Any advice for an afternoon surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any advice for an afternoon surgery? Any advice for an afternoon surgery?

Unread 11-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Any advice for an afternoon surgery?

My sugery is Monday, originally scheduled for 7:30am, but then DR called and it was rescheduled for 1pm. I checked with the DR I still have the bowel prep the day before and still NPO after midnight
I barely make it through fasting blood draws without passing out! I can't imagine going until 1pm without even a sip of water much less my beloved coffee!
My husband even jokingly said he is planning on working until noon so he dosen't have to put up with me.
Seriously though...any tips on how to handle this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Re: Any advice for an afternoon surgery?

I found that the stress of waiting until it was my turn took care of any physical needs that I might have had. I wasn't hungry or thirsty even though my surgery was scheduled for one pm and then delayed until after 2 pm. If you need caffeine, I have read that you can ask to have some put into your iv to prevent headaches. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 11-12-2011, 09:14 PM

My early morning (7 AM) surgery got pushed back to 11 AM as well. I talked to my anesthesiologist because I am hypoglycemic and she allowed me to have fluids until 7 am that morning. In fact, she told me to push fluids. So, I was able to have clear juice, water, etc. (I also did a bowel prep.) So, talk to your doctor. But, like Danni, I was not hungry because I had so much nervous energy and adrenaline going before surgery.

Good luck.

(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Any advice for an afternoon surgery?

Hi girls, I'd love some advice also. I'm going in at noon.
Unread 11-13-2011, 01:03 AM

My surgery was at 1 p.m. I had to be at the hospital at 11 a.m. and as Danni said, my nerves kept my hunger away. I had tummy issues from the bowel prep, so eating was not a real concern for me!

I was thirsty, but that was easier than I thought. Because I had just watched the day before one of those survival shows where this man was in the woods and didn't have anything to drink for two days. I knew I could make just a few hours. And once I was in the hospital, they started an iv before my surgery.

At home, I did a few simple chores - changed my bed, as I knew I wouldn't be able to do that for a while! Did a few dishes, smelled the coffee, A LOT! I think that helped!

You will be fine. Really! It is not as bad as you think, as I was afraid of the bowel prep and the clear liquid diet more than anything else. It wasn't as awful as I thought, and as the day ticked away, I was getting more excited to get to the hospital. Once at the hospital, I was iin a bed and it didn't matter how much longer I had to wait. The surgery was coming quickly and I just needed to be wheeled into the operating room.

I hope things go smoothly for you, and please don't be concerned about the later time. You will be fine! Good luck!
Unread 11-13-2011, 02:33 PM

I could use some tips too.... My surgery is not scheduled until 5PM!! I have to be at the hospital at 3, but still nothing to eat or drink all day!
Unread 11-13-2011, 02:59 PM

Darn Evelyn - I feel for you.

My surgery is scheduled for 2:30 and I can have clear liquids - including my coffee fix - until 10:30.

Try sleeping in as long as possible, taking a nap, long walks, more cleaning and house prep, .... just brain storming here.

Good Luck! See you on the other side. (((HUGS)))
Unread 11-13-2011, 03:06 PM

My surgery was scheduled for 1030am but was pushed to 1pm due to delays in the surgerys before mine. I wasnt hungry at all due to nerves and they will hook you up to fluids as soon as you get inro the prep area so dehydration isnt an issue. My only advise is to have your friends/family in the prep area with you to make the time pass by quicker so you dont have so much time to get worked up.
Unread 11-13-2011, 03:56 PM

My surgery was scheduled for 1:00 P.M. and they wanted me at the hospital by 11:00.
I got a call from an O.R. nurse the night before and she said that they had to reschedule my surgery until 5:00 P.M.!!!

I was so disappointed. I slept in as late as I could, and kept my activity down to a minimum. I did sip water very carefully, but spit it back out in the sink.

The rules are the rules so that you don't aspirate on the operating room table.

I somehow made it until about 2:00. I wasn't supposed to arrive at the hospital until 3:00 PM, but I got to the hospital early and had them hydrate me with I.V. fluids. I told them that I just could not bear it anymore.

My hospital is a very busy cancer and diabetes hospital, and I was fairly healthy, so I was not a priority. The diabetics were first.

They started my surgery at about 5:00 PM and my family said that I didn't get out of surgery until about 9:00 or 10:00 PM.

Good Luck.
Unread 11-13-2011, 04:13 PM

My surgery is also on Tuesday, but since UNC doesn't schedule times until the afternoon before, I won't know until tomorrow after one what time my surgery is. If I need to wait until afternoon, so be it, I just hope that isn't the case. I have my liquid diet tomorrow, and I'll be making the jello soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register