Going Home Day of Surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going Home Day of Surgery? Going Home Day of Surgery?

Unread 11-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Going Home Day of Surgery?

My doc tells me I will go home the afternoon of my LSH unless I have an unexpected complication. (surg is 7:30 am) I think the only requirement to discharge me will be if I can stand up, and if I can urinate. I was a bit startled at this wondering if I will be ready to go it "alone". My DH will be home w/me but does not exactly have a nursing instinct besides "can I get you anything". Are others expecting this "in and out" surgery as well? What has your doc told you? Thanks for the information!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Re: Going Home Day of Surgery?

My doc is hoping for outpatient. I want to spend the night in the hospital personally, and have no problem telling the nursing staff such. I know some women do go home outpatient, and have no issues - but I understand your hesitancy in heading home that quickly.
Unread 11-08-2011, 02:59 PM

thanks for your quick reply, I am sched the day before you and feel the same way - think I would feel a little more confident if they "watched me" for a day. maybe i will have a chance to press for that as well, heck that's what we pay all this insurance money for anyway!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2011, 04:29 PM

Hi, I am new here! I have the same concerns. My LSH is scheduled for 12/1 and I believe the surgery time is 1pm.
My Dr. said it is an out-patient procedure but wait to see how I feel. I personally feel that we should stay at least one night in case if we should need something. Leaving a few hours after surgery scares me.

Sue
Unread 11-08-2011, 04:44 PM

I am also having the LSH with BSO, and I am staying over night.
Unread 11-08-2011, 04:46 PM

Hi ladies!
I had the davinci, and it was at 7:30am.......when I finally woke up enough to talk, it was just after 11. The first thing they asked me was if I wanted them to call my husband in to take me home. Through my heavy drug haze, I asked, "Are you crazy?". Lol......

I didn't know who I was or where I was!!! Lol..... I was afraid to go home, to be honest. I didn't know what to expect. I'm glad I stayed. It turned out that they gave me great pain killers throughout the day and night. Also, I had a lot of trouble going to the bathroom. (urine.....forget about a bm.....). Lol.... I was told that if I didn't "pee" by 8pm then they were going to scan my bladder. Eventually, I ended up going on my own, thank God, but what if I couldn't??!?

My advice to you, is to contact your insurance company now. Ask if an overnight stay is covered if it's needed for your particular procedure. I highly recommend staying if you are able to!

Don't stress!! The worst part of this entire ordeal is the recovery and not being able to do anything!!

Good luck and let us know how you make out!!!!
Unread 11-08-2011, 04:47 PM

I was told that my surgery was to be outpatient, with no more than 23 hours in the hospital.

Arrived at 430am.
Surgery was 7am.

In room by 12 noon.

Discharged the following day at 230pm.

Not sure when they started the 23 hours, but probably when I was checked into a room.
There were no complications.

Even so, I was in the room for about 26 hours.

I thought I was coming home a little soon, but looking back now..... the schedule was fine.

No way I could have been discharged that afternoon.
We didn't get the pain meds situated until the late morning, 24 hours after the surgery.
Unread 11-08-2011, 04:58 PM

Thanks ladies. I had rotator cuff surgery five ish years ago and could not pee for quite a while, so that is part of my anxiety. I did come home that evening, but it was very late and I was in a haze. Good hint to call insurance company....
Unread 11-08-2011, 05:31 PM

my surgery is Davinci and with my insurance it is 23 hr observation,I think the 23 hrs starts at post op if im not mistaken, but if complications should arise,all they have to do is contact the insurance company,
I just got the approval from insurance today, 3 weeks to go
Unread 11-08-2011, 05:55 PM

I had a TLH 50hrs ago. I would have been okay coming home 12 hours after going into surgery (which was at 7:30am) - but the surgeon wanted me kept in cos they messed up my blood glucose control during theatre and that had made me terribly dehydrated, so I needed a saline drip for 18 hours.
All I did in hospital for the night was not sleep properlky and be woken by nurses alarms and my drip machine alarming. I couldn't wait to get home and was released 26hrs after I went into theatre.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register