Lavh/bso - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-11-2011, 03:16 AM
Re: Will DaVinci LAVH/BSO be as easy & pain free as Dr says?

I had a da Vinci assited surgery (vaginal removal) and mine went great. I was on a morpine drip when I woke up with a push button that I controlled. Every time I woke up, I made sure to push it (could only push it every 6 minutes they said, and there was a maximum). I wasn't in any major pain, I just knew to keep the meds going to keep on top of the pain. In the morning (had a 4pm surgery), we switched to pills. Today is 2 weeks exactly post op. I'm doing great. Still taking a bit of pain meds, but on an as needed basis, and not regular at all. Hope yours goes great!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2011, 09:36 AM

I had mine on Oct. 27, gas pain was pretty intense. I had pain medications as some as I finished recovery. It was much easier than a c-section. Your incisions are sore for a week to 10 days. I had severe problems with BM pain but it is getting better every day. Also, do not overeat after your surgery, I had a favorite meal a few days out and was in pain.
Unread 11-16-2011, 10:39 AM

I had mine 3 days ago. I've had pain. I'm also trying to do too much so I started bleeding. My advice is to do nothing but rest. And avoid stairs - I've been up and down them to my regret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2011, 12:40 PM

Hi, so yes, it really is that easy! The worst part was the anticipation, and the iv. I still have a sore throat from being intibated and feel bloated beyond belief! But, there is not a lot of pain. Just a tired feeling.
So listen to your body. Move around but don't over do it. Breathe and relax. And be grateful for davinci!!!
Unread 11-18-2011, 09:08 AM

My doc had told me and hubby there would be minimal pain. WRONG! Mine has been the DaVinci surgery from hell the first two weeks. Third week there is some progress with less pain, but I still have the terrible bearing down, feels like a huge ball between my legs kind of pain. I don't mean to scare anyone, but I think we need to quit listening to the sales pitch to have robotic surgery. I don't mean that you shouldn't have robotic, just that you should be aware that it may not turn out the way your doctor says.

When I went for my 2 week follow up, he was stunned to see that I had major swelling as if I had undergone abdominal surgery. Incision sites are healing nicely, but internal is another story.

I hope that soon the swelling inside will go down, and that I won't regret surgery.

Be aware that the skill is in the doctor, not the robot! Maybe mine wasn't so skilled but he came across over confident and optimistic. I'd rather be told of all the problems that could occur instead of selling me on "minimal" pain B.S.

Take it easy. Mine told me do whatever I felt comfortable doing in first two weeks. I walked a bit, took the stairs, stood longer than I should and now he's ordered me to bed rest until I don't feel the pressure and pain. No restrictions first two weeks he said, now after examining me internally, he says another 4-6 weeks of being careful!

Best of luck and hope you're one of the lucky ones :-)
Unread 11-18-2011, 09:46 AM

I'm sorry! I totally agree that there IS pain with the davinchi surgery! I'm 4 days post op- swollen- and sore! I'm taking pain meds but my dr only gave me a little amount saying there wouldn't be much pain- which is NOT TRUE! I'm having to take Aleive with the Percocet just to get comfortable enough to sleep. My first bm opened my bellybutton incision so I had bleeding for two days there. This recovery is slow and painful. Just because it's done robotically dosnt take away the fact you're having major organs removed from your body. It gets a bit better daily but there IS pain!
Unread 11-18-2011, 04:41 PM

Sorry to hear you haven't had the "glowing recovery". That's definately NO FAIR!

Guess that fine print that says, "Results may vary" should be printed a lot larger. The terms "minimcally invasive" and "outpatient procedure" doesn't make it any less of a major surgery.

I hope you both get to feeling better quickly.
Unread 11-18-2011, 05:57 PM

I never had any pain or any narcotic pain meds! Very easy. I had surgery on Friday - went to work on Wednesday (had to) took off on Thursday - went back on Friday -one week after surgery. No shoulder pain.

My biggest difficulty was not being able to fully void my bladder. But that seems ok now. As far as BM's - I took Senokot faithfully - and had no trouble.

Go back for two week check on Tuesday (early because of the holidays). I think my doctor should advertise a pain free hysterectomy!
Unread 11-19-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabrider View Post
I never had any pain or any narcotic pain meds! Very easy. I had surgery on Friday - went to work on Wednesday (had to) took off on Thursday - went back on Friday -one week after surgery. No shoulder pain.

My biggest difficulty was not being able to fully void my bladder. But that seems ok now. As far as BM's - I took Senokot faithfully - and had no trouble.

Go back for two week check on Tuesday (early because of the holidays). I think my doctor should advertise a pain free hysterectomy!

Did you have a radical hysterectomy? That's amazing. My doctor promised me this outcome but I got the opposite. Your doctor must be awesome or you are a fast healer!

Congratulations.
Unread 11-20-2011, 12:08 AM

I just want to make sure everyone knows the differemce between a total and a radical hysterectomy.

A total involves the removal of the cervix and uterus. A radical includes removal of the cervix, uterus and top of the vagina and is usually done due to a cervical cancer diagnosis. In either case they could also remove ovaries and tubes. If both are removed that is called a BSO or bi-lateral salpingo oopherectomy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register