TAH...getting up at first | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH...getting up at first TAH...getting up at first

Unread 11-07-2011, 08:39 PM
TAH...getting up at first

As my surgery gets closer, I keep thinking of weird things. I recall that getting from gurney to bed was really hard. Does anyone have a tested way to move without ridiculous pain? Advice for getting to a standing position?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Re: TAH...getting up at first

Getting from gurney to bed - I was still mostly asleep when the nurses handled this one for me.

Getting to a standing position - what worked for me was first rolling onto my side facing the direction I wanted to go in, then swinging my legs off the edge of the bed and pushing myself up using the arm on the side against the bed. That method does not use the abs at all.

I didn't find the pain 'ridiculous' at any time. Even so, the nurses were always around and offering a hand, elbow, shoulder etc for me to grab/lean on. They really made it easy.

Good luck with your surgery!

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-08-2011, 05:54 AM

From the gurney to the bed? Aren't there nurses to do that? Are you not back into your bed in the recovery room? I can't remember from having the kids, it seems so long ago.

I do remember getting out of bed though and the first time was a doozy. When I had my first child, the nurse told me to lay on my side, swing my legs over and I used her to get up. The second time I made the back of my hospital bed go all the way up, swung over my legs and made them bring me a walker so I could use that to push up on. I also had a walker at home just so I could use it to push up on to get up from bed or the chair. Walking wasn't as bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2011, 10:06 AM

My TAH was about 9 months ago. I used my elbows and feet to scoot across. I really didn't feel much. During surgery, they usually give a local into the incision area and put pain meds in the IV when you are waking up. I also had an On Q pain pump insterted into my incision and that helped immensly. Keeping myself from getting tangled in all the tubes and wires was more of a challenge then the pain.

My surgery was at 9 or so and I was up that afternoon walking. I put the bed all the way upright, manuvered my elbows under me, carefully got the legs over the side of the bed, pushed the rest of the way up from my elbows to my hands and circled around. The nurses were there, but I did not need assistance.

Remember to take deep breaths, look up at the ceiling, move very slowly and if there is pain, stop, take a breath and try to reposition.

I was terrified about all of this and honestly, nothing was out of control. I even had a vertical incision and managed with relative ease.
Unread 11-08-2011, 04:04 PM

When I woke up in recovery, I was already in the bed that I was going to be in for my hospital stay, aleady hooked up to the PDA pump, catheter in, etc.
Then I got wheeled to the lift/elevator and taken up to the gyne ward (and my own single room - oh, bliss!)
I was shown how to get out of bed the first time - I'm sure you will be, too.
Unread 11-08-2011, 04:40 PM

Surferbabe's method sounds like a winner to me.

My biggest concern is when I get home. We are going to put the beb and sofa up on blocks so I don't have to sit 'down' onto them - hip height has been mentioned as optimal.

Also, someone else mentioned taking a deep breath and blowing out as you sit up as a technique.

I have a walking stick I have had for years. I bought a cane tip for it to give it grip and I plan to use that as added support when getting up from a sitting position.
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:12 PM

With both csections I was made to move myself from gurney to bed, so I assumed it would work that way again. I like the idea of waking up all comfy in my brd, but I'm not going to count on it. Thanks for tips that I am trying to memorize.
Unread 11-09-2011, 12:56 AM

For getting out of bed at home, I got the Bedside Mighty Rail transfer handle made by Sander. I got it for $50 at Walgreens (US drugstore). It is a metal rail that hooks under the matress. If you do a websearch for bed transfer handle, you should find an number of options. I found it to be extremely handy, and mine folds up for storage when I'm done using it. For getting in and out of chairs, I bought several canes from Goodwill (US used good store). I left one in the bathroom, one by my chair, and carried the other one with me. Used, they were only $3-4 each.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register