Da vinci proceedure tomorrow, what to expect | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Da vinci proceedure tomorrow, what to expect Da vinci proceedure tomorrow, what to expect

Unread 11-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Da vinci proceedure tomorrow, what to expect

Hi all,
I have just found this site and am having a partial hyst tomorrow. I saw the Gyno last week so it has all happened very quickly for me.
Just wondering if you have had the da vinci surgery and can let me in on what to expect post op, regarding pain, blood loss and recovery times.
I have to say the nerves are starting to kick in now, but at the same time I am really looking forward to getting my life back on track.
My husband had a vasectomy 3 years ago so the emotions that I am going through are more of the relief kind!
After 5 months of ongoing pain, excessive bleeding and irregular cycles I was diagnosed with endometriosis and abnormal uterine bleeding.
It has really affected my quality of life and I spend most of my cycle at home in fear of bleeding through in public.
Anyhow any advise would be greatly appreciated and any tips on what to pack in my hospital bag will be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Re: Da vinci proceedure tomorrow, what to expect

Hi. I just had my davinci yesterday so I don't know if i'llbe of a big help but: wow. I'm already home (it is considered outpatient). Pain is minimal but I am keeping ahead of it, alternating the heavy stuff with es tylenol (600 Mg) I am swollen. Everywhere, even in my face! But I feel ok. Best of luck, you will do fine.
Unread 11-15-2011, 07:16 PM

Thanks for that. All the best with your recovery. I will make sure they send me home with some pain relief!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2011, 07:30 PM

Hi! I had daVinci assisted vaginal hysterectomy, full, kept ovaries. It was 3 weeks ago this upcoming Thursday. This surgery had much less pain than my appendix (getting out of bed etc.) I've had almost no bleeding (worst was when I got a sinus infection and started coughing. Even then not enough to fill a panty liner, just a bit more, brighter and one small blood clot. What I'm doing now is just normal for the bleeding vaginally where the incision is.

Packing: I packed what I needed, but didn't get to have my bag until the next day, in the afternoon (family got sick, dh couldn't come to bring it after I was in my room). My lips were SO dry, so I asked my night nurse if they had any lip balm by chance and they did! Such relief.

I didn't put my nightgown on until they took off my iv line (kept the needle in just in case if that makes sense). Good house shoes for walking are good, but if you don't have them, they gave me non skid socks. Later on a book would be good, especially if nothing good is on TV.

Oh, toothbrush and paste. My mouth felt icky, and I finally explored the little bag they gave me with the lip balm (it had showering stuff in it) and discovered mouthwash, so I made do.

I found the lists they have on here somewhere, I just picked what I knew I would personally prefer, and tried to keep it light.
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:05 PM

I had my DaVinci on Sept 30 and now I sometimes "forget" I had surgery. My surgery was about 4 hours and I went home the same day. I had packed a small bag just in case but there was no need for it. I had 4 abdominal incisions that are pretty small (one a little larger than normal since there was so much to remove). I took Vicodin a few times but mostly just Tylenol. The hardest thing for me was sleeping, no matter what I did I couldn't find a comfortable position but even that wasn't too bad. I have not had any bleeding at all. I was walking a lot around the house for the first few days and then moved outside and on the treadmill. After about a week I was doing about 2 miles a couple times a day. It was slow but helped pass the time. I stayed out of work for 3 1/2 weeks but jumped right back into my 8-10 hour days without any problems. Luckily I had more energy than i expected! I feel so much better than I did prior to surgery and I'm very lucky I didn't have any major issues. The most important thing is to really listen to your body and take it easy when necessary.
Best of luck to you! I hope your recovery is as uneventful as mine.
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:23 PM

Had my DaVinci assisted hysterectomy two weeks ago tomorrow. Stayed in the hospital one night, but was up and walking the halls within a few hours. Moved to 800 mg Ibuprofen once home and tried to walk around the house a lot to relieve the gas. All in all, it was easy. Just a few sore days. Need sweat pants to come home in, and for the first week, but your tummy will go down within a week or so. I'm back at work and walking 4 miles a day. And in my jeans! Much renewed energy. Good luck to you. It was all much easier than I expected.
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:39 PM

Hi everyone, thank you for your posts. All the nurses say is "everyone's different" so I am relieved to hear our experiences so far are similar. (Granted, I'm only one day post op) but your sharing is helpful. I just ordered the belly thing, which I should have done in advance. Did any of you purchase that? I am just feeling bloated, cannot wait for all of this swelling to go away. Anyway, all the best to all of you. Keep us posted as to how you are.
Unread 11-16-2011, 01:52 PM

Yeah, I used the belly band. They put one on me in the hospital and I used it for several days. I haven't had to use it for almost a week now. There have been a couple of times when I thought about using it, but it wasn't bad.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register