Scheduled TLH I need some guidance | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need some guidance I need some guidance

Unread 11-10-2011, 07:03 AM
I need some guidance

hello all ( again)

Im hoping for some guidance from you ladies, Her eis my problem. I have my surgery scheduled for Nov 29th. I was leaning towards a TAH , but DH wanted me to have a TLH.
Of course the surgeon gave his best pitch for the DaVinci and laprascopy. Even tho I was leaning towards TAH, I gave in for the TLH. I have my pre-op consult with the surgeon today to sign consrnt forms etc. , but I havent been able to make peace withthe Laprascopic method. Is it possible to change my mind so late in the game? ( insurance has already ok'd the TLH) and should I even bother changing it? I just can't seem to shake the feeling I should go with the abdominal method..

Can anyone help me please?

Thank you, Lorri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2011, 07:11 AM
Re: I need some guidance

I am pretty sure that you could ask about changing it but they would probably have to get insurance ok. There are a lot of benefits to the lap method. It is perfectly safe and even better in so many ways. Years ago I had to have my gallbladder out and we weren't sure if they would have to do it abdominally. Luckily,we did it in the knick of time and was able to have it done by lap. The healing time, infection risk was much lower. If your doc does the lap procedure, I would go with it. There are so many people here who can't have it done laproscopically and want it done that way. I really wouldn't want it done abdominally unless necessary. Is there a reason you are worried about the lap procedure?/ maybe that would give me some input to answer your questions and fears. Hope that this helps. Sending big hugs to you.
Unread 11-10-2011, 09:18 AM

Ditto Zenyatta5. If I could have a TLH or DvH, I would do it in a heartbeat! Fewer post-op complications and faster recovery.

You didn't say why you prefer the idea of TAH over TLH. If you could explain that, maybe we could better calm your fears.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2011, 01:31 PM

I agree with both ladies who have answered you already. I have had both done. The first time I had the bikini cut...from hip to hip...because of a large cyst that could not be safely removed laprascopically. I had my hyster laprascopically on Monday and my incisions are doing great! I was so relieved they didn't have to cut me again.
I'm also waiting to see your response as to why you would prefer the TAH
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:44 PM

Hello!
Any kind of surgery is full of hard decisions. I actually see your concern. I am scheduled for LAVH, but am considering asking for TAH.
I have had lap surgery and C-sections (and I understand all surgeries are different) but there are a couple reasons I'm weary of the LAVH. The first is that with my last lap surgery my incisions were actually very sore and black and blue and the gas pain was horrendous! I know that TAH has a large incision but I feel some comfort with the familiarity of it. Also, with lap there is a chance they may have to switch to TAH anyway.
In the end, it's completely up to you. I think either way you will worry some. Maybe just bring it up to the doctor again and maybe he can ease your mind. Or maybe you would feel better if your doctor could explain the dvH procedure again. And no matter what way you go, the positive thing to keep in mind is that afterwards you will most likely feel much better!
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:54 PM

Thank you ladies for responding. My initial fear about the TLH was that the surgeon wasnt going to be able to see everything..and I had misunderstood how the removal of my cervix,uterus, overies and tubes were going to come out. I was under the assumption they would be cut up and removed thru a tube.. but after speaking with my surgeon, I am so much more at ease. Everything will be removed vaginally and the scope actually gives him a great view. So I have made my peace with the TLH, knowing its the right choice for me

Hugs to you ladies!
Unread 11-10-2011, 05:42 PM

Accd to the literature I've seen, doctors can actually see better with the scope because the camera can magnify everything. Good question to ask the doc is, what method does he think is best, and which one does he do most often, and what are his preferences. My doc says da Vinci is the way to go. Better for him, better for me. Win win. Your final decision should be between you and your doctor, though, IMHO.
Unread 11-11-2011, 06:34 PM

I'm having the davinchi and bso and I'm SO HAPPY about it! Much less pain, less blood loss, easier healing, and a better view for the dr. I really think you'll be happier with the lap or davinchi! Hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register