Anyone feel emotionally empty? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone feel emotionally empty? Anyone feel emotionally empty?

Unread 11-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Anyone feel emotionally empty?

I've been doing all the prep and keeping busy... And today I just feel like I'm an emotional vacuum... I wouldn't say depressed but pretty darn close. I don't want to do anything... No cleaning, no packing, no nothing. I want to just crawl in a hole and pretend this surgery isn't about to happen. I know it's the right decision, I'm not wavering, but I'm suddenly feeling so empty about it. Going through this idiotic countdown of "this is my last girls night out, pre-hyst!" or "this is my last time to mow the lawn with a uterus"... Totally random things to associate sadness with. I thought I was OK, but I'd really like to just crawl in a cave a bawl for an hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Re: Anyone feel emotionally empty?

That is so very normal. I think in our own ways we all mourn the loss of our uterus. It is something we have associated with our womenhood for many many years...even if it was a painful association it still was a very large part of who we are. If you feel the need to cry then do and dont be afraid too or think your nuts for wanting too. Let the emotions run their course. Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Tracy
Unread 11-15-2011, 02:03 PM

Thank you so much. You know, I haven't given myself the time to actually REALLY grieve over this.... stressed over the decision, made the decision, then got to work dealing with the things that needed to happen to make things go smoothly. But.... it IS a big deal, you know? I know I'll be better afterward, and grateful for the surgery -- but.... I really do think a good long cry would do my spirit good...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2011, 03:37 PM

You poor thing!!! We all understand. It doesn't really matter how prepared you think you are, sometimes, in the weirdest times, or for the weirdest reasons, it just seems to hit you that you are losing a part of you....just remember, it is a part of you...a part of your BODY, but not a part of who you are.

I am still struggling with some depression from losing mine. It usually hits me when I see babies, or even when I am walking through the kids' section of a clothing store with my friends. It hurts to not have kids of my own and it hurts that it is no longer possible for me, but I did what I had to do to be able to live my life the way it should be lived.

I hope you come here often and lean on all of us. We all know what you are going through and we are always here to listen. If I were you, I would get a BIG bowl of ice cream, put on a sappy movie and just let yourself have a good cry. There is NOTHING wrong with that!!! I am 6 months post op and spent last Friday doing just that. I felt so much better when I let it all out through tears!!

to you, sweetie!! I will be thinking of you!!!
Unread 11-15-2011, 03:40 PM

I honestly felt the same way, tomorrow is my surgery and I am just scared of complications and of course just waking up alive. This has been a long journey and I feel your pain. We wil get through it!!!!
Unread 11-15-2011, 04:01 PM

I was going to ask the same thing this afternoon. I have an overwhelming level of anxiousness and the smallest things are setting me off to sob. I am 12 days from surgery and everyday closer feels like I'm dragging a little more. I want it done, I'm just nervous and can't seem to deal with things. I told my kids if I had the sick pay I would just take the next 6 days of work off and get things done around home. I also feel like people at work/family are tired of hearing about it, I've known for a month now. Thanks for all the support you "sisters" give
Unread 11-15-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbid View Post
Thank you so much. You know, I haven't given myself the time to actually REALLY grieve over this.... stressed over the decision, made the decision, then got to work dealing with the things that needed to happen to make things go smoothly. But.... it IS a big deal, you know? I know I'll be better afterward, and grateful for the surgery -- but.... I really do think a good long cry would do my spirit good...
Do it - close yourself in a dark room with a box of tissues and let it all out. Cry til your eyes run dry and then cry some more. When you can't cry any more for the moment, go take a hot shower. You will feel much better after doing that verses keeping it all bottled up inside. Trust me.... I've been there several times doing the same thing since finding out I was having a hysterectomy. It really does help to get it all out.
Unread 11-15-2011, 07:46 PM

Yeah, I felt pretty useless the week or so before my surgery. I wasn't (still am not) sad about losing my uterus, but it was still a shock that I needed surgery to fix my situation and I had to process it that it was going to be gone.

Hope your surgery goes well!
Unread 11-16-2011, 08:53 AM

Oh my gosh, I totally hear you! You pretty much described exactly how I've been feeling. I have 16 days left and so much to do but I'm having a hard time doing any of it. I just want to crawl in bed and stay there until this is all over. Best wishes to you!
Unread 11-16-2011, 09:36 AM

I felt tha same way today! Could of cried the whole day! Just want the whole thing to be over with! My surgery date is still unknown and it's been 6 months since it was first discussed as an option. It feels like a rollercoster for me. One day I am happy and the next day for no reason I am mad at the whole world!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register