Scheduled TAH Newbie!!! Looking for ideals | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie!!! Looking for ideals Newbie!!! Looking for ideals

Unread 11-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Newbie!!! Looking for ideals

Hello all, I just had my 39th bday on 11/4 and found out on 11/3 that i have to have a tah on nov.30th

need ideals on what i will need these first few weeks home. I also have a 4 yr old daughter. I was looking @ your ideals for a party. but i dont have a lot of friends cause im new to NC... please share
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Re: Newbie!!! Looking for ideals

Welcome! Some things I found helpful right after my surgery: heating pad (a absolute lifesaver and I still use it every day), gas x (you will be gassy after surgery and it gets painful), Miralax (to help get your bowels moving post op), lots of meals in the freezer and clean your house very well before your surgery (because you won't be able to do housework for a few weeks). Do you have help lined up for your 4 year old? I would buy some new stories and DVDs to read/watch with her after surgery. That way you can spend one on one time with her without exerting yourself. Keep in mind you won't be able to pick her up for a while. Wishing you the best.
Unread 11-07-2011, 08:41 PM

Sugarandspice is right on! A meal plan and prepared meals will be so helpful. I know it sounds crazy, but the "grabber"- the crazy thing that helps to reach stuff up high or on the floor (often used by older folks) is the best $10 dollars ever spent. For a while you won't care about stuff on the floor, but ... It saved my sanity. I have joked that being at home for recovery is somewhat of solitary confinement. Be careful not to do too much as it can be difficult. Having things you will need moved to counter height so you don't need to reach or bend is helpful as well. Best wishes and good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2011, 08:50 PM

to HysterSisters!

Here is a must have list for recovery compiled by some of the women on this site. For me, I needed:
-a pillow to protect me from unexpected cat jumps to the lap and for sneeze/cough support;
-books, tv remote, dvds for entertainment;
-comfy loose fitting clothes (your belly will be swollen and sore for some time);
-slippers;

BEWARE: You will need help with the household chores (cooking, dishes, cleaning, shopping) as well as taking care of your daughter. You will be VERY tired post-op. Showering and getting yourself to the couch will be an accomplishment for the first few weeks. You will have lifting restrictions (probably no more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks) , driving restrictions, and activity restrictions.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery....

(((HUGS)))
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:02 PM

thank u all so much do i need to buy a panty girdle or something or do they send u home with a wrap for belly?
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:04 PM

Coloring books and arts and crafts like loop-weaving are good bed-top activities for little ones, if she likes to do crafts. My daughter was 4 when I had knee surgery and she loved to be my nurse. She could get me an apple or a bottle of water, and she could bring me the phone if I needed it, and hand me things I couldn't pick up. She's still proud of being my little helper when I was sick and looking forward to taking care of me again.
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtkay View Post
thank u all so much do i need to buy a panty girdle or something or do they send u home with a wrap for belly?
Didn't get sent home with anything to wrap around my belly. I couldn't handle anything at all touching my tummy except the heating pad or my nightgown anyway. My tummy was so sensitive and I had my surgery vaginally. I just recently have been able to ride in the car without holding the seatbelt away from my belly.
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:14 PM

I did not get sent home with a belly wrap. They do sell them on this site, but I never used one. It is a personal choice.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register