Question on underwear | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question on underwear Question on underwear

Unread 11-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Question on underwear

After surgery, I see some people here have mentioned wearing things like mesh underwear?

I think my questions and concerns are along the line of, how soon after surgery can I wear underwear? how easy is it to put on? what do you wear?

I'm worried that even if they do provide something it won't fit anyway

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Re: Question on underwear

Hi, I wear my usual cotton undies. As long as they are high enough to cover your incision, they should be OK. The cotton is soft, breathes and keeps the area dry too. (no seams up the front like some of the boylegs have though!)
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:51 PM

The mesh panties they give you at the hospital are infinitely stretchable and designed to fit virtually anyone. I wore them and loved them, and even brought several pairs home and wore them while I had the Foley catheter at home (they can be hand washed). I was bleeding quite a bit at first as well, and it was nice to know I wasn't ruining my own panties.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2011, 07:53 PM

thanks ... it helps knowing about the incision and not wanting something to cover that

how soon after the surgery were you able to wear them or did they give you the mesh ones?
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:03 PM

I guess it's different for me because I am in Australia. I wore my own undies at the hospital as soon as I started getting out of bed. They supplied the pads, I took my own undies. Not expensive ones of course, just comfy, soft ones.
Never heard of the mesh ones?
The funniest part is trying to reach your feet to put them on! LOL
I put one foot in then pull them half way up before putting the other foot in. Looking pretty hopeless actually but you find what is easiest!!!
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:09 PM

Yes, in most US hospitals we're given disposable stretchy mesh undies to wear in the hospital. I like how breathable they are and that they stretch so much it's easy to accomodate a catheter tube or whatever else needs to get in and out of there

I agree about trying to bend over to put them on... in the hospital the nurses would crouch down and hold them open for me to just step into. I was fine with that, but it was a bit awkward when I had a male nurse. Fortunately he was very compassionate and professional so in the end it really didn't bother me.

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:10 PM

I wear my own granny panties now. They gave me boy type boxers to wear at the hospital. I'm a big girl and they fit easily, not tight at all. I didn't have problems getting them on, just sat at the side of the bed and did a foot at a time.
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:19 PM

I wore a dress home so I didn't wear any. Besides, I didn't have any post op discharge and felt like I needed to air things out.
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Another question I thought about! I usually wear a thong so I guess I need to add panties to my list of things to get this weekend!
Unread 11-02-2011, 09:04 PM

I live in Canada and I got the mesh panties in the hospital too. I saved them and tossed them in the wash and wore them whenever I had to go out (usually to the doctor's). They were the only thing stretchy and comfy enough for me to tolerate.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register