PCP disagrees with GYN | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PCP disagrees with GYN PCP disagrees with GYN

Unread 12-20-2001, 07:32 AM
PCP disagrees with GYN

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading the posts now for quite some time and have gathered quite a bit of information on whether to keep the cervix or remove it. I've also done a little research on my own and after much thought, I requested that my cervix not be removed. My Gynocologist had originally planned to remove it but has now agreed to keep it, which shocked me. I thought since I had had dysplasia in the past that he would put up a fight, but he didn't.

Last week, I went for my pre-op physical with my Primary Care Physician and he could not understand why the cervix is not be removed. He said that based on my history of having dysplasia and my age (42), I should strongly reconsider. He also said "If you were my wife, I would have everything removed". Uterus, cervix, and ovaries. This has left me a little hesistant . Should I follow his recommendation and completely clean house? or should I opt for a more conservative approach and keep as many parts as I can?

Luisa

Myomectomy for 11 fibroids of various sizes 1992. Scheduled TAH 27 December for very large fibroids (16 week size uterus).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2001, 12:30 PM
PCP disagrees with GYN

I guess I don't understand why you want to keep it so bad?

Are you having a vaginal or an abdominal hyst?

dlr
Unread 12-20-2001, 12:59 PM
PCP disagrees with GYN

Luisa,
Is there any reason you want to hang onto your cervix? I sure wouldn't want to after having dysplasia. I'm quite shocked your gyn would agree to keep it. I wouldn't mess around and take any chances!!

Debbie :dragon:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2001, 01:09 PM
PCP disagrees with OB/GYN

Luisa: I also am schedule to have a sub-total/supracervical abdominal hysterectomy on January 31, 2002. Like you, I did a lot, and I mean a lot, of research on the various options. I decided to have a sub-total hysterectomy (leaving my ovaries and cervix) because I wanted the least invasive/radical procedure to remove my fibroids. There is no indication or history of cancer and I do not mind getting regular pap smears, etc. I am 42 and my OB/GYN has said my ovaries are healthy and should produce hormones for some eight to ten years. She is also supportive of my decision to keep both my ovaries and cervix. I do not plan to have more children, but am not ready to go into surgically induced menopause. It was a decision I came to after weighing the opinions of physicians, family and friends. I also have read numerous posts on this site and others dealing with the various types of hysterectomy surgery.

Whether to remove your ovaries, cervix is a very personal choice best made in conjunction with information from your OB/GYN and your primary physician. However, the final decision is yours. I have a physician friend whose suggestion was to "just let them take out everything while they are there." However, I felt differently and, while I genuinely appreciated his advice and perspective, I did not share it. And, of course, since I was the one who was going to have to ultimately live with the decision, thought long and hard about what I felt comfortable with and what I did not feel comfortable with. Surgery, whether a hysterectomy,myomectomy, etc., when it can be elective, is still a big decision and very particular to the individual. I would encourage to talk more with both your OB/GYN and your PCP and then weigh their opinions, keeping in mind your beliefs, feelings and lifestyle.

I have multiple fibroids with heavy monthly bleeding. If I do not take iron supplements every day, I become very anemic, very quickly. I also have significant cramping each month. Eight years ago, I had a myomectomy to remove fibroids, but they have returned. I have given months of thought to what treatment I felt most comfortable with along with my desire to ensure as best I could that the fibroids did not return.

I hope this helps and am sending well wishes to you.

Alabelle
Unread 12-20-2001, 01:11 PM
PCP disagrees with GYN

My personal opinion is that I would have the cervix removed. Now I'm not sure about the ovaries. I might opt to keep them IF they are healthy. Have you had problems at all with them?

Sherry
Unread 12-20-2001, 01:14 PM
PCP disagrees with GYN

Luisa: As others have suggested on another thread, if possible, you may want to consider a second or even third opinion. If not, then certainly consider talking more with your GYN and PCP about their opinions, why, the various risks, etc.
Unread 12-20-2001, 02:16 PM
PCP disagrees with GYN

Dear Luisa,

I think what and what not to keep is one of the more confounding issues we face when having a hysterectomy. And what I am about to pass is on will not clarify anything, in fact maybe even make it more confusing.

I want to keep my ovaries and my cervix and my doc (on Monday) told me that with respect to the cervix, he prefers removing it since the surgeon can not always tell where the uterus ends and the cervix begins. He said if some uterine tissue is left in, it is possible to continue having periods! He also said that he doesn't buy the argument that the cervix is necessary for pelvic floor support. Last, he said fibroids can continue to grow on the cervix.

He admitted that certain women's sexual pleasure changes when the cervix is removed and he is certainly willing to leave mine in, but he wants me to think about it.

As to the ovaries, he doesn't care unless they look unhealthy.

So good luck with your decision. I have three weeks to make my decision and I will probably take the doctor's advice.

Kate
Unread 12-20-2001, 06:44 PM
PCP disagrees with GYN

Thank you so much for all of your replies. It has helped me alot. I think the reason I am so against the removal of my cervix is that it is attached to the vaginal wall structure which is a very muscular, metabolically active, piece of the female anatomy.

Based on everything I've read, it is less intrusive and less invasive to just remove the uterus and not the cervix. Any damage to the muscles of the vaginal canal, IMO and my Gyn's opinion, will have some impact in the normal function of the vagina during sex and can delay the recovery period.

Just because I had dysplasia in the past does not mean I will have it in subsequent tests and cervical cancer does not run in my family. My last pap smear was normal. In addition, based on everything I've read, the cervix does produce extra lubrication during sex.

Maybe I'm just kidding myself, but I am trying to be as possitive as I can. I am just taking things as they come and hoping for the best.

If I'm wrong, then I guess I will have to deal with things when they happen, if they happen, but for now, I want the least trauma to my body as possible. What do you think?

Thanks for being there for me. It really helps to know there are other sisters going through the same.

Luisa

Myomectomy for 11 fibroids of various sizes 1992. Scheduled TAH 27 December for very large fibroids (16 week size uterus).
Unread 12-20-2001, 09:27 PM
PCP disagrees with GYN

Dear Luisa:

I kept my cervix and am glad that I did. I have had no spotting and have not had the vaginal cuff issues that so many sisters who have their cervix removed have had. Additionally, I don't believe I had as many stitches to heal as those who had the cervix removed. My DH and I have had very normal "relations" since being able to resume them. While I did opt to have the ovaries out I did keep the cervix and am darn glad I did! Your decision needs to be based on your own personal needs but I wanted to throw in my two cents worth

Betty
Unread 01-07-2002, 02:42 PM
PCP disagrees with GYN

they took my cervix with everything else. what kind of problems are you all talking about.
12/31/01 hysto
thanks for replying.
dlr

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register