Scheduled TAH Planning Christmas travel and have questions about car rides | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Planning Christmas travel and have questions about car rides Planning Christmas travel and have questions about car rides

Unread 11-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Planning Christmas travel and have questions about car rides

Hi ladies! On Christmas Day I will be 2.5 weeks post op from a TAH with excision of endometriosis. I'm wondering how I'm going to weather Christmas celebrations....or if I will be able to.

On both the 25th and 26th we will be celebrating with different sides of our family. For both trips we will be driving an hour there and an hour back in the same day. We will have 6+ hours of celebration on those days with family. The 25th will have about 30 people at it and the 26th will have 11.

From your recovery, do you think this is something I will be able to manage? I will not be driving and my hubby is prepared to take care of the kids the whole time we are at both locations. Am I asking too much of my body? I would LOVE your input!

Thanks SO much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Re: Planning Christmas travel and have questions about car rides

Listen to your body!! If you feel bad fon't go, your family will understand. I would take it easy and make sure I had plenty of help from the hubby!! Best Wishes!
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:18 AM

I agree... your body will tell you what you can and can't do.
Make sure you clear it with your Doc.
If you get to then rest lots... Maybe ask for a place to lay down for a little bit at each celebrations.
Also don't feel bad if you are not healed enough to go to 1 or both of the celebrations... Family should understand...
If you are not able to go then have someone call you or video chat with you so you can be there by proxy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2011, 11:27 AM

Thanks ladies! I talked with my hubby about it more and feel a lot better. We celebrate with our little family of 5 on Christmas Eve, for him that is the most important thing. He wants me to enjoy our Christmas Eve celebration and if that means I can't go to his family's on the 25th or mine on the 26th, he is ok with that.

To be honest, my biggest concern is my mother-in-law. I'm very worried about how she will react if we can't make it... My family is pretty accommodating and won't make a big deal out of it...my sister is due with a baby on Dec. 22nd, so this year is in flux anyway.

We're going to do a test run on Christmas Eve to see how long I'm ok while driving around looking at Christmas lights. If I'm too worn out or sore on Christmas Day, the hubby will deal with his family.

Thanks for your opinions! I appreciate them! I know my biggest issue is the family dynamic on the hubby's side of the family, and now that I have the hubby's reassurance, I feel a lot better.
Unread 11-10-2011, 12:31 PM

Sounds like you have yourself one good Hubby!
Unread 11-10-2011, 03:06 PM

I'm facing a similar issue with Thanksgiving, only my family is 2 hrs away. I went to my 1 week post-op today and the doctor told me that he wasn't going to stop me from going but to please listen to my body and plan accordingly. While I'm feeling great at 1 week post-op those bumps in the road still cause an uncomfortable feeling, so I'm hoping to just convince my family to come to our house to celebrate instead.
Unread 11-10-2011, 05:58 PM

Well....this has turned into a non-issue. After trying to coordinate with the urologist, the only date that will work before the end of the year is December 21st....I'll be coming home from the hospital on Christmas Day. LOVELY! So we won't be going to either Christmas celebration this year. Kind of sad, but we're trying to make it work....
Unread 11-14-2011, 03:51 PM

My surgery is scheduled for Dec 20th and looking to come home either the 22or 23rd. My DH has talked to his mom about her coming to our house (it's just the 3 of us this year and she is 86 yrs old) for christmas eve and she is not being cooperative. I told him he could just go over to her house, take her presents, maybe take her to dinner. Or he could pick her up and bring her to our house. She lives over 30 mins away and have even suggested she come and stay the night, then she can go to his brothers house in the morning with his family. They also live on our side of town. It would just make things so much easier. She keeps saying, well, maybe I will want to get out of the house! DUH, I will just be getting home!! For christmas day, my son is coming over in the morning to open presents, then he is going to fix lasanga to take to my mom's for dinner that day. Everyone on my side of the family has already said, if I feel good enough, just come over to mom's and they are going to do it all and I just need to sit and relax. Plus my mom only live less then 10 mins from us, no long drive. It would not have bothered me to have this surgery done the 23rd or 24th just to save being put thru all of this!!
Unread 11-14-2011, 05:51 PM

I would say there is no way one of us could celebrate just a few days after a TAH, nor should we feel pressured. I will be 3 weeks post op and my doc said not to drive 5 hours unless planning to stop every 30 minutes. No way will that happen, and I'm not going to feel guilty nor should you. If it has been just a few days, you will be hard pressed to move to the couch and not nap three times. Take it easy...you only heal once.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register