phones and visitors after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

phones and visitors after surgery phones and visitors after surgery

Unread 11-06-2011, 12:57 AM
phones and visitors after surgery

I'm being asked about phoning people after surgery and about when people can visit... what did people find was best for those who have had their surgery? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2011, 01:41 AM
Re: phones and visitors after surgery

I think it would mostly depend on how you are feeling and how extensive the surgery is. If your dr has to do a abdominal hysterectomy you probably won't feel much like having visitors in the hospital for the first day or two. And you sure don't want to have to feel like you need to entertain people who come to visit you at home. I would also say that anyone who is feeling a cold or anything coming on should stay away so you don't catch anything right after your surgery. Take care of YOU first.
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:37 AM

I agree with Julie, it will depend on how you feel. I didn't want any visitors other than my hubby, because I didn't want to feel like I had to entertain someone. You don't know how you are going to feel. But I did have my phone and made all kind of calls after my surgery and was released the following afternoon. I had a TAH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2011, 06:11 AM

i'm going to be there 5-6 days; so there will be time for visitors later, just wondered how to answer them and also how to handle people wanting calls the next day when i don't know if i'll be awake or not thanks
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:25 AM

I would set up someone to call your friends and family to let them know how surgery went. That way you or your husband will only have to make one call but everyone can know you're ok.

I would tell people I probably won't be good company for a few days and since I want to enjoy their visit can they wait until they get a call about visiting. I know when I don't feel good I don't want company. This way you control when they visit.
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:39 AM

I gave my mom and husband a list of people to call when I got out of surgery. When I was done and in my hospital room, I turned my cell phone on but left it on silent- no vibrate either- and kept it in reach. That was a great way to follow up with people when I was ready but to not be interrupted from anything... napping, etc.

I discouraged people from visiting the hospital and asked them to call before visiting me at home.

Good luck to you!
Unread 11-06-2011, 11:15 AM

It is very much an individual preference and how you feel about visitors. The one note I would make is that I could not sit very long. With my good friends I just lay down and they entertained themselves until I woke back up. However, for formal visitors, I would tell them up front that you may tire easily and cannot sit very long. Then make sure you have the words ready to tell visitors it's time for them to go. Having said that, I did enjoy having visitors. I live alone and it was nice to have the company. I also had friends offer to drive me on short errands, so it was a nice combination of social visit and needed supplies.

I would agree with the warning of no sick visitors. You don't want to be sneezing with an incision. I would also agree with the don't visit without calling ahead rule. Finally, I would also agree with having someone else run the phone tree. You may be very tired and/or slightly out of it on painkillers. Nominate someone to be in charge of letting folks know how the surgery went.
Unread 11-06-2011, 12:07 PM

I didn't want visitors hovering over me. I told EVERYONE ahead of time, that I didn't want visitors. I gave no excuses. Its my surgery and my health and its my decision to not have to entertain people.
I wasn't having a dang tonsilectomy or gallbladder surgery, I was having TAH......a major surgery. I didn't care if I hurt anyone's feelings.

I did give the nurses specific instructions to restrict visitors (just in case no one took me seriously).

I told everyone the same thing for visitors when I got home. Everyone complied and I was very relieved to not have to deal with people while I was recovering.

I had TAH and honestly, I didn't feel like even talking right after surgery. It made my stomach hurt. I was on morphine, demerol, tramadol & percocet. I slept mostly. I did shower and walk around a little but went right back to bed and slept more.

I didn't even feel like talking for a good 2 weeks. I wasn't in that much pain, but it was very uncomfortable.
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:25 PM

Texting worked great for me. There were a few people I wanted to check-in with and texting made it quick. Also, throughout that first day it was nice to get messages from well wishers that I really didn't need to talk to but could say a few words in reply to let them know I appreciated their note.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register