Back from the oncologist | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back from the oncologist Back from the oncologist

Unread 12-19-2001, 03:11 PM
Back from the oncologist

She was great - I really liked her. My gyn had given us two options - hysterectomy, or get pregnant quick and then hysterectomy immediately following.

The oncologist took C)None of the above. She wants me to have a cone biopsy. She did an exam and said they took tiny sections for the LEEP and she felt that they could get the rest of the cancer with a cone. Of course, this means waiting on pathology again... But I'm feeling much better about it. We had just decided we wanted to have a family...

So, what can I expect from the cone biopsy? I've never even been put under before...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2001, 03:28 PM
Back from the oncologist

(((Gina)))))
So glad your appt. went well. And its great that you like her. Thats certainly one common thread that I have seen here, is that we all really like our oncologists! They are a special breed of doctors for sure.

Well I can't help with your cone question as I didn't have one but I am sure others who have ( and there are several here) will be along shortly. You can also do a site search using the little search button at the top right, and use cone biopsy as your keywords to find past discussions on this as well.

I am so glad that you have been given this option rather than the surgery, and I will keep you in my prayers that this will be all that is needed to rid you of these bad cells Gina!!
It will be a very happy holiday season for you I am sure.

PS: I was never put under either before my hyster, and it really wasn't so bad at all. You feel like you just closed your eyes and opened them right up again within seconds. Its like a blink!!

All the best to you, and keep us posted!!!
Holiday Hugs!!
Maria
Unread 12-19-2001, 04:52 PM
I had a cold knife cone recently

Hi:
On 11/29 I had a cone and it wasn't bad at all. I mostly was scared of the general anesthesia. First I was given a sedative via an IV and I was out in a few minutes. After I was sedated they gave me a gas through a mask. It was a new type of anesthesia from which I experienced no nausea and I was not intubated. When I woke up I was very clear headed and my husband said I had the biggest smile on my face because it was over! In the recovery room I had a little pain and they gave me something in the IV. I had slight cramping for a few days which Motrin took care of. I had a little problem with bleeding a week later when what probably was a scab from the site fell off but it tapered off and now is just a watery discharge which is normal. All the nurses were absolutely wonderful and made the experience as good as it possibly could be.
All the best,
Gayle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2001, 05:03 PM
Back from the oncologist

Gina,
Do you have a date for your cone yet? If so maybe you would post it so I can add it to the calendar so we can post well wishes for ya a day or two before you have it!!
Hugs!
Unread 12-19-2001, 05:51 PM
Back from the oncologist

pualani,

What great news. I'm glad to hear the cone should take care of things.

Isn't is wonderful to like your oncologist. They are upfront, but they can be so reassuring. I felt like I couldn't have found anyone better to do my surgery. This is such a frightening time, and it really helps to have someone you can trust.

Please keep us posted.
Unread 12-19-2001, 06:05 PM
Cone Biopsy

Hi,

I had a cone biopsy on 09/28. I arrived at the hospital one hour prior to procedure. I was under general anesthesia and I was intubated, although I was not aware of the intubation at the time. My procedure took a little longer than normal as I had excessive bleeding. The hematologist thinks it was a "mechanical error", that is, the gyn accidentally cut an artery. I required three units of blood transfusion a week later as I was not healing and I had developed an infection and had to be admitted. I missed two weeks of work instead of one. However, the same problem, excessive bleeding, occurred at my failed hysterectomy on 11/19.

I woke up freezing and in sharp pain. I screamed for pain medication which the nurse gave me as soon as I answered her question about my level of pain (on scale of 1 to 10). I screamed, "Ten!" and she immediately gave me a Vicodin which worked immediately. I had mild cramping for about two days and bleeding/spotting for 2.5 weeks. This is only my experience and I do not mean to scare you. I am the exception. Normally, it is a simple procedure according to my family doctor, the surgeon (who performed my hysterectomy) and the hematologist.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.
Unread 12-19-2001, 10:40 PM
Back from the oncologist

H gina , I didnt have the cone biopsy , I opted for the hyster as my family had finished . I will keep you in my prayers. Much love always
Unread 12-19-2001, 11:26 PM
Hi

Hi Gina-
I am so glad for you. It is such a relief to know that you are in good hands, and your future looks bright!

Going under a general is just like going to sleep one second and waking up the next. You're going to do great! I hope you have the best holiday season. Take Care - RobinS
Unread 12-20-2001, 03:48 AM
Back from the oncologist

What great news to get right at holiday time! The cone is not too bad. The pain (for me) was not bad--I just took Advil and was fine. I felt kind of puny for a few days and took 2 days off of work. Had light bleeding for about 2-1/2 weeks. They do get a much wider piece of tissue with the cone and the margins are sharper so it's easier to tell if they got it all or not. I'm so happy it's an option for you!

Good luck! Let us know when you're going in.
Unread 12-20-2001, 04:48 AM
Back from the oncologist

This is great news considering that you and dh had just decided to start a family. I wish you the best of luck with this!
It's also wonderful that you feel so well taken care of with your doctor! That's so important! Please keep us posted on things!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register