Hysterectomy while in perimenopause | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy while in perimenopause Hysterectomy while in perimenopause

Unread 11-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Hysterectomy while in perimenopause

Hi ladies

I had my hyster 8 days ago - had everything removed. I'm 47, and had been in perimenopause for 12 years with some of the expected "menopausal" symptoms - hot flashes/flushes, emotional lability, thinning of hair etc etc - but not too bad. It all came on early because I have type 1 diabetes (and have had since 1969), and because I had to have an ovary removed in 1995 - both of which can bring early menopause.

I'm curious to hear from other women who've had their hyster while in perimenopause, and whether they've required HRT or not. I would prefer not to have any kind of HRT if possible, and at 8 days post-op I am not having any menopausal symptoms (it could also be very dangerous for me to have HRT with my medical history).

I know we're all different, but would appreciate hearing/reading any experiences you're willing to share.

Tori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Re: Hysterectomy while in perimenopause

I was perimenopausal and 45 years old when I had my hyst almost ten years ago. I woke up drenched in sweat, they slapped on a patch and I have not looked back. Well, actually, I have... and have several times made the decision to continue HRT for the foreseeable future despite a personal history of ER+ and PR+ breast cancer. The symptoms (for me) are so severe that I cannot function on a basic level, and my blood pressure goes to life threatening levels. For me, it's a no-brainer, but everyone has to make their own risk/benefit analysis.

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-15-2011, 05:52 PM

I am 43 and have been perimenopausal for several years. I had my hysterectomy 6weeks ago. Currently I am not on anything and have only had minor hot flashes. With endo and my family history of cancer the dr and I decided for now to wait on HRT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2011, 07:54 PM

Thanks for your replies ladies. I know I might just have to wait and see ... but would also love to hear from anyone else willing to share!

And thankyou to the Hostess who moved the thread - I thought I'd put it in the right place initially, then realised I'd made a boo-boo - and am very glad to see it where it should be

Tori
Unread 11-16-2011, 07:33 AM

I was 49 and perimenopausal when I had hysterectomy.

I woke up drenched and they put a patch on me.

I do not have much luck with any of the estrogens out there and would prefer to get off of everything.

I haven't been able to do it though b/t the mood issues, the joint/back pain I get. I already have to have another ortho surgery in January and don't want to rock the boat before I get through that recovery since it will entail me building bone and I worry it won't work right if I am not taking hormones.

Dream of trying again with just using Vagifem for female issues, but am worried it will create issues with job as well.

So, yes, I was in perimeno and yes, I've had every symptom out there.
Unread 11-16-2011, 07:11 PM

Thanks for your reply, 6andcounting ... I'm sorry it's been difficult for you ... and I wish you well with your upcoming surgery.

Tori
Unread 11-18-2011, 02:40 PM

I was 54 and still perimenopausal when I had my TLH/BSO last year. I have been on the Vivelle Dot estrogen patch since the day of my surgery. I really hadn't thought much about it before my surgery, but I am very happy that my doctor insisted that I needed it.

I was having night sweats prior to my surgery and haven't had one since. And I haven't really experienced any other menopausal symptoms since my surgery. I've read that bone less can be significant, especially in the first year after surgical menopause. I had a bone scan last week and was very pleased that the results were very good. My dr. said "the estrogen is certainly helping you maintain bone health." I also do a lot of exercise and take Vit. D and Calcium supplements on her recommendation.

I will continue to use estrogen replacement indefinately because I am low risk for complications and I love the benefits that estrogen provides to all of my body systems.

I wish you all the best in your recovery!
Unread 11-19-2011, 10:00 PM

Thanks for your reply, LoveBirds. Still smooth sailing here - but it's only the afternoon of day 13, and it seems *most* women didn't experience symptoms till week 3 .. so I'll wait and keep my fingers crossed!

I really appreciate all the varying replies - thank you sisters!

Tori
Unread 12-05-2011, 03:58 PM

Just thought I'd give an update. It's now day 29 post op for me, and last week I started having daily hot flushes/flashes. They have become more frequent over this period - not helped by the very warm weather we've been having here now summer has begun.

The good thing for me is that this has been the ONLY symptom I've had, and they tend to occur between 8 and 11am and 5-8pm for me. They're not fun, but each one only lasts 2-5 minutes... so I think I can handle that

So far I believe I won't need any form of HRT, but I guess time will tell. I feel very fortunate for the way things have transpired with me.

Anyone else wondering - I guess the only advice I can offer is to wait and see, and decide if and when symptoms begin. Good luck!

Tori
Unread 12-05-2011, 04:01 PM

(((Tori))) one thing to keep an eye on because you can't feel it is your bone density. Bone loss during the first year without ovaries occurs at a fairly high rate. You might ask your DR about getting a baseline DEXA scan done while you are newly post op, and then having another one in a year to compare it to. I was quite surprised to find that I already had osteopenia when I had mine done at a few months post op (I was also perimenopausal pre-hyst), but due to using HRT and getting weight bearing exercise plus taking plenty of Calcium and Vitamin D, it was possible to reverse the bone loss over the next couple of years so I am now in the "normal" range

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register