Scheduled LAVH confused by the information here | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

confused by the information here confused by the information here

Unread 11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
confused by the information here

I am scheduled for a LAVH on Dec. 9th. I have talked to my Dr. and he said that even though it is considered outpatient surgery he keeps his hysterectomy patients overnight. Which is totally in line with what I am reading. However, when I asked him about going back to work etc. he said it should not be a problem by Monday morning (3 days post-op) and has not mentioned any possible driving restrictions. As such, I planned to take the friday of surgery off and return to work on Monday, I have a desk job but as I consider this to be a personal matter it is not something I have discussed with people at work. In addition to that I have to take several car trips two weeks and three weeks post op that are in the 7-8 hour range each. this isn't my first surgery and I generally recover quickly. I had a TVT several years ago for incontinance so it is definately not my first abdominal surgery.

I guess my biggest question is am I being totally unrealistic? I know that I should be directing these questions to my doctor and I will it is just that after reading everyone on here's stories and advice I am thinking that I may have to reschedule my surgery for spring (which I really don't want to since I pushed it off to December in August because my work schedule wouldn't accomodate a friday schedule which is a long story).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Re: confused by the information here

Hello

In my opinion, I think that returning to work Monday might be difficult. My LAVH isn't scheduled until January 9th, so I am only guessing. My doctor told me I couldn't return to work for at least 2-3 weeks. Obvioulsy everybody heals at different rates. Some may take more than 2-3 weeks and some may take less but I think 2-3 days is pushing it!
I know its laproscopic, but you are getting organs removed! It is major surgery! Not to mention the vaginal aspect which will most likely be sore...and there is the vaginal cuff healing to consider. (Hopefully someone who has had an LAVH can expand on these subjects.....!!)
And there is a chance it could turn into an abdominal hystereectemy if the doctor finds the laproscopic won't work.

Not to spook you. You may be absolutely fine, I just wouldn't want this surgery to be a negative or difficult experience for you! Good luck!
Unread 11-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Stellar,

Thanks for the information. I have a limited support network where I live currently and so I am trying to work through this. If I need to take the time off from work I have time saved up but would rather not use it if I don't have to because I don't want to tell my co-workers that I am having surgery. I had knee surgery earlier this year and while I manage things well at work so that I doubt if anyone notices that I have issues I really want to keep it that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2011, 01:20 PM

I haven't had my surgery yet, scheduled for an LSH on 12/1 but I believe after doing a lot of reading on here and research, that you will need at least 2 weeks especially with the LAVH. I hope this helps and I wish you all the best.
Unread 11-16-2011, 04:04 PM

I just spoke with the surgeons office and the surgery center. They just told me no driving until I am pain free and at least a week off from work probably 2 until I have my post-op visit. Now I have some major considering to do. I was really looking forward to this week being my last period. I have been home with the cramping and bleeding for two days (first time in my life I have ever given into the pain) but they warned me that it would be worse after the D&C. If I postpone it will be March before I can reschedule which for many reasons is not good including the fact that my deductible which is sizeable is already met for this year. I just don't think I can wait another 3-4 months.
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:15 PM

I gave my doctor a copy of my job description that lists all my duties - since I don't do "light desk-type work" this is especially important for him to know. I am taking 4 weeks off at a minimum, just because I'm pretty sure I'll be in no condition for long road trips, climing around on construction sites or grain elevators or oil rigs. Everything I've been told is, the first two weeks are the roughtest, pain, swelly belly, etc. But fatigue is the key complaint over on the post-op boards (if you dare go there).
Best to talk to your doctor about what is reasonable for you and the work you do. Don't be afraid to furrow your brow and ask "Are you sure? What if...?"
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:21 PM

I did what Arawyn did. I am off work for six weeks. I had a straight up endo lap in February and took a week but should have taken two.

YMMV, of course. Good luck to you!

(I also decided not to keep this a secret. I have a public sort of job and when I had to email my current clients a few weeks ago to give them a heads up, I told them why I was going on leave if they asked or offered hopes that I am okay. The office staff all knows, too.)
Unread 11-16-2011, 07:10 PM

Yeah, the girls I work closely with (and there's only a few - one being my boss) know what I'm having done, but when I had to tell the guys (and there's a lot of them) I just told them "I had to have a little girl work done" and they were like "Whoah, that's enough." and it was enough for me too.

{I didn't tell them I was totally renovating "the nursery" and turning it into a "rumpus room".} so to speak. ;-P
Unread 11-16-2011, 07:11 PM

I had a TVH and was cleared for light duty at 2 wks. Now, my job had no light duty available so I had to wait, but I think I could have done it. But I would have tired easily. At 3 days---no possible way, I was still sleepy. I don't know if that helps you at all. I'm not sure what you could tell your job, if the surgery can't wait it might be easier to have it, and just not give details at work. Best wishes for whatever you decide.
Unread 11-16-2011, 07:44 PM

I had LAVH BSO 6 weeks ago and just went back to work today. It went well with very little pain. I don't think I could have gone to work till at least the third week though. Sitting straight put pressure on my vaginal area and I still had swelling making it very uncomfortable. I also was very tired the first few weeks and any exertion over a few hours and I would be back on the couch. You need to make the choice of what is comfortable for you and your job, but like you I was undecided and worried about my job last year and put it off till recently. Since I am feeling good now and no more periods, wished I would have had it done last year and not missed out on the fun this last summer. I wish you all the best!!
Hugs!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register