No symptoms - is this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No symptoms - is this normal? No symptoms - is this normal?

Unread 11-15-2011, 09:51 PM
No symptoms - is this normal?

I am 42 years old and had been suffering from perimenopause for the last couple of years but since my surgery on Friday (hysterectomy and both ovaries removed) I haven't had any night sweats or any other menopausal symptoms. HURRAY! As far as I know I wasn't given any hormones in the hospital... is it normal to not feel any symptoms yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Re: No symptoms - is this normal?

My dr told me if I had symptoms they would start between the 6th-10th day. I did not really start having night flashes till the 3rd week. Now at 6 weeks I am having more and having a hard time staying asleep at night.
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:28 AM

I didn't start having mine until the 3 week, almost going into the 4th. My dr. wasn't sure I would experience any because my estrogen levels were basically nothing before I had surgery but none the less they did. Some are lucky and they never do. I hope you continue to be one of those lucky one.

Take care
Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2011, 08:49 PM

Thanks so much ladies, I appreciate the input. I guess I"ll just keep hopefully waiting
Unread 11-17-2011, 09:56 PM

I am in the same situation I am 7 days out tah no symptoms... Was given a Vdot patch .. Have not started yet thought I would wait a little while until I am up and around a little better . But not sure if I will take if no symptoms show up.. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!!
Unread 11-17-2011, 10:24 PM

I appreciate the experiences too - 11 days out now, still no menopausal stuff - but was having them on and off for 12 years prior to hyst. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this is how I'll stay now!
Unread 11-18-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superitalian View Post
I am in the same situation I am 7 days out tah no symptoms... Was given a Vdot patch .. Have not started yet thought I would wait a little while until I am up and around a little better . But not sure if I will take if no symptoms show up.. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!!
One thing to consider is the ovaries produce hormones right up until surgery and you may still have estrogen stored for a few weeks.
Estrogen provides benefits to our bodies (brain, bones, heart, skin, etc.) Even after natural menopause, the ovaries still produce small amounts of hormones. Without ovaries, the estrogen production suddenly ends. When you reach rock bottom, the symptoms might start and at that point it could take awhile to build back up.
Best wishes to you.
Unread 11-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Thank you ladies!! Superitalian and torifrog, hopefully we will stay symptom free!
LoveBirds, I am learning what you said more and more as I read through the site... I'm not sure why I thought that I would immediately feel the effects. I still hope that I don't feel them but if I do, I know where to go for support
Unread 11-18-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared-ee-cat View Post
Thank you ladies!! Superitalian and torifrog, hopefully we will stay symptom free!
LoveBirds, I am learning what you said more and more as I read through the site... I'm not sure why I thought that I would immediately feel the effects. I still hope that I don't feel them but if I do, I know where to go for support
Hi Scared-ee-cat

Some conditions, like bone loss, can arise from lack of estrogen and have no early symptoms. So it's important to have regular bone scans after surgical menopause.
I've learned so much on this site and also from good books recommended by other sisters here. I especially appreciated the books by Dr. Uzzi Reiss and Dr. Elizabeth Vliet. I found their books at my public library.

Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register