Scheduled TVH Pre-op today, Surgery Thursday. NO Bowel Prep or... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op today, Surgery Thursday. NO Bowel Prep or... Pre-op today, Surgery Thursday. NO Bowel Prep or...

Unread 11-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Pre-op today, Surgery Thursday. NO Bowel Prep or...

No food restrictions, no bowel prep. (I do have to be NPO after midnight) but, they're trying to get my surgery scheduled for first thing Thursday morning. I'm really scared and yet excited, too!!
The other day, the doctor was pretty adamant that I needed to have something done, now, but today he said "Well, if you told me that you wanted to wait a couple weeks, I wouldn't worry about it. The cells you have may take a couple of months to a couple of years to turn cancerous.."
So...hubby is rethinking this..but, now we've paid for all the pre-op and signed all the papers and I'm anxiously waiting my soon-to-be future of "No Periods!!"

Anyway: No bowel prep...No shaving...No liquid diet...
Oh, and I will be in the hospital for 2-3 days after my surgery (due to a previous condition they want to watch out for)

So...now, I am left to worry about what to pack and what to leave home!! I'm trying to view this as a "mini-vacation" and think that I will have room service and an adjustable bed Maybe I'll get lucky enough to get a Get Well Soon card or flowers lol

Anyone else?? Or am I alone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Re: Pre-op today, Surgery Thursday. NO Bowel Prep or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmev View Post
No food restrictions, no bowel prep. (I do have to be NPO after midnight) but, they're trying to get my surgery scheduled for first thing Thursday morning. I'm really scared and yet excited, too!!
The other day, the doctor was pretty adamant that I needed to have something done, now, but today he said "Well, if you told me that you wanted to wait a couple weeks, I wouldn't worry about it. The cells you have may take a couple of months to a couple of years to turn cancerous.."
So...hubby is rethinking this..but, now we've paid for all the pre-op and signed all the papers and I'm anxiously waiting my soon-to-be future of "No Periods!!"

Oh, and I will be in the hospital for 2-3 days after my surgery (due to a previous condition they want to watch out for)

So...now, I am left to worry about what to pack and what to leave home!! I'm trying to view this as a "mini-vacation" and think that I will have room service and an adjustable bed Maybe I'll get lucky enough to get a Get Well Soon card or flowers lol

I felt really good being able to wash my face in the hospital, ....so you might bring along your cleansing products. As well as toothpaste/floss, etc...

I brought a pillow from home and a throw blanket. Was very glad to have them.

Brought along panties that were 1 size too large. Could have bought them 2 sizes too large, because they almost were tight! Lots of swelling.
Unread 11-07-2011, 10:07 PM

No you are not alone. I am set up for Thursday as well but I cannot eat after breakfast on Wednesday and I do have to do bowel prep. Not too big a deal, I've had to do it in past for colonoscopy. I wish surgery were tomorrow. The wait is killing me and I admit that I am nervous. Never had surgery before!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2011, 05:57 AM

My surgery is Friday. I don't have a bowl prep either. I am going to bring slippers, my face stuff, my pillow and my favorite throw, undies and a book. Good luck!
Unread 11-08-2011, 09:48 AM

My surgery is November 21 and like you, no bowel prep, no liquid diet etc, so all good. I've taken note of everyone's suggestions as to what will be of comfort for my 5 days in hospital. Good luck on 10th x
Unread 11-08-2011, 10:21 AM

My best suggestion is not necessarily for the hospital, but for when you get home. Make sure you have everything you could possibly need in one container waist high. That way you don't have to try to search, and inevitably bend over to get something you need. I put a plastic bin on top of an ice chest in my laundry room. It had stool softners, binders, extra nightgowns and panties, Ibuprophen, all the necessities.
I really didn't use much of what I packed for the actual hospital as I didn't want "stuff" to get on them. toothbrush and toothpaste though for sure. They took my pillow as I needed a more firm one for the "coughing" and they gave me nice nonslip socks, and trust me, you won't want to have your own nightgown on there at least until you are unhooked from all the tubes and wires.

My TAH was about 9 months ago now and it was so worth it! I had a few post-op complications, but pain was not one of them.

Best of luck to you!
Unread 11-08-2011, 10:26 AM

I know I am now starting to get nervous I am scheduled to go in at 10:30 this morning, Was okay when I sent the kids to school, but then my hubby starts talking to me about being scared and lucky he walked away before the tears started to come, then I realized i am scared, glad to be getting this done though. My doctor didnt do a bowel cleanser, shave or anything else except not food after midnight. I wiah you well, I have to pack my bags lol
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmev View Post

Nope , you are not alone . I swear I am close to strangling people who say platitudes like "you have been sterile for years" and "think of it , no pain" like these are things I haven't thought of.
I am sure it will go great, and the sensible voice in my head is all for this op, but the little voice at the back is close to tears all the time right now and really worried.
You go in on the same day as me, and I vote we post after its over to say phew and probably ow. I'm in uk and have no bowel prep, thursday afternoon is my scheduled time, good luck xxxx
Oh btw, I'm also seeing the hospital as a mini hotel break, and hoping for some nice presents xxx
Unread 11-08-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hb943 View Post
Oh btw, I'm also seeing the hospital as a mini hotel break, and hoping for some nice presents xxx
I'm thinking of putting a sign on the door that reads "Admission requires flowers, cards or something pretty" LOL, I wonder if I could get away with it?
Unread 11-09-2011, 11:14 AM

[quote=theycallmev;3614994]I'm thinking of putting a sign on the door that reads "Admission requires flowers, cards or something pretty" LOL, I wonder if I could get away with it?[/QUOTE
Lmfao, that's a very good idea. I have spent today at my allotment putting it all in order before abandoning it for the recovery time.
Am getting very nervous now and can't sit still. How's your day going?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register