Lavh/bso - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Re: Will DaVinci LAVH/BSO be as easy & pain free as Dr says?

Yes- they took cervix, uterus, both ovaries, and tubes. Don't know how much of the vagina they took - but I suspect not much. I have had abnormal paps and complex cysts and when he said hysterectomy was an option - I jumped on it! I am so afraid of cancer - and have had so many scares - that it was just perfect for me. Aparently one ovary was ok - but if he was going in anyway - I just prefered to only go through one surgery.

Don't know if he was just that good or if I have an easy time with surgery. But - either way - it was a breeze for me!

My doctor has performed approximately 50 DaVinci surgeries this year. I asked because I was suspicious of the Robot. My brother is a surgeon in a teaching hospital. He works on babies. I asked him about the Robot - and he said that it was great. He said a doctor that has a robot available is doing a disservice to their patient if they don't offer its use. Then I found out that my mother had half a lung removed by a robot - (same hospital) and had an easy recovery as well.

I do admit that I had a c-section back in the 90s by a different doctor - and was released a day early because the doctor came in to check on me and twice- couldnt find me (I was walking the halls or in the shower). I distinctly remember the pain of sitting up went away on day 8. I didn't take pain meds then - but it was because I was breast feeding.

I can imagine that the robot does depend upon the doctor using it and the condition being removed - but according to my brother - it only takes 3 surgeries to allow a doctor to perform the surgeries without a proxy - then after 10 surgeries - that doctor can be a proxy. So, that tells me that the robot must be pretty user friendly.

I will tell you - I thought the doctor was going to pull all that stuff out those little holes (lol) He pulls them through the vagina - made a whole bunch of sense after I heard that!

Oh - I forgot - yes I had some swelling in my belly - but not much. I did wear jeans (loose fitting) last night - and they just aren't as comfortable against the incisions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2011, 11:16 AM

Oh cra-, my hospital has just been credentialed to use the DaVinci since the beginning of October, I did ask the Dr when I saw him late October about how much instruction that he had on it.. now by the time I have mine I dont know if he will have 50 or so under his belt, but im sure hoping all turns out well!!
Dr said it is like learning to drive a truck,you already know how to drive a car,you just learn how to drive differently..
I know that he did say the will tilt me at 90% angle for at least 10 minutes to check , vitals, oxegen etc..., Im thinkin they are trying to use gravity to move parts out of the way
Unread 11-20-2011, 02:04 PM

I pray so. I have surgery on 12-9-2011.
Im driving my dr and family crazy with my mood swings, pain and questions..

I thought I was just tired and sis not realize that I was carrying 5 largebleeding fibroids ( 27cm, 26cm,20cm,10cm and 9cm).

Now I discovered that it has caused me to be severely anemic and low on O2 in the blood and Vitamin D. Now on 50,000u of vita D a week and 2000u daily..

I feel like cray, dont know what to pack- or even how long to plan on being there.

I have 3 children under 12 and a spouse that, God Bless is trying heart, just doesnt have a clue.

Ren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Lavh/bso

I didn't pack much. Some granny panties and some bikinis because I was told my incisions were going to be belly button and higher. Wore the bikinis as the hospital mesh panties are useless on holding a pad in place! I wore home what I wore in. Wore the hospital gown the whole stay as I had a catheter in and an IV and they take vitals and draw blood occasionally.

"I know that he did say the will tilt me at 90% angle for at least 10 minutes to check , vitals, oxegen etc..., Im thinkin they are trying to use gravity to move parts out of the way."

That is exactly why they tilt you, although I was told it was 30* angle, so the bowels move out of the way and they can access the uterus more easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabrider View Post
I never had any pain or any narcotic pain meds! Very easy. I had surgery on Friday - went to work on Wednesday (had to) took off on Thursday - went back on Friday -one week after surgery. No shoulder pain.

My biggest difficulty was not being able to fully void my bladder. But that seems ok now. As far as BM's - I took Senokot faithfully - and had no trouble.

Go back for two week check on Tuesday (early because of the holidays). I think my doctor should advertise a pain free hysterectomy!
My story is very similiar. I didn't use any pain meds after the recovery room. I did have gas pains but took Senakot daily and it helped with all BMs, including the first one (2 days post op). I am scheduled to go back to work 2 weeks post op. Everyone thinks I'm crazy but I feel up to going back this Wed (one week post op) if I could!

Quote:
I know that he did say the will tilt me at 90% angle for at least 10 minutes to check , vitals, oxegen etc..., Im thinkin they are trying to use gravity to move parts out of the way.

That is exactly why they tilt you, although I was told it was 30* angle, so the bowels move out of the way and they can access the uterus more easily

Hi, wow, good information!! I also think they assign "levels" of mastery (I wonder if there is a pay scale associated with mastery level (haha, jk, kinda)).
Also, an FYI. Currently reading a fascinating article by Malcolm Gladwell called John Rock's Error. FASCINATING and good reading. Altho the article is about the Pill, you learn the # of periods we were meant to have (back in the day) vs how many we have in modern day society.
Unread 11-20-2011, 08:51 PM

They will use what is described as a steep trendlenberg position which should be a 45 degree angle if you check the literature. As mentioned it is to provide the surgeon more room to work.

Again remember your mileage may vary, everyone reacts differently to surgery.

Unread 11-20-2011, 09:10 PM

I never saw the robot - and barely remember being in the OR. My brother also told me that the gas they pump into your abdominal cavity will cause shoulder pain after the surgery. I did NOT have any shoulder pain. But I hear that sometimes is a problem with the robot.
Unread 11-21-2011, 11:57 AM

(((Ladies)))

You are all so wonderful about sharing and supporting each other! That is what makes this site so wonderful--the members who care and share!

As a reminder, to be sure that everyone does get the best support, all posts should reflect back to the OP (original poster) and her question. This threaded ended up with several tangent conversations--which can easily happen, even off line when we are chatting with friends!

We have split off several posts to create new threads to help everyone receive the best support.

Also, there are certain topics that we don't allow to make sure we maintain a tone of kindness and to protect each of our members. Comparing the healthcare of various countries in a negative manner is one of them. Additionally, medical professionals may not post as medical professionals unless they include their full name, contact information, and license number right in their post. Otherwise, all support needs to be women supporting women from personal experience as a woman, not a medical professional. So, we have also removed a few posts to keep everything within TOS.

Thank you all so much for understanding and for helping us have such a great site for women who on the hysterectomy journey.

(((Upper West Side)))

We all hope your surgery goes well today and your recovery is a super smooth one!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register