Any advice for an afternoon surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any advice for an afternoon surgery? Any advice for an afternoon surgery?

Unread 11-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Re: Any advice for an afternoon surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanging_on View Post
My surgery is also on Tuesday, but since UNC doesn't schedule times until the afternoon before, I won't know until tomorrow after one what time my surgery is. If I need to wait until afternoon, so be it, I just hope that isn't the case. I have my liquid diet tomorrow, and I'll be making the jello soon.
Good Luck, Princess. Have a good surgery. Rest well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2011, 07:09 PM

Hi Ladies! My surgery was scheduled for 3pm. They told me I could have liquids that morning until 10 or 11. But I was so nervous I didn't want anything, but to get the surgery over with. Food and drink will more than likely be the last thing on your mind. But, if you are really concerned talk to your Dr. Best Wishes!
Unread 11-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Thank you guys!This has been going so much better then I expected. I have tried to stay busy today with laundry and stuff. I hope my family will let me sleep in tomorrow morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2011, 01:27 PM

FYI - 30 minutes to go before I leave home. I've done everything I can think of to get the house ready, packed, letters written and STARVED!!

So much for being too nervous or anxious to think about food - LOL
Unread 11-15-2011, 01:45 PM

Gah !!

I was scheduled to be at the hospital at 8:30am but I didn't go back until 1:30pm. I was soooo peed off.

They told me at my pre op that I'd get there at 8:30 and will be given antibiotics/IV for 1 hour and go into surgery so I assumed I'd go back into surgery around 9:30, right? NO !!!!!

I waited and waited and waited. Finally asked a nurse when I was going back and they said the doc will be here around 1:30. I was like ***? Y'all have had me sitting here with NO FREAKING WATER for 5 hours !
I have not had ANYTHING to drink since 9:00pm the night before, like I was told to do!!! That's been 16 freaking hours !!!!!!! If I'd known this, I'd waited to show up until right before my surgery !

I was a total **** to everyone. My nerves were shot and I was soooo thirsty. They said I couldn't have ANY water whatsoever. So yeah, I was so mad and nervous, I definitely wasn't hungry.

I did go into the bathroom and swish water around in my mouth several times and spit it out. That helped some.
Unread 11-15-2011, 02:22 PM

Make sure you eat to the fullest until the last second! My surgery was 1pm and the w held water unil 6 pm so i had to go 18 hours w out water and 20 hours w out food i was STARVING!!
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:03 PM

My plan was to sleep in but I woke up early dreaming I woke up and immediately ate something. I jerked awake because I knew I wasn't supposed to. Then my surgery got delayed until 4 (supposed to be at 1). Nerves the day of will help, but you can be sure I asked my night nurse what they had available as soon as I got to my room just in case! I didn't want to wake up starving and suffering.
Unread 11-16-2011, 07:38 AM

I'm scheduled for 5:30pm (come in at 3p) tomorrow per the PACU nurse, but my surgeon and office pre-op nurse said come in at 12:30 and to the OR around 2:30. I questioned the PACU nurse to verify the time, but of course he knew best..."those doctor's offices never give the right time, don't come in until "WE" say so." I'm a ER nurse and administrative supervisor at the sister hospital and I know the flexibility of the daily OR schedule, but I still was concerned after the hospital pre-op appt. So I called the surgeon's office to verify-- glad I did! I am to be there at 12:30!!! The office pre-op nurse was adamant I be ready following my doctor's prior daVinci case. Will the PACU take me back 2.5 hrs earlier than they have me scheduled??? Now I'm just wondering what the PACU crew will tell me at 5pm tonight when they call for the finally time update... SO FRUSTRATING! I think I might just camp out in the parking lot--- I'm not getting RE-SCHEDULED if I can help it!!!

The PACU nurse also said I could EAT and drink up to 8hrs before my surgery... HMMMM-really!!! I mentioned the bowel prep, he said a light breakfast was OKAY even after a prep. I DON'T think so...! (And told me to have my ride ready and waiting, and when I explained I was staying overnight as inpatient, he began to rant about unnecessary hospital stays for simple outpt surgeries... OMG! I even got to hear about his wife's hysterectomy and how people make too much of a big deal about them. I wont even go into detail about his joke of a nursing assessment and using the stethoscope wrong! I was really getting irritated and even embarrassed that this person called himself a NURSE!

Please let him NOT be my PACU nurse tomorrow! As an employee of the same company, I really don't want to make waves, but I really felt like this nurse really had no clue what was scheduled for MY SURGERY and just gave my the quick "in and out" pre-op assessment, disregarding the doctors pre-surgery orders or my own questions and concerns.

Thankfully I am a nurse! But at the same time, I have the same fears and emotions as anyone having surgery, only mine are heightened by knowing what could happen!

Thanks for letting me vent. I plan on just being NPO after midnight... "what doesn't kill me, makes me stronger!" LOL!

Roo
Unread 11-16-2011, 10:54 AM

Hi Princesses
My surger was at 12:30pm and I was hungry but did not eat or drink anything since midnight before. When I got to the hospital I was so nervous that fasting was on the back of my mind. They do start an IV during pre op and it has glucose in it. Remember you will not be eating anything except clear liquids for one or two days afterwards. I asked for ice chips in the recovery room and they gave me a spoon at a time.
You will all be OK. This waiting and anticipation time is the worst
Bright blessings and Hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register