Scheduled TAH Will symptoms (esp. exhaustion) go away with my fibroids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will symptoms (esp. exhaustion) go away with my fibroids? Will symptoms (esp. exhaustion) go away with my fibroids?

Unread 11-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Will symptoms (esp. exhaustion) go away with my fibroids?

Hello all. This is my first post and my story. I'm about to turn 40 years old. Hooray! I've always considered myself healthy, with the exception of the last year or two.

I have been on birth control pills for 20+ years and during that time have mostly exerienced very light, nonpainful periods. I have noticed however in the last year of two, that my periods have become heavy and painful again. I say again, because, as a teenager, I experienced excruciatingly painful, heavy, and overall miserable periods. I recall laying in the floor of the Junior High School girl's bathroom floor (yeah, gross) crying because I was in so much misery. For whatever reason, I was forced to endure this monthly hell, until I put myself on birth control pills when I was 18.

I have always gone for my routine paps and pelvic exams and never had a problem until about a year ago. I changed doctors' offices and started seeing a nurse practitioner, who noted, on my first EVER pelvic exam by her, that my uterus was distended (or some word like that). Funny, I don't remember the exact word she used, but I remember it sure scared me to death. So she sent me for an ultrasound and they found "multiple uterine fibroids" and then sent me on to see my OB/GYN who found that my uterus was 16 weeks in size and I had 3 fibroids. The largest of the fibroids is softball size and on the posterior side of my uterus. I am scheduled for a TAH on December 12.

As I think back, I wonder if these symptoms I've been having - low back pain, phantom cramps (not during my period), nausea, urinary urgency, low libido, and most of all EXHAUSTION, have been related to these fibroids. The exhaustion is the worst part. I can work all day, go home, and go right to sleep. It seems no amount of sleep is enough. I have also been diagnosed with pernicious anemia and am getting B12 injections, which don't help my exhaustion at all. Also, I have noticed more recently that when I eat a heavy meal or foods that produce a lot of gas, I tend to feel menstrual like low pelvic cramps.

So, I guess I'm asking are all of the symptoms common with uterine fibroids? I'm truly hoping I will have this surgery and feel good again. Peace and Love my sisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Re: Will symptoms (esp. exhaustion) go away with my fibroids?

I am sorry you are dealing with this. Regarding your general health question of the fibroids causing your fatigue and anemia, I do not know. That is something you may want to ask your doctor.

Hopefully, some women with similar medical histories will respond to your post and tell you of their experience.

(((HUGS)))
Unread 11-11-2011, 08:26 AM

yep they will..somedays I don't think I will make it through the whole day...don't know if its the fibroids or anemia because I do have both...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2011, 08:52 AM

Since I'm not a Dr I can't really tell you exactly what is causing your symptoms or whether they'll go away post surgery, but I can tell you that my symptoms have been greatly minimized and I'm continuing to feel better everyday.

I had a TAH to get rid of multiple large fibroids and uncountable smaller ones. Prior to surgery I was anemic because of heavy bleeding and lengthy periods that were too close together. I also had bowel problems because of constriction and pressure from my too large uterus. I was exhausted, dizzy, in pain, etc. Those symptoms are either gone, or getting better.

Keeping my fingers crossed you feel better after your surgery. Take care and heal well!
Unread 11-11-2011, 09:02 AM

Thank you all for your responses. Wow - I hadn't thought about my dizziness possibly being related. Peace and love to you all
Unread 11-11-2011, 09:58 AM

i feel for you! alot of similarities, am also turning 40 soon and am now two weeks post op LAVH for fibroids. Prior to surgery i was feeling all the same stuff you are now dealing with. The healing process has many of the same issues as the day to day pain, tired, sore, achy, nausea (which i think is mostly b/c of the meds), but feels much different b/c everyday I feel incrementally better whereas pre-op every day I was feeling a little worse and was relieved to finally get to surgery. some of the things that I was experiencing before like lightheaded and dizzy, itchy crawly skin, crazy *****iness, complexion and low libido have shown marked improvement or disappeared. I have hope that when the healing process is over I will be better than I have for many years!

hugs
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:32 AM

Thanks naturegurl! I'm looking forward to getting it over with and I hope that my results are like yours. And I hope you continue to recover well and your crazy symptoms become just a memory. Happy 40th to you!!
Unread 11-11-2011, 11:03 AM

Our stories are almost completely the same. I'm 41 and had a TAH Aug. 3.

I never was anemic because my bc pills controlled my bleeding but man, the fatigue & exhaustion has been my normal life for so many years. I do believe the "alien seed pod" uterus I had was sucking the life out of me.

As for the low libido, I blame the bc pills. I have only been off of the pill twice in my life for about 1 year each time and it shot through the roof after about 4 months of not taking them ! I'm still crossing my fingers on the libido thing and hoping the bc hormones will clear my system completely and I'll have it back soon.
I'm still baffled that I have been having paps since I was 13 (been on bc pills since 13) and my new doc, just 10 years ago, was the first to say anything about fibroids. My uterus was at about a 9 week size pregnancy. Now come on, the doc the previous year couldn't feel something that size or a little smaller? grrrr!

All of the other docs just chocked up my pain and bleeding as normal and kept changing my pills. They honestly didn't believe me just because the blood work didn't show I was anemic. I mean I bled like a stuck pig for roughly 9-10 days, passed huge clots, had SEVER cramps but apparently, I didn't lose enough blood to cause an alarm. sheesh, they just ignored the fact that I hurt like heck and couldn't function when I started my period.

Anyway, sorry, I'm on a rant.

I'm still recovering and I am feeling better as the weeks pass. At first, you won't think you'll ever feel better but you will. It'll just take time.......... a lot of time, so try to be patient. Don't think you'll be bouncing around the house and work immediately like some of the other ladies that had LAH or TVH. TAH takes a lot longer to get over. I'm still sore, bloated and tire easily. But hey, I had no choice but to have a TAH/Vertical incision and couldn't wait any longer because it was growing by the weeks.

I can feel my energy levels getting higher every week also. Right now, I feel like I have about the same energy as I did before the surgery..............which is a drastic improvement from week 1 post op.

My doc told me I would feel soooo much better, but its possible it could take 6-12 months to feel like that. I'm not concerned since I've felt like crap for many many years. Hey, what's another 6 + months, right?

I'm still glad I had it done and wish I had the surgery 10 years ago when my first doc suggested it. Even then, when he found I had fibroids, my uterus already too big for Lap.

I hope your surgery goes well and you recover quickly.
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Will symptoms (esp. exhaustion) go away with my fibroids?

Wow - your story is so similar to mine - right down to the December 12 surgery date! Which obviously means yes I have experienced the same symptoms as you. December 12 can't come soon enough. I have no idea what it is like to feel normal any more! You will find a ton of information on the site and a tremendous amount of support. Welcome!
Unread 11-13-2011, 06:55 PM

Having TAHBSO on 11/15 and really hoping the exhaustion will eventually go away. Uterus is like 16 weeks and pushing on everything. Hoping and praying for relief.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register