The question I wish I had asked... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The question I wish I had asked... The question I wish I had asked...

Unread 11-10-2011, 10:25 AM
The question I wish I had asked...

I am compiling my list of questions for my dr visit tomorrow. He had announced rather bluntly last week that I needed a hysterectomy and I would have an ultrasound this week and then we would discuss the details. I got down the usual why this not that, what are the specifics of my situation, what to expect at the hospital, etc. but what is the question you wished you had asked, that would have made it all easier or better if you had known?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Re: The question I wish I had asked...

Get a second opinion.

I, too, had a gyn tell me hysterectomy was my only option.

I got a recommendation from my primary care physician (PCP) for a second opinion for a GYN NOT in my current doctors practice. The results were eye opening.

More information, more options, more respect for my opinion ....

After weighing everything and waiting another 2 years, I've opted for the hysterectomy.
Unread 11-10-2011, 10:56 AM

I don't really have time to get a second opinion and if anything is to be done at all, it must be done before the end of the year. My insurance has a $4,000 deductible and then a $6,000 out of pocket cost. Because one of my adult kids had a baby on our insurance we have met the deductible and all but $1,300 of our out of pocket cost. If I can't do it before January, nothing will be done at all, I will die before I create a $10,000 debt I cannot hope to pay. Several people have questioned me about doing something else to buy time before the hysterectomy but I feel like if the hysterectomy is inevitable(which even my family dr told me a few years ago, that or chemically forced menopause, which she said was a danger to my heart) why wait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Several people have questioned me about doing something else to buy time before the hysterectomy but I feel like if the hysterectomy is inevitable(which even my family dr told me a few years ago, that or chemically forced menopause, which she said was a danger to my heart) why wait?
Because if the unthinkable happens (because it does sometimes) and you have a terrible outcome, or long-term negative health consequences from the surgery, you will never forgive yourself for letting money dictate whether/when you have surgery.

What is the reason, exactly, that you need a hysterectomy? What other options are there that you are electing not to pursue - IF your insurance company will even approve a hysterectomy before trying other less invasive options (which some will not)? Has your DR explained ALL of the possible outcomes? (It can be really shocking when you get to 'the other side' and see the full range of potential problems that you may be trading your current ones for.)

If you truly need a hysterectomy, and you are 100% sure that it is the last/best option for you, and you are willing to live with whatever comes, then by all means get it done. Just know that it is a bit of a crap shoot and there is no guarantee that life afterwards will be better than it is now.

Question I wish I would have asked: how much can I expect to pay per month, potentially for the rest of my life, for HRTs, vitamins and supplements so that I can feel 'normal'? (Answer: it's staggering.)

I'd get that second opinion, quickly if necessary.

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:15 AM

Idk how old you are (close to menopause? ) or your situation but for me 3mths post op tah the surgery was a good idea I had fibroids & polyps causing severe anemia Dr gave me choice tah or chemical at my age 48 I chose tah recovery not fun seemed forever but now I'm happy, my iron is normal I can't remember last time I felt so good if your insurance will cover surgery now I would do it
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:31 PM

To clarify, I am 45 and have a fibroid mostly covering my cervix. Size and number of other tumors will be discovered at my ultrasound tomorrow. I just called my insurance and they said if my dr feels the procedure is medically necessary, it is covered, no prerequisite treatments or procedures. Actually I did consult a friend who is a family dr. She felt the tumor covering the cervix was a valid reason to have the surgery. As I said before, when the first fibroids were found 3 years ago, my own Dr warned me that since menopause comes late in my family, it would likely be necessary at some point. I don't feel I am being tricked into the surgery nor am I dreaming that it is without risks. Considering I hit a deer on the way home tonight(luckily no damage to anyone), I suspect when balanced with other risks it is fairly small. I am really healthy in every other way, exercise regularly, eat right, and maintain a reasonable weight, so I am hoping these factors will help lower my risk. In my understanding the risk in getting my cervix completely blocked and getting blood poisoning is a higher risk than the surgery risk. I am not having my ovaries removed so HRT should not be an issue but my insurance covers long term generic prescriptions at no cost so I can deal with that too. I already take several vitamins and supplements and pay for them fine. It sounds like surferbabe had a horrible experience but most people I know personally had an experience more like Sheelah49's, longer recovery than they wished but overall gave them a better life.
To get back to my question, what do you wished you had asked that would have made it easier or a better recovery?
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:47 PM

Well I'm having a davinchi with bso in 4 days and if I were you I'd ask if they can do it via davinchi. It's alot easier to recover from but some drs don't do it. Also as far as recovery goes I know there's no lifting over 5 lbs for at LEAST 6 weeks. I've read so much on this site I really couldn't think of any other questions! hugs
Unread 11-11-2011, 01:33 PM

Hello, for me I wish I would have asked WAY more questions about the risk of no hormone replacement, I have a rare form of endo on the diaphram which made my lung collapse every month along with my period, so I really do not want to take any hrt but on the other hand there are alot of other health risks without hrt..Im almost 4 months out and know more collapsed lung it been sooooo nice not to be in that kind of pain anymore, so far so good.
Unread 11-11-2011, 01:54 PM

I'm not allowed to do ht because of my BRCA2 gene. If there's a high history of cancer in your family they won't recommend it, so you could ask if youre a good candidate for ht or not.
Unread 11-11-2011, 02:12 PM

Geyserpoolblue already said she's planning on keeping her ovaries, so HRT won't be an issue.

To answer your question, GPB ... I can't think of any. I am a pretty laidback (but positive) person, and I had few concerns, and the info on this site was plenty enough to answer any questions I had. And my recovery so far has been fantastic.

I wish you all the best.
Tori

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register