Scheduled TVH Sugery Moved up! 2 day to go!SCARED! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sugery Moved up! 2 day to go!SCARED! Sugery Moved up! 2 day to go!SCARED!

Unread 11-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Sugery Moved up! 2 day to go!SCARED!

I've read my Hyster Sister Book, Booklet and dozens of threads on this site, BUT now that my surgery is moved up to TUESDAY! I feel scared and like Im not ready.I apperciate all the kind words and advice I have recieved here. But trying to get through these last days seems so hard. Anyone have any ideas on how to RELAX and calm my fears???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Re: Sugery Moved up! 2 day to go!SCARED!

Hi Blondie. I am also scheduled for November 8th. I understand what you are saying about being scared even though you feel that you are completely educated and prepared for surgery. I have been doing everything I can to distract myself but it isn't working very well. I am going to go grocery shopping today and clean my house top to bottom (again lol). I guess no matter how much we try we are going to have A LOT of worries. I just keep telling myself that I will have the best care in the hospital and at home and the pain will finally stop. Hang in there. I will look for you on our post-op forum. Hugs from me to you
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:19 AM

I know how you feel. Some things that helped me were keeping lists: one for things I had to get done, another for questions to ask my doctor. It helped me feel like I wasn't forgetting anything, although sometimes it was hard to go to sleep before my surgery because all the "to-do" stuff was racing through my head.

It might help to make a list of last-minute questions and get your doctor or nurses to answer them on Monday. Also if you let them know you are having a lot of anxiety, they may be able to prescribe something to relax you these few days before surgery. Several ladies on here have mentioned that that really helped them.

See if you can get anyone to help you with undone tasks before your surgery. Maybe even hire someone to clean for you as that takes a lot of time and energy but it is *so nice* to recover in a clean house!

Also look at your list and prioritize: what are the most important things to get done? And focus on them.

I had to do that when I realized I wouldn't get everything done and started to panic. Some things didn't get done. And that was OK.

Sharing your fears with friends and loved ones might really help too. I also just plain told myself, it will be OK, everything will work out OK, getting upset will not help me now. Easier said than done, I know.

Good luck, you will be OK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2011, 09:33 AM

I know how you feel. I was a nervous wreck. That's perfectly normal! You can never be really ready for surgery but just know you are having it because you need it. I would say to try and keep busy the next couple of days. Do things that make you happy. Be around people and don't read about other people's hyster problems....there are many good outcomes too!! When I got to the hospital and talked to the anesthesiologist and my Dr. I calmed down and felt much better about everything. Best wishes...you'll be fine!!! See you on the post-op side!!
Unread 11-06-2011, 12:34 PM

I'm just 4 days post up. Tom Petty is right, the waiting IS the hardest part. I think dee2827 has a great piece of advice, don't read about other people's problems on here, as much as you can help it. This site has helped me immensely, but I also found myself getting all freaked out reading about everyone's problems. (I found that I was able to read them all, combine them all, and then imagine that every single problem I read was one I was gonna have to deal with). Don't do that, just know that after you go into the castle, you'll come out on the other side on the road to recover. It won't be long now. Going in for surgery sooner only means feeling better and having this behind you sooner. Sending all good mojo from the other side. See ya soon! <3
Unread 11-07-2011, 07:44 AM

THank YOU SO MUCH Ladies! I've done the lists, got my room ready, moved my bed into the living room because there are too may steps upstairs. i've been having a lot of pain for awhile so my hubby has been cleaning , cooking, and doing laundry. he is also taking a couple of weeks off to take care of me. So Im all set as far as care goes. And my DR is wonderful. I guess my only fears are about actually being "put out" . I had a hard time coming out of it, during my last surgery. I woke up but wasn't completly with it for 4 hrs! i just didn't like that feeling. All your kind words really do help. And just knowing sooo many women have done this and feel better than they ever have is comforting and motivating! So thank you all! And to the ladies in waiting..... I will let you know "My Story" soon!! Good Luck!
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:05 AM

Blondie, you are exactly, perfectly normal. I'm sure we all felt the same prior to the big H. Surgery is scary. How I dealt with it was to just think about the IV. That's really the worst part. Once your IV is started, you'll get something to take the edge off then you can relax and start to think if how great it will be to not have to deal with everything that brought you to this point. Also, talk with your surgeon and the anesthesiologist about your previous experiences and your fears so they can get your perfect dosing of drugs. I know you'll be fine. See you on the post op side!
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:09 AM

Good Luck!! You are going to be fine!!! Hugs and prayers your way
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:25 AM

Ladies,I am 4 months post op today.Prior to my TVH I was in constant pain from the adenomyosis.I was 27 when I had my hysterectomy.I knew I needed it done 5 years ago but no doctor was willing to perform it due to my age.I was on pain meds on a daily basis for about 7 years.I am immune to most pain meds due to that.

The day of my hysterectomy I was scheduled for noon.I really didn't get nervous until they started hooking up the IV.The nurse put "happy drugs" as she called it and within a few minutes the nervousness went away.I had a 24 hour hospital stay.Only took 2 pain pills the day of surgery.My doctor and nurses were all shocked by that.

Within 2 weeks I was back to walking 2-3 miles per day.I feel great now other than some joint pain which we're thinking is associated with the Depo shots I was on for so long.The waiting for me was the hardest part.Recovery was kind of a breeze.

I wish you ladies the best with your upcomming surgeries and a speedy recovery.
Unread 11-07-2011, 10:13 AM

Jenn231983, so glad to read your post! I'm glad you're pain free and doing well!

I'm hoping to be like you and be walking 2/3 miles two weeks after surgery! I know we are all different, but I've been walking at least 3/4 miles daily, and I hope to be back to work with two weeks. I may be unrealistic, but I want to be positive!

I love reading stories such as yours!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register