a good diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2011, 10:06 PM

Thank you for the information. I'll be sure to use your information as well as the nutritionists information. Maybe between the 3 of us I will lose the weight. Again, thank you for the information.
Unread 11-07-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasister View Post
I am almost 2 weeks post op for a LAVH and BSO. I am also about 50 lbs overweight and have been worried that a surgical menopause means the end of ever being thin.

This thread is very positive and gives me confidence that the menopause stigma is just that. So with work and support will begin the weighloss journey post meno!!

It doesn't help that my surgery was days before halloween and I am a chocoholic. Don't think this will change but who knows. I was chalk full of fibroids, endo and ovarian cysts. I have suffered from insomnia for at least a decade and have to say since surgery I have been sleeping much better. They say that lack of sleep deprives our bodies of seratonin and the lack of seratonin makes you crave sweets. So maybe once I get back to the gym and longer walks I'll get the metabolism moving again. I too am feeling very lethargic and yucky. One day at a time
Don't assme that because you went into "surgical menopause" that you are never going to be thin. I refuse to believe that and just because that might be what you heard or something you have read hear doesn't mean that this will be the case for you. I take everything I read on line with a grain of salt and remind myself that everyone is different and what might have been one persons "experience" doesn't mean it will be the same for you. Ok I am stepping down off my soap box now. Lol
My friend has always told me that ever since her sister had her hysterectomy some fifteen years ago it has been really hard for her to lose weight. Her sister also eats very poorly and NEVER exercises. You do the math. Lol
Glad to hear that you are sleeping better that has to be a great thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2011, 06:39 AM

I was slim to begin with and lost weight post surgery and lost muscle mass too. I do eat more sensibly now and will not eat crap to gain weight. I'm back to the weight of my 20's I chalk it up to hormones.(Kept ovaries)
Unread 11-08-2011, 10:33 AM

Hi Zadie: I too am really really needing to loose weight and worried about the surgery/ and hormone changes impacting weight! I think a weight loss club is an excellent idea! I would love to learn more about the hormone balance and how it affects body weight.
Unread 11-08-2011, 10:43 AM

I am 9 months post-op and have gained about 10 pounds and am very dissappointed in myself. I have increased my exercise and am going to adjust my diet, again. If I can't get it under control, I am going to ask my doctor as hormones, or lack thereof are a common cause of weight gain.
Unread 11-08-2011, 12:33 PM

Hahaha to "Captain Obvious" i needed that laugh! I am 1 week post op and starting to get a little depressed......I lost my appetite to but its only been a week!
Unread 11-08-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill72 View Post
Hahaha to "Captain Obvious" i needed that laugh! I am 1 week post op and starting to get a little depressed......I lost my appetite to but its only been a week!
Glad my Captain Obvious (I now call him DR Obvious but not to his face of course) cheered you up. I hope that you are feeling much better soon and you are right, we all need a laugh now and then.
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:36 PM

well ladies.. I am 2 days post op and not even close to ready to start any sort of exercise or anything but am really worried about gaining weight I am not a small girl to begin with and am worried that now having this surgery done will only make it harder to not gain weight or try to get some of what I have off.. I am all of this weight loss wall maybe we can get help from each other and learn new things to try and do.. best of luck to you ladies.
Unread 11-09-2011, 02:13 PM

What's Next, think of your recovery as a time to get well. I spent that time researching the healthiest foods and looked for recipies and ways to incorporate them into my life. It was agood time to get off the caffiene and start drinking more water. Don't rush or strain yourself too soon, this is an important time to heal. Slow walks are good, but only as you are up to it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register