The question I wish I had asked... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The question I wish I had asked... The question I wish I had asked...

Unread 11-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Re: The question I wish I had asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifrog
Geyserpoolblue already said she's planning on keeping her ovaries, so HRT won't be an issue.
Actually, there is no guarantee of that. It varies from woman to woman depending on what percentage of their blood supply they get from the uterine artery - for some it's the majority, for some not, just individual variation - but for some women, removing the uterus causes the ovaries to shut down, either temporarily or permanently depending on whether or not they are able to reestablish a new blood supply. We have had plenty of women here in our hormone forums because they thought that by keeping their ovaries, they would escape early menopause, only to find that it ain't necessarily so.

That is why I would recommend discussing HRT/no HRT options with your DR even if you think you will not need anything.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2011, 04:28 PM

Thanks surferbabe - I learn new stuff every day here
Unread 11-11-2011, 05:03 PM

Make sure you ask why you are given the restrictions you are given for recovery....some of them may not make sense, but there is a reason..... I was told not to do any bending, I figured I could tie my own shoes, but ended up getting a hematoma behind my incision. Luckily I didnt have any major complications with that and it resolved itself, but it could have been worse. Just make sure you understand the risks during recovery. to you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2011, 12:17 PM

I'm glad you get to keep your ovaries, that should make things easier. I did ask a lot of questions, I was really nervous and being that I was severly anemic that was my biggest concern as I understand there is some blood loss during the surgery and I didn't have enough to spare. I was given 3bags of blood and I lost the equivalent of 2 bags - but I'm a bleeder anyway. At least I was still one bag over what I came in with, but in hindsight I wish I would've asked more questions about my pain meds as they caused serious constipation I didn't realize how important the stool softners would be. I also had a issue with the catheter, as much as I complained about it nothing was done (oh, and you may not know, but your bladder may feel bruised or irritated and you may feel like you have a bladder infection, I was told it was a normal thing, I didn't have a bladder infection) Once they took the catheter off - which for me seemed I had it on for 3 days (I think too long) I had difficulty urinating, voiding maybe 2oz at a time, while they were pushing liquids on me both orally and IV it got so bad I had to get up about every 15min to go, I did not feel this was normal, I went home from the hospital on a thursday and on Friday morning I was back at the dr's getting a catheter put back in as my bladder was about to explode, horrific discomfort and pain. Once put in they got 3 liters out of me while I was there and another 2 came out on the way home, so, I suggest once you get out of the hospital try to get out on a weekday in case you have to see the dr for any reason before the weekend hits. I also didn't know that the bladder is attached to the uterus and it will be peeled off from the uterus and put back in, if I'd known that pre op, I may have understood why I had so much bladder pain. All in all that was my biggest nightmare, 3 months post op, I still have some bladder pain but everything works and I chalk it up to still healing, if you have an abdominal inicsion as I did, it will be painful for months but once you hit 2 1/2 months it won't be as annoying but you will notice it, no meds needed. I was told constantly not to overdo it, so I will stress that to you, as I did overdo it, you'll start to feel really good and want to get back into life quickly, but in the first 8 weeks, take it easy, it'll be worth it. Good luck to feeling lots better!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register